The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I did. Mobile Fidelity Ultradisc One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

AnalogJ and sonofjim like this.
  2. Rene Fleurant

Rene Fleurant Active Member

Got my Eagles one step yesterday, 3 out of 4 records warped;(

ausamerika likes this.
  3. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

ridiculous

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I bet he keeps them. He is a collector and wants the complete set of one steps.

PdB73 and AnalogJ like this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I listened to Desperado yesterday. Didn’t do a “shoot out” per se, but also listened to selected tracks from the recent Chris Bellman cut and the tracks “Desperado” and “Tequila Sunrise” on the DCC Greatest Hits LP. The MOFI vinyl was clean and flat.

Not quite 100% sold on the One Step, but close. Overall, One Step sounds best, but there are spots where I might prefer the EQ of the others. On the opening track “Doolin Dalton”, the Bellman cut seemed to have better balance, with the initial acoustic guitars and harmonica seeming to emerge like gunslingers from a distance, whereas the clarity of the One Step made it feel a bit two dimensional.

On “Tequila Sunrise”, the multiple “s” sounds in the opening verse (“it’s another tequila sunrise starin’ slowly cross the sky . . .”) are quite prominent on the MOFI, and the background vocals at 1:03 (“she’s out running round”) maybe sound a little “tinny”? In those instances, the Bellman sounds seems smoother. The DCC is completely different, of course, with its characteristic warmth that some love and others hear as rolled off highs.

Other than that, I think the One Step sounds great, with an added clarity and huge but well articulated lower frequencies. I don’t find the bass as intrusive as I did on Yes’ Fragile.

Dmann201 and Beach House like this.
  7. Rene Fleurant

Well, good news, Mofi will be sending me replacements for my 3 warped records when they repress, wonder if sound quality will be affected since it’s an after pressing passed the 7,500 first # pressing, should it make a difference?

8. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Shouldn't matter if you get clean, flat copies this time.

Rene Fleurant likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Don't be sad. One out of four ain't bad.

Rene Fleurant and PdB73 like this.
  10. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

Any updates from Mobile Fidelity on the other Eagles titles or is there only speculation at this point?

11. Rene Fleurant

I asked this question last week when I wrote to Mofi for my replacements, apparently no date in sight, probably won’t be until the beginning of 2022 for the next two releases, they got to give us time to save up!

bmusic likes this.
  12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

between both of the eagles and the janis in such a short time, definitely need some time…

Rene Fleurant likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Just can't say no, huh?:D

djost likes this.
  14. Recordguy

Recordguy Forum Resident

I live in the states & was wondering what Mofi is currently doing about replacing copies of these one-steps? I opened my Self-Titled copy to find both records warped & a scuff & film of some sort on Record One, Side One. Are they replacing or refunding? Desperado was fine.

15. Rene Fleurant

I will be getting replacements, both records on Desperado and lp 1 on s/t, don’t know when these will get shipped, hopefully soon!

Recordguy likes this.
  16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

not to these, but have to plenty of other one steps as i only own 3

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. Christoph1967

Christoph1967 Forum Resident

if anyone is interested, the Eagles one steps arrived in Germany today, 175,00€ each on "ebay-kleinanzeigen" or 199,00€ on ebay (same dealer, very serious).

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I am in the process of rearranging my records. I got another set of Ikea Kallax shelves. I still may not have enough shelf space for all of my records.

In any event, I noticed that I had a copy of the s/t Eagles album, much to my surprise. I know I got it used, but I don't recall ever playing it.

I look inside, and it's a white label copy. It appears I paid $2 for it.

Unfortunately, my amp is still out for repair, and the repair guy is trying to reach the factory in Italy about an issue.

FWatty and sonofjim like this.
  19. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That’s even less than I paid for mine. I used to love crate digging. I found so many great pressings for under $5 that my children are now mining treasures from my doubles boxes. I’m afraid those days have passed.

That being said, I’m glad I tried the UD1S because it does sound better than that white label IMO. I still like both so my shelves get no reprieve.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I had been asked to render an opinion on the OneStep; and now I'll be able to do a comparison. Eventually.

sonofjim likes this.
  21. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Yeah, I'm also getting an additional Kalax 5x5. But that's about what room I have left, not in the least because of all those stupid bulky foam filled boxes...

22. Recordguy

Recordguy Forum Resident

Today I received a shipping notice from Fed Ex coming from North Las Vegas, so they must have shipped the replacements for my warped records. Fingers crossed.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. Rene Fleurant

I’m waiting for 3 replacements, hope they check each one to make sure they’re ok.

24. 45 RPM Audiophile

45 RPM Audiophile Forum Resident

25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Nice discussion, and I bet they sound amazing. I passed on these because I know I’ll never pull them out to listen. Good stuff, but played out for sure.

bmh5879 likes this.