The Eagles Legacy 15LP Set coming November 2, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

For Qobuz Sublime subscribers 26€... but it's only '44.1-24'.

I guess Qobuz refused to ask that price, and they made a deal to sell them in 44.1-24 at a price that is affordable for the masses.

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

So I have to pay $150, rebuy the entire catalogue again and get 14 discs in order to acquire a stereo version of "Get You In The Mood"?

No thanks..

Szeppelin75, milankey, marcb and 2 others like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The definition of unnecessary :cheers:

Duophonic and Rad Dudeski like this.
  4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Graduating from high school in 1971 in Southern California, I grew up on the Eagles. In all of my early jobs selling stereos, the #1 demo record was always the new Eagles LP.

Years ago, I bought Japanese vinyl pressings of the first six Eagles studio albums, minus Desperado, which I kept the superb sounding first US pressing. The five Japanese pressings were all upgrades from the US pressings, some significantly.

If I ever stumble onto a clean first press of the band's debut LP, I'll buy that, too.

I also kept my first US vinyl pressing of the Hell Freezes Over, along with the CD, which, with this title, you really need.

I can't speak to the quality of 2013 reissues except for On The Border. It's my favorite Eagles album so I bought the reissue of that title but listening told me the Japanese version bettered both it and the two US pressings I already had.

I agree with @NunoBento uptread. Just release the later stuff as a box and I'd buy it.
    Word.

5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I'm surprised anyone would want to listen to "Get You In The Mood" ever again. A goodie on a par with "Chug All Night".

cgoodwin22 and hominy like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Definitely not a top-shelf song, and likely not a favorite of Glenn's considering it was absent from previous collections, but for Eagles fans, it would be nice to have access to the song without plucking down $150 for this unnecessary box set.

7. PanaPlasma

Sorry I was wrong in previous posts, but in fact it's good news.

The Qobuz Download has variable bitrates. Most of it is 96kHz-24bit, apart from the Millennium Concert.

If you want the highest resolution (192kHz-24bit) or mqa, highresaudio has them for 50€
    Here's their description:
    The Legacy-Set consist of:
    Eagles
    (1972) 192kHz, 24bit
    Desperado (1973) 192kHz, 24bit
    On The Border (1974) 192kHz, 24bit
    One of These Nights (1975) 192kHz, 24bit
    Hotel California (1976) 192kHz, 24bit
    The Long Run (1979) 192kHz, 24bit
    Eagles Live (1980) 192kHz, 24bit
    Millennium Concert (2000) 44.1kHz, 24bit
    Long Road Out of Eden (2007) 192kHz, 24bit
    Single and B-Sides (2018)
    Please note: The Live-Album "Millennium Concert" is in the sampling rate 44.1kHz, 24bit.

8. PanaPlasma

For Qobuz Sublime members it's 25,99€ for the entire set, mostly in 96kHz-24bit. That's a great deal imo.

9. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

The CD box set is the Grundman/Bellman mastering on the main catalogue, which is the first time this mastering has been released on CD. I think? Maybe the 40th of Hotel California was their work?

10. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Can anyone tell us how the high res sounds? I thought the HD tracks versions sounded pretty good - curious about these.
    Thanks

11. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

And still curious about the vinyl sound quality.

12. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

On Amazon, there’s a poor review of the vinyl. That’s about the only review I could find thus far of either format.

13. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Thanks for the head's up. It's pretty expensive, and boxes can be hit or miss (although to be fair, they've been getting better lately).

14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Would love to hear how the vinyl sounds. My Eagles collection is pretty poor so far so I might just as well buy this.

15. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

Overall, I am happy with the sound quality of my copy.

The pressings are flat, quiet and centered. I personally enjoy the packaging despite not having the original album art. I will likely hang on to my vintage copies of Hotel California and earlier. They are still in good shape and would be easier to take out than the box set.

When I sit down to listen to something in a box set, it is likely that I will listening to a few albums at a time.

wwright likes this.
  16. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

"Take It Easy" on the singles disc is mono.
    What went wrong, or is it the promo version?

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

All I'm interested in are the singles. Unfortunately, you can't buy most of the lossless ones without having to buy the whole over-priced box. The only two singles available are "Take It Easy" which a mono mix, and "One Of These Nights", which is a single edit.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, that's the way the 45 was released.

19. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This has been a very expensive and tempting fall. They may have done us a big favor here. I’m in the same boat. A part 2 box would have been hard to resist. Having the first box, this one just seems too redundant.

hodgo likes this.
  20. peter

peter Senior Member

So true. I grew up in Vancouver (graduated in 1976) and the Eagles were all over the radio in those days. I remember how angry I was that they didn't come to Vancouver on the 1978 tour.

My JPN. Hotel California is fantastic but the JPN. One of These Nights that I once had was lifeless. Sold it. My fave Long Run is the CDN. STERLING bought the first day it came out in August 1979. I sent away for the lyrics, and despite not sending a self addressed, stamped return envelope, whoever was managing that campaign sent me the lyrics sheet, which is black and grey and on nice paper stock - it matches visually the graphics on TLR album cover.

I have a German original of this it is fantastic.

Re: On The Border, I have not heard anything other than my UK orig. and the U.S. STERLING (which I think is a Record Club issue), but I would be very surprised if anything could top the U.S. STERLING. It is amazing. Problem is finding a copy (any pressing) of OTB with the photo insert. 90% of copies I see don't have it.

21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I have to ask some Eagles experts to chime in - Is there any vaults of unreleased material, particularly unreleased songs from the 70s? I always wonder why there does not seem to be much of a "vault" of unreleased Eagles material, or if there is, why it doesn't get released.

22. peter

peter Senior Member

Recently, a CD titled "On Air 1980" was released with live stuff from 1980 - Long Beach and L.A. Forum.

Some might say it sounds a bit rough, but I really like the raw sound. Plus you get all the great Long Run tracks done live: Those Shoes, In The City, King of Hollywood, The Sad Café. Top recommendation.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  23. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The first album box used old masters not the 2013 Grundman, HC 40th did. You personally have the new CD box and can verify the Grundman masters we’re used? If true, I may have to consider it.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I own the CD box. The book credits Bernie and Chris Bellman for the main albums. It says Ludwig did Eagles Live, Hell Freezes Over, Millenium Concert and the Singles & B-Sides disc.

25. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

The double Greatest Hits release (1&2) plus maybe the 1980 “live” album that wasn’t really live is all I needed