The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

No, they can't. Have you quadrupled your income since then? Most people have not.

2. AndrewSlattery

AndrewSlattery Forum Resident

You had a look at the difference in housing prices between those dates champ?

3. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Some of us have. I've more than quadrupled my income. My dollar a week allowance in 1980 was trash.

Dr. Funk, Kristofa and MonkeyMan like this.
  4. Recordguy

Recordguy Forum Resident

My first job in 1984 I made $2.85/hr. Not showing off or anything but I make more than quadruple that today. :agree:

5. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

BACK TO THE EAGLES ONE STEP:

6. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

Anyone notice any difference between ordering One-Step releases directly from MOFI vs. purchasing from a store? I got the Nightfly One-Step from a store and it's flawless. I ordered the Eagles S/T LP direct. I wonder if there are packing differences between larger orders for a store vs. 1 item going to someone's house. I'm a little nervous seeing the QC concerns/issues here.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. AndrewSlattery

I got both Eagles One Steps from Mofi direct. Beautiful tight packaging in a deep 4 sided box. Similar to the acoustic sounds one. Both records arrived flawless. Both packaging and disks. It also arrived from the US to Australia in under a week. Which is truly astonishing in this climate. I'm still waiting on records I ordered 6-8 weeks ago from Udiscover music

UncleHalsey, YCC, sonofjim and 3 others like this.
  8. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Totally great news! Thanks for updates. Have you gotten a chance to listen to Desperado yet?

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Confusing logic; can you please explain how listen to an album gives you any insight into the SQ of another album? The correct way is to compare different pressings of the same album.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Stop picking on him please.

11. AndrewSlattery

Pretty simple really. If you have a reference album on your collection that gives you a level on the best your system can sound, it'll give you an idea as to how any other album sounds on your system.

Then if you have the luxury of multiple presses of the same album you can then compare song for song. I haven't got original pressed of ST or Desparado. However I do have 2 original Hotel California's, as well as the AAA best of. I would say it's enough to make a basic assessment of how it sounds. Until I have time to do a song for song. The Japanese Hotel California kills my Australian copy. And the One Step is a complete next level to both that and Belmans best of. Again only 1 listen in. But from the needle drop I was blown away by what was coming out of the speakers. Will have a listen to Desparado tonight

FashionBoy, AnalogJ, teag and 2 others like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Apples to oranges but I thank you for explaining your reasoning.

Joti Cover likes this.
  13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Wonderful to see some good news on these releases. Flawless, to Australia no less. I live 300 miles from MoFi and ave had worse luck on many occasions.

Joti Cover and AndrewSlattery like this.
  14. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I got #226. Hot stamper! Anyhoo, I'll just say, that I would be happy with my first press Monarch of Eagles self-titled, if I never had a chance at the One Step. The sound on the original is not as toppy, and sounds cohesive overall; the soundstage doesn't meld into a large wall of sound. The One Step exhibits threats of sibilance here and there, and the bass has some bloat to it. I don't regret the purchase, because I now know that I won't have to order the rest of the Eagles catalog in this format. I feel confident that my originals may be good enough.

Disc one on the One Step is slightly off center too. Kind of disappointed about that. May also need a wet-vacuum cleaning.

Quick sidenote: the Mike Fuller Criteria Eagles Greatest Hits is no slouch either.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Cassius, grx8, c-eling and 5 others like this.
  15. AndrewSlattery

Just chucked Desparado on in headphones...

Wow! 1 song in and jaw has dropped.

The soundstage is as big as a stadium!

FashionBoy, teag, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And I would buy them all if they were $10. So what?

Revenue is only one half of the profit equation. There is also cost.

Eagles, Inc is one of the biggest brands in music. They hold the cards. What if they said we want, say, $150k up front and a percentage of every album sold for each album? Do you think MFSL is going to recoup that on a $50 item or a $125 item which is almost all margin above $50?

And again, what if Eagles, Inc/UMe said “we agree to license the catalog, but it’s got to be your premium product so it doesn’t remotely complete with the $25 LPs we have sitting in stores and inventory...plus we like how the premium product compliments our Eagles brand. We’ll even put out some “unbiased” quotes about how blown away we are after listening to it”

It’s called the music business for a reason. And guys like Azoff play hardball.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

True. And, as you say, the Japan vinyl on the MoFi releases back then was far superior. All of mine from then are still absolutely stone silent. You have to hear it to believe it.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

That would be nice.

Big Blue likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It feels like you are arguing against some point I am not even making… I’m saying I would like a regular MFSL LP reissue of the Eagles albums, not that I want the OneStep records to cost less. It disappoints me when they only do OneStep reissues of albums I like because that is not the product range of theirs I am in the market to buy. When I saw “The Eagles MOFI…” in this thread title, I got excited, then I saw the “One Step” part and was deflated.

It doesn’t matter why they made that decision or whose decision it was. They released something I don’t want and not something I would want. That is all I am saying.

Cody B, PdB73, sonofjim and 3 others like this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

As a reminder, there's still a current opportunity to backorder a standard 45rpm MoFi reissue of Pearl as well as preorder the OneStep. I won't be totally surprised if the standard 45rpm becomes available again once they sell out of the OneStep.

Big Blue likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But that isn’t all you said. Are those not your words talking how you can’t believe it wouldn’t be profitable at $50.

So which is it? You don’t believe it wouldn’t be profitable at $50 or you simply wish they would release it in a format at the price point you would prefer?

Maybe I’m arguing a different point than you’re making because you are moving the goal posts...

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have no idea what is confusing here.

MoFi offers basically two vinyl products: the OneStep LPs at $125, and the regular MFSL LPs at around $50 (approximately…they seem to vary).

I would like to buy the Eagles albums as regular MFSL LP releases. They are not available, though, just these OneSteps.

How has that moved any goalposts?

Cody B, RobCos02330 and teag like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

It would be quite profitable to get beyond this issue......

FashionBoy, Adam6437, YCC and 4 others like this.
  24. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

As well as a standard 33rpm version of Tapestry and preorder the OneStep

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  25. AndrewSlattery

I just put on Desparado for another listen. This time through the speakers. It's astonishing how good this sounds. It's like I've got the Eagles Guitar amps sitting in the living room it sounds that lifelike. The instrument separation is a whole nother level to anything I've ever heard