The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Both Eagles One-Steps are in the house. These are every bit as revelatory as the Simon & Garfunkel and Mingus. The only other analog version of any Eagles material from these albums I have is the DCC Greatest Hits, which I did use to compare.

Dynamics - The UD1S excels in this area.

Instrument separation - On tracks like "Peaceful, Easy Feeling", this pressing is so transparent and clear that you could pick out one instrument and listen to only that instrument for the whole track; acoustic guitar, pedal steel, bass, drums, whatever... the separation is phenomenal.

Clarity with definition and body - The opening acoustic guitar strums of "Take it Easy" are certainly more detailed than the DCC, but not harsh or terribly etched. What is also evident, in addition to clarity and detail in the high frequencies, is that it is also possible to hear every single note the acoustic guitars are playing; it doesn't just sound like bright, indistinct strums.

Bass - The bass is not necessarily fuller, but more note-for-note correct and solid. The bass on the DCC has more of a cloud and is less distinct regarding pitch. There is a point in "Tequila Sunrise" where the bass stops playing for a beat and a half and it was noticeable, even listening casually. That's something I never heard on the DCC.

Pressing quality - Well... not perfect. Side 1 of Eagles is a bit off center, but correctable. And there a series of tics a the beginning of "Desperado" (the song... of course it had to be that track...). Why DCC was able press better vinyl 25 years ago than this is frustrating. That DCC still plays nearly silently.

Fruff76, Boots71, Joti Cover and 5 others like this.
  2. I’ve received both one steps from Mofi. Unfortunately, my Desperado discs both had a slight warp that impact play so I had to arrange for an exchange that will take several weeks. Their customer service replied to my email right away so that’s good.

Joti Cover and MikeJedi like this.
  3. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Excellent points!!!

In September 1963 my mom bought me a little tweed suitcase turntable for my birthday, and that was the turntable I heard my first Beatles single on that changed my life forever. If not for that cheap little turntable, I wouldn’t have fallen in love with music at such an young age. Let alone starting my record collection.

I now own a mid priced audiophile stereo system that I have acquired over the years that allows me to get the most out of my vinyl listing experience, as well as a tube CD player. I own over 2500 LP titles and about the same number of CD’s and I find the sound quality of these Eagles One Step pressings to be exceptional on every level.

Not everyone can afford stereo equipment that costs thousands of dollars, but they should still be allowed to share their opinion here and allow it to be considered. There is no reason to put anyone’s equipment down in the process, let alone them personally.

I received my copies yesterday and they are both perfect. No warping, no surface noise, and no off center holes. Also, I always clean my records before they hit the turntable. I purchased directly from MOFI, so I’m not sure if that made the difference with the issues others have had.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  4. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I don’t wish to be dismissive of someone who has the income and the desire to marinate in their own audiophile world, but if he really doesn’t like the music he should allow someone who does the opportunity to own them. These are limited editions and they should find a home where they will be played and enjoyed.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hmmm.... The whole point for an avid music fanatic to get a better quality system DOES allow the listener to appreciate and be affected by the music more. Otherwise a more expensive system is a largely pointless endeavor to spend more money. I can tell you that listening to a Bournmouth Symphony Orchestra performance of a Shostokovich symphony on an EMI pressing through a close to six-figure system at someone's home in their dedicated listening room rendered a goosebump-inducing experience. That system just about fully re-created the size and boundaries of the great hall in which it was recorded. It was virtually a 'you-are-there' experience. I have heard numerous excellent systems, but none was able to recreate that experience.

And the reason that system was able to do so is it got that much more of what was in the recording and in the grooves into my ears. I subsequently bought a copy of that record. It sounds very good through my system, but it doesn't re-create anywhere near that level of experience, certainly not the goosebump inducing one, that listening in that person's room. I certainly am aware that what I'm hearing in my system is nowhere near all of what is on the record. The lesser your system, the more it filters out. Anyone who is not aware of that is fooling himself. Does that mean you can't enjoy music on a lesser system? Of course you can. I do. But there's much more visceral enjoyment to be had as you get a better system (And 'better' means generally not just more expensive, but also well-mated).

6. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

I go to his store about once a month( slightly out of the way in Phoenix from where I live). He is both a collector of audiophile records and a lover of music in general. He used to own a Sports card shop in Florida amongst other ventures. I think that is where the collector side of him originated.
    He is a lot like the 45rpm audiophile guy in Germany. Both guys have no problems with income. I am an older almost retirement age man with a limited income , but if I watch my P's and Q's I can afford a One Step or Box Set here or there. I still don't own a One Step, simply because I haven't found an album that I would want to spend 125 dollars on. The Dylan BOTT was tempting though.
    When I hear Mike or the collector from Germany, along with others talk about "adding to their collection " . I think of all the collections I used to have. Ball cards records movies and comics, it's like reminiscing of a time gone by. The Ball cards and comics and most of the movies are gone. Just my first love, records are left.
    I now own 300+ albums which I trade up for quality pressings . Chris Bellman, Our host Steve Hoffman, Bernie Grundman to Ludwig , Ricker, all top masterings and pressings. So I am "small potatoes" to these other guys, but no less passionate the collector. Maybe there are people who would wish wheelbarrows of money and fancy cars that the neighbors have. I'm content in owning music that moved me as a teenager and still does it to me today. I'm happy for anyone whose happy with what they do and have, but still enjoy that next album or pressing upgrade. Enjoy and get it on.

7. JFSebastion

Does anyone know a time frame for the other 4 releases? Doubt I will be able to snag a Hotel California, but the Long Run might be doable.

8. PdB73

PdB73 Forum Resident

Owning a record store he would add lots of items to his collection for a time…especially to be able to give an opinion to his customers & viewers. And then later he has the option to recycle albums back through his store to sell.

These titles didn’t sell out fast…so true lovers of The Eagles had plenty of time to buy them if they wanted to & had the means to.

People should be able to buy whatever they want & for whatever reason they desire. And like a lot of One Step buyers, they are also an investment - so why not. He has had the experience of these titles & can part with them without losing money.

I have yet to be tempted by a One Step..but it’s great hearing everyone’s opinion on them & their enjoyment of them.

9. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Mike has said that he adds music to his collection he doesn’t care so much for because his tastes might change in the future and the records may go out of print. He has the means, so more power to him.

10. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Since you don't have your equipment profile filled out, it's hard to tell if your SACD and original vinyl pressing are having a fair fight.

I've had a few Mo-Fi SACD's that I wasn't too thrilled about until I upgraded my player and it made a big difference. But to my ears the SACD and my original white label Asylum LP pressed at Monarch are pretty damn close to my ears.

As far as the original tapes go, I'm sure Mo-Fi used them. They may had just been misplaced back in the 1970's, If that was the case then someone tracked them down.

John D. likes this.
  11. JFSebastion

When one loves something, you tend to forget the investment side of it. Good point.

12. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

I have just received in my mail box a Fedex tracking nr from Music direct
    Good news : my S/T Eagles one step should take off soon to Belgium
    Landing foreseen on next monday :goodie:

Joti Cover likes this.
  13. Frankie67

Frankie67 Member

Do you guys know any retailer who still has these? Thanks.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

At least one person compared them earlier in this thread. IIRC, the basic conclusion was they are...different. The 1st press was more mid-focused, while the one-step is somewhat mid-scooped in comparison.

kwadguy likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

I have certainly read at least one review saying that the OneStep took the self-titled up to a far higher level.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Was that/those compared to the 1st white label Asylum pressing? As near as I can tell and recall, only one person has compared the two.

Saying the 1-step takes the album up several levels from other pressings - or even white Asylum label pressings from other countries - isn’t surprising or hugely informative since other pressings are several levels down from the original US pressing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  17. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Desperado has a surprising immediacy, it really sounds closer.
    Both pressing, S/T and Desperado where very good, but not absolutely quiet between tracks.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Eagles one-steps made the trip to Tokyo. Opened Desperado - packaging in perfect shape; no seam splits or scratches on the inner jackets. The vinyl was not quite perfect as LP 1 was slightly warped and the center spindle hole was imperfect. I may flatten it in the Vinyl Flat, but it isn’t enough to affect sound.

I’ll listen to it tomorrow and can compare it to the recent Chris Bellman cut. I may also compare the tracks from the DCC as someone else did. I don’t always prefer the one step over all else. I preferred the Grundman Simon &Garfunkel to the One Step, and for some reason did not particularly care for Yes’ Fragile. With the Yes album, I loved the intro, but found the more complex passages a tad sterile, almost digital in its clarity.

Anyway, I can’t really do a fair comparison this time since my main tonearm is being refurbished. But I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and see if I have any initial thoughts.

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Glad you got it but if you are not satisfied w the condition of the vinyl, then perhaps send it back instead of using Vinyl Flat. I’ve read here that the process doesn’t work w/ Super Vinyl. Maybe another forum member can confirm that as well.

20. AnalogJ

I wouldn't be surprised if he does. But he does review them for his customers. It's well within his right to satisfy his curiosity. But after he accomplishes that, I bet he sells these copies for more than retail.

Swansong likes this.
  21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Have you ever put an UD1S or other super vinyl pressing in the Vinyl Flat? I ask because I did with the Impex Cafe Blue done with the same vinyl preparation and it appeared to make the vinyl much more noisy. Luckily, I had a replacement on the way anyhow but it was worrisome enough to me that I haven’t tried any more Super Vinyl pressings in the device.

I’ve used the Vinyl Flat on hundreds of records to great effect without incident. Luckily, both Eagles titles are flat for me. In the event I end up with another Super Vinyl pressing that’s not perfectly flat I haven’t decided what I’ll do. Lower temperature, shorter run time or just leave well enough alone.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I own a vinyl flat. It does a good job with problem vinyl.

That said, if I pay $125 for an album, no way am I going to flatten it. If it's not flat out of the package, it goes back.

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

BTW, I have a minty white label Asylum pressing of the S/T that I’ve always considered great. IMO, the UD1S betters it significantly. Yes the bass is more present but I find it well defined and not boomy. It adds to the presentation in a very positive way for me. I also hear much more presence and detail which I never thought were lacking in the original. The backing instruments come through more clearly and the original also has areas of harshness that the MoFi has cleaned up nicely.

The only complaint for me was that the outer box for S/T sustained damage in shipping. Music Direct just delivered a perfect replacement outer box this morning. Great service on theses releases. The only bummer is I have #581 and of course the new box is unnumbered. Oh well.

Cassius and marcb like this.
  24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Agreed. :righton:

25. FYI my Desperado lps each had some warping (that impacted play) and mofi was great at responding to my request for replacements. They said it will take about six weeks however.