The Easybeats: Album by Album Thread (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

1. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

[​IMG]
    The Easybeats' third album is being re-released on vinyl (after their first two albums). I assume these are taken from the CD masters. This artwork looks odd in terms of the colours. Look at how yellow Harry's hair is.

2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Did anybody ever hear the two Easybeats albums that Music On Vinyl (MOV) put out? I'd assume they are both mono?

I've got 70s Albert Australian reissues of these two, wondering if the MOV have any chance of sounding better.

Mike Griffiths, D.B. and paulisdead like this.
  3. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I think what’s happened here is BMG either no longer have or can’t be bother finding the original artwork. An old trick among reissue labels is to take a scan of an original LP or CD and hide the artifacts by increasing the contrast, as you can see with the reissue cover.

The yellow I can’t explain, but could have easily been fixed with a little Photoshop colour correction.

Mike Griffiths, team2 and D.B. like this.
  4. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

I've not heard these either, and would be similarly interested in reading the opinions of those who have!

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I was checking these out on Amazon.ca and found It's 2 Easy for only $22 so I took a chance on it. I'll let you know my thoughts on it after I've listened.

Mike Griffiths, D.B. and paulisdead like this.
  6. paulisdead

I'll be looking forward to it. I wonder if the Repertoire masters were used for vinyl or as Don Bartley created new ones? Alberts should have the masters of Easy and It's To Easy in their tape library (or the NFSA library now).

Mike Griffiths and Revolver like this.
  7. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Ace, thanks! The only original Easys LP I have on vinyl is the first one, and it'd be great if the new releases were decent ones. Most likely they'll be based on the Repertoire sources, but who knows? Love to hear your thoughts down the line...

8. paulisdead

I will say the Don Bartley cut of The Best of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl is worth tracking down. It was pressed for Australian RSD in 2014 but you can find copies online for not insane prices.

The Easybeats - The Best Of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl

For those new to Australian pressings, Bartley is the same mastering engineer responsible for the famous audiophile cut of Sgt. Pepper: The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

9. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I did a quick comparison of the MOV and the 70s AUS Albert Productions pressing I have. I think I like the MOV better. I'd say it has a bit more presence and the bass is a bit more pronounced. The Albert pressing is fine too, but I enjoyed the MOV more. Didn't notice any digital harshness or anything like that.

Not sure if its from the Repertoire sources. This album is the only one I don't have on CD. But they did a nice job considering it was probably cut from digital.

D.B. likes this.
  10. paulisdead

If it's the red label release then I think you mean 1980's reissue rather than 70's. Both Easy and It's 2 Easy were reissued in fake stereo from mono. The recent trend with Easybeats remasters has been to issue the recordings in their true mono state.

D.B. likes this.
  11. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Thank you for letting us know about the MOV repress, what you've written has now got me interested in getting the MOV vinyl of the second and third albums.

I did get the download version of Pretty Girl+, mastered by Don Bartley, and that really is a fantastic remaster. Really love it!

Revolver and paulisdead like this.
  12. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Yes you're right. It's the 1984 pressing. I didn't realize they were fake stereo as there are no markings on those 80s Albert reissues. Its 2 Easy didn't sound too bad summed up to mono anyway lol.

D.B. and paulisdead like this.
  13. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that download out. It seems all of my pre-Friday On My Mind LPs are poor pressings. I'm going to pick up Volume 3 as well. Pretty sure it will improve on the "Downunder" label pressing I bought long ago, which I'd guess is an unofficial release...

14. paulisdead

Here's the original post on the reissues from Nov 2015:

The Easybeats: Album by Album Thread (pt3)

Revolver likes this.
  15. paulisdead

Price Guide Update:

I've been revisiting the thread, going through the dead TinyPic links to see what I can repost. I came across my old post for prices of Easybeats vinyl in Australia. This was as of 2014 and as most Aussie posters here know, prices have gone up considerably (as predicted). So, for the sake of keeping the information here current, here's an update of the state of Easybeats vinyl in 2019. eBay prices based on popsike listings:

For 1st Aussie Pressings in VG - NM condition

Prices in Australian Dollars (AUD)

Easy

eBay $35 (VG/VG+) - $250.00 (NM)
    Discogs $120 (VG+) - $271 (M)
    Brick and Mortar Store - $150 (VG+)

It's 2 Easy

eBay $35 (VG/VG+) - $250.00 (NM)
    Discogs $60 (VG+) - $215 (NM)
    Brick and Mortar Store - $150 (VG+)

Volume 3

eBay $50.00 (VG/VG+) - $120.00 (EX+)
    Discogs $72 (VG+) - $348 (NM)
    Brick and Mortar Store - ??? - It's been a long time since I've seen one.

The Best of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl

eBay $20.00 (VG/VG+) - $150.00 (VG/VG+)
    Discogs $10 (VG) - $130 (M)
    Brick and Mortar Store - $40 (VG+)

Vigil (Australian version)

eBay $200.00 - $450.00 (VG+)
    Discogs $150 (VG+) - $295 (NM)
    Brick and Mortar Store ???? - Never seen one in store

Friends (Australian version)

eBay $40.00 (VG+) - $128 (NM)
    Discogs $60 (VG) - $149 (NM)
    Brick and Mortar Store ???? - Never seen one in store. Although the Rock Legends reissue is quite common.

The Best of The Easybeats Volume 2

eBay $170 (VG+) $300 (VG PROMO)
    Discogs $219 (VG+)
    Brick and Mortar Store ???? - Never seen one in store

TimeWarper and Revolver like this.
  16. TimeWarper

I’ve seen a copy of Volume 3 selling for $500! The condition was pretty average.

As well as a promo cover of the same record going for the same price.

17. paulisdead

:bigeek:

D.B. likes this.
  18. TimeWarper

Just checked Discogs, a 'mint' copy of 'Volume 3' is selling from Russia for $800 dollars. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the way you look at it) it won't ship to Australia.
    It just gets worse and worse.

D.B. likes this.
  19. paulisdead

$800 is insane and pure price gouging. Volume 3 isn't even the least common out of the Easybeats' Australian studio albums (that would be Vigil). It's hard to find a copy of Volume 3 at above a VG, but not impossible.

D.B. likes this.
  20. Jae

Jae Senior Member

I found an Aussie copy of Vigil at the local record fair on Sunday for $50! VG condition though (cover was VG+). I already have an NM- copy so left it for someone else.

21. TimeWarper

I'm happy I got a copy of Volume 3 for $80 at a record fair a few weeks ago, even then I thought it was a bit much. Probably around VG+. Speaking of that what's the average price of Stevie Wright albums? I picked up a copy of Hard Road from a record fair not too long ago for $25 in pretty good shape.

D.B. likes this.
  22. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident

Bought the two MOV reissues recently and very happy with these. Compare very favourably to my originals. Speaking of Stevie, some insane prices out there for Black Eyed Bruiser.

D.B. likes this.
  23. Jae

Jae Senior Member

BEB has recently been (legitimately) re-released on CD. Much more reasonably priced! Sounds great too.

D.B., Mylene and paulisdead like this.
  24. paulisdead

Pretty much what you got it for. Hard Road was a big seller in Australia. Black Eyed Bruiser also sold, but not as sell, should be worth around $25-$30 for a VG+. The rarest thing with Stevie Wright is the first release Black Eyed Bruiser Alberts black label CD. Surprisingly, this doesn't come up that often and commands premium prices.

Stevie Wright - Black Eyed Bruiser

Note that there are actually at least two issues of BEB on CD, the 1st Albert EMI (4770702) and the Sony Music release from 1992 (475607 2) . What not surprise me if there was a third CBS disc out there as well (like with the other black label Alberts releases on CD).

D.B. likes this.
  25. paulisdead

Did they use the 2013 Don Bartley remaster?

D.B. likes this.