The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm curious - anyone like the early MoFi of HC?

vinylrules likes this.
  2. vinylrules

vinylrules Forum Resident

You are so welcome!

The OG info is as follows:

Asylum Records (cat# 7E-1084) • Lee Hulko/Sterling (1976)

Oz

mpayan and Joti Cover like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think it actually has its positives. But some strange stuff going on there also. Big ol soundstage though.

Joti Cover and vinylrules like this.
  4. vinylrules

I do! After the DCC it is my second favorite!

Oz

Joti Cover and AnalogJ like this.
  5. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I do. It's better than my LH Sterling.

My One Step arrived a week ago. I have not posted because I haven't done a direct comparison yet. But I think that I already know what the outcome will be.

Joti Cover, vinylrules and AnalogJ like this.
  6. AnalogJ

I'll say this about the earlier MFSL HC. It's smooth, the images are large, and the midrange is full. Yes, the ballads come across really well.

But it lacks some sparkle and edge. In terms of harmonic juiciness, it's a bit dry. Maybe it's a little too smooth. It is almost a bit polite. I wish it had a bit more bite and harmonic bloom.

It's very good, and the vinyl is super quiet. I feel the same about the early MFSL of the Tony Bennett/Bill Evans album. The AP 45 is more juicy, more detailed, but thy MFSL is very good (and better than the Acoustic Revival AS pressing from the early '90s.).

vinylrules likes this.
  7. AnalogJ

What would you say are, in your experience, its strengths?

vinylrules likes this.
  8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not to me

vinylrules likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Interesting, thanks Sam

vinylrules likes this.
  10. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Nobody is going to be making quick minute adjustments on their Vimeo volume control. It’s on you to create a balanced presentation in videos like this, and you can normalize your samples just fine using careful gain adjustment, and your ears, only.

When I rebalance the volume of the samples, using the perceived loudness of the lead vocal as my primary guide, the one-step definitely has its merits. But the way you have them balanced I can’t imagine anyone thinking the one-step is any good.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Dude, you said your piece and he already acknowledged your response by stating he'll do it differently next time.

Now you're just harping on this for no good reason. Either wait for the next (FREE!) video or show us how it's done since you have all the answers.

vinylrules likes this.
  12. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

First i have to state that i do not have any copies of hotel california. For me i have the eagles long run , one step st and greatest hit (dcc vinyl and cd). When i hear reviews of vinyl album, i always take it with a grain of salt. The number of variations of cartridges, tone arms , phono stages and turntables are too numerous to say that there is a reference sound. This does not even include our individual preferences of what we find is the most crucial in what makes a reference recording. I am sure vinylrules , with his system, finds the one step lacking is true to what he heard . His collaborator heard the same thing. This is with his system. Sone people found the dcc version to be a bit soft. Perhaps vinylrules system leans a bit towards an emphasis on the highs, which might explain why the dcc sounds perfect and the one step more strident. I would have found it more helpful if his collaborator had done the test in his own system and by himself. ie where they both comparing notes when they listen to the various records or did they not discuss it and did their evaluation separately. Steve Westman just did a video of the best sounding one step, and his friend who compiled the list, came to a conclusion that the hotel calfifornia was the best sounding non jazz one step produced with abraxas being either 3rd or 4th. Again this is his opinion based on his system and listening preferences. There seems to be more positive then negative review . I will probably pick up the one step, since i liked the st eagle one step and i value clarity and detail more than the other traits.

vinylrules, Munger74 and Isamet like this.
  13. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I’ve enjoyed listening to the HC one step. The performances seem livelier to me. Unfortunately I’m going to be waiting for MD to exchange both discs and their sleeves. My copy was noisy thru a number of tracks. Listening to the opening song with crackles thru the guitar due a poor pressing, is not pleasant. Curious if anyone here as had problems with surface noise and also getting the dreaded MOFI seam split at the top of each sleeve.

vinylrules likes this.
  14. vinylrules

Two things...

I disagree it is such a major hassle to simply "ride the gain" on-the-fly to compensate. But it is a grievance for you. OK.

Also, I respectfully disagree that adding the extra volume can magically "fix" the spectral balance of the MOFI One-Step.
    I've done it and it just highlights the problem even more.

Oz

mpayan, Joti Cover, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Mine was very noisy on track A1 (even after a VPI clean) so MD is sending me a replacement disc.

I will say I found the sound of the 1-Step of HC to be quite astonishing. I don't have a DCC to compare, but the 1-Step certainly beats my original US copy.

The 1-Step mastering strikes a great balance between detail/separation and overall sound. I was worried it might sound like a total remix as with Thriller, but it is pretty true to the original while providing a lot more information. Love it.

16. vinylrules

I think it is a cleaner, more polished presentation over the OG. The highs are cleaner and dynamic have more slam. And by the way, I do not dislike the OG. I think it is fantastic overall, noise and all. It's got the warmth and body that the One-Step severely lacks in my humble opinion.

I theorize that this lack of midband heft is probably also the reason why the One-Step segments sound subjectively softer. It's probably because a big chunk of the midrange is missing!

Joti Cover, AnalogJ and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Do you have a discogs link for the KG AAA?

vinylrules likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

Yes, if something is too bright, then raising the volume is not going to help. Raising the volume can sometimes wake up a record that seems dull (such as maybe the UHQR Pretzel Logic, which many have said sounds rolled off on top), and it can bring out a timid bass, but it's not going to tame highs that are hot to begin with.

Joti Cover, japhyman and vinylrules like this.
  19. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I think there is a good reason , his video will have some decent reach and affect people’s buying decisions, just as his posts have stirred up plenty of good discussion here. The individual samples being posted for download were super helpful and I’ve already thanked him for that. Happy to move on though.

mpayan and vinylrules like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Already posted it on the previous page. :)

vinylrules likes this.
  21. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Agreed, I don’t think volume matching will fix anything, but I think I at least understand what Mofi was going for that way, it sounds like with the EQ they were going for a more modern presentation perhaps, cleaning up the midrange. I grew up hearing the Eagles on soft rock radio stations in the 80’s and I wonder if Mofi was aiming for a bit of a “tougher” more aggressive sound in revisiting the material? I have the Eagles Greatest hits DCC LP as well as some earlier Eagles one-steps and I get a similar impression comparing tracks off of those.

mpayan and vinylrules like this.
  22. AnalogJ

@vinylrules

Oz, is your video comparing the four files still around? It seems to have been taken down via the link on You Tube.

vinylrules likes this.
  23. vinylrules

Hey buddy not sure which video you mean? If you mean the one I shared that compared the four versions of Hotel California "on the fly" during play, that's still up but it is on Vimeo, not YouTube.

I first uploaded it to my YouTube channel but it was swiftly blocked worldwide. Thankfully I have a Vimeo account for such instances.

And if you meant the other video which was a collaboration with Scott Wilson of The Pressing Matters, as far as I know, that too is still up on his channel. Let me know if you need either link and I will PM them to you.

[ edit ] I have just PM'd them to you. Look at your inbox :)

Oz

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    AnalogJ likes this.
  24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Do you find it bright? Clearer, yes. But saying "bright" implies "shrill" and hard sounding, like bad digital. In no way does the One Step HC sound like that on my system.

Randy Goldberg and vinylrules like this.
  25. Sam

Sam Senior Member

lol. You keep referring to the spectral balance as a "problem." LOL. Not on my system. You must realize that you are biasing people with that sort of text. You see it as a "problem," and I see it as a fix I've been waiting years for in comparison with the DCC.

japhyman, Piero, vinylrules and 2 others like this.