The Easybeats: Album by Album Thread (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

1. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

2. D.B. and cwitt1980 like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I've heard it once.

Mike Griffiths likes this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I oddly enjoy these kinds of albums. Plus I have a radio program at the local community station so I'm always looking for good background music like this. Hopefully a copy will float up from somewhere. I have my doubts there's anything digital out there.

D.B. likes this.
  5. team2

team2 Forum Resident

If you can manage the time, it's definitely worth it to read through all three parts of this thread from the very beginning. We've covered so much ground, that you might end up discovering some nuggets of info you never even thought of asking about, LOL!

D.B. and william r small like this.
  6. william r small

william r small Forum Resident

I'll stand by what I wrote before. The "1-A" Version of "Falling..." has appeared only on American United Artists single No. 50206 but never on any vinyl collections. (It was found later on Australian single No. Parlophone 8290.) These are both the sparse mix lacking the overdubs applied to the "Vigil" version. This same version did appear on an American CD release on "The Very Best of The Easybeats" Varese Sarabande No. 302 066 437 2. This CD, assembled by Andrew Sandoval, includes the unedited intro sax note from "St. Louis," and also the UK single mix of "Land of Make Believe" from British single 2219. Excellent sound and most worthwhile for completists.

And by the way, after further extensive research I have determined that the very last Easybeats shows before departure for the UK consisted of the following -

11 Jun 66 -- Odd Mod Disco, Civic Centre, Kew; Mod Disco, City Hall, Mentone
    12 Jun 66 -- Opus Disco, Ormond Hall, Melbourne
    13 Jun 66 -- Tenth Avenue Discotheque, Melbourne
    15 Jun 66 -- Impulse Disco, Melbourne
    17 Jun 66 -- Lyndale Disco, Melbourne; Penthouse Disco, Melbourne
    18 Jun 66 -- Coloured Cave at Town Hall, Brighton; Claxton Disco, Melbourne; Crescendo Disco, St John's Parish Hall, Camberwell Junction
    18 Jun 66 -- "Bandstand" (TV) TCN-9 Sydney (taped earlier)
    20 Jun 66 -- GO! Show, (TV) ATV-0, Melbourne
    26 Jun 66 -- "Kommotion Weekend Special" (TV) ATV-0 Melbourne

02 Jul 66 -- Big Daddy's Discotheque, Adelaide
    03 Jul 66 -- "Action" (TV) SAS-10, Adelaide (host 'Big' Bob
    Francis,taped earlier)
    03 Jul 66 -- "Hoadley's Battle of the Sounds / Farewell To the
    Easybeats" Sydney Stadium (afternoon) staged by Radio Station 2UW.
    03 Jul 66 -- "It's All Happening" (ATN-7 evening studio video taping) -["The Easy Beats Coca Cola Special"] for the 7 TV Network with Janice Slater, Tony Worsley & The Blue Jays and Billy Thorpe
    (broadcast 19 Nov 66)) ("She's So Fine," "Wedding Ring," "I'll Make you
    Happy," "I Can See,""Sorry," "Easy As Can be," "Someday Somewhere,"
    "In My Book," "Come And See Her," "Women," "A Very Special Man," "Coke
    Ad"
    05 Jul 66 -- JB's at The Bowl, Toowomba (fan photo shown below)
    [​IMG]

tages, Hep Alien, paulisdead and 3 others like this.
  7. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Great stuff, Bill! Amazing we're still filling in gaps of info after all this time...

D.B. and william r small like this.
  8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

9. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I agree with that. I'm just trying to raise interest here in case someone has it and wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge in how it sounds.

11. paulisdead

[​IMG]

Not to ruin the continuity, but has anyone seen these before? They're the 2014 RSD reissues but in coloured vinyl. They originally were only advertised as black vinyl, so I wonder what the origin of these are?

D.B. and Mylene like this.
  12. Ricky Minerva

Ricky Minerva Forum Resident

it was released in Australia in 1967 instead of the "good friday" lp (which was only available in Australia via the world record club)...it was all mono

13. TimeWarper

I actually own a copy on yellow vinyl. Maybe these were reissued after the original black vinyl.

paulisdead likes this.
  14. paulisdead

Did you get it as a RSD release or later?

15. paulisdead

Yep. This is the 2014 reissue with the UK tracks in stereo. The stereo tracks are believed to be remixed in the 1980's.

Albert Productions RSD 2014 180g Reissues Thread

16. TimeWarper

I actually got it last week! Haven’t been able to find anything on it. It doesn’t look like a RSD release though.

17. paulisdead

The black vinyl version came out as a RSD Australia exclusive along with other Albert Production titles (including Stevie’s Hard Road). Copies later began turning up in JB Hi-Fi and a few online stores. I had no idea it was released in coloured vinyl. It wasn’t advertised at the time

The Easybeats - The Best Of The Easybeats + Pretty Girl

18. TimeWarper

Do you think the coloured vinyl were prototypes or something. The yellow and black marble record looks less to be desired.

paulisdead likes this.
  19. TimeWarper

Interesting how many Easybeats vinyl reissues we got in the last 12 or so years:

Easy (Downunder, Music on Vinyl)
    It’s 2 Easy (Downunder, Music on Vinyl)
    Volume 3 (Downunder, Music in Vinyl)
    Good Friday (RSD)
    TBOTE+PG (RSD)
    Vigil (Downunder, RSD)
    Absolute Anthology

Nearly all of the Easybeats albums were reissued. I understand the limited editions, I assume the audience for these isn’t too big (considering how many I find on auction sites).

paulisdead likes this.
  20. paulisdead

It’s an interesting time for Easybeats fans for sure. On the one hand, the original LP’s have climbed in price but the offical reissues have been a good way for new fans to grab their work.

I’d imagine that Friends will eventually be re-released on vinyl as well. But what we really want is the unreleased stuff.

team2 likes this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I did a quick search here and didn't see anything. Posted from Andrew Sandoval's Facebook page:

Very sad to have to share the news that my friend & fellow musical scholar, Bill Small, passed away on Tuesday.

We met after a Dave Davies concert in Ohio in 1997 and as we packed up our gear from the show, he approached me and asked if I was Andrew Sandoval. I said I was and he said he was a friend of Doug Hinman, who had sent him to say "hello." He then asked me who my favorite groups were and I immediately replied: "The Beatles, The Kinks & The Easybeats."

That last name set off a 23-year-long conversation. I thanked my lucky stars to have met Bill, who shared my passion not only for The Kinks and Easybeats, but also The Troggs, Left Banke, Turtles, Beau Brummels and Byrds. But passion and knowledge are two different things.

Bill had actually seen The Byrds with Gene Clark, belonged to the Left Banke fan club and had talked regularly with Ray and Dave Davies since they returned to the States in 1969. His memory was precise, vivid and incredibly detailed. He provided me with so much information and fun learning from his first-hand experiences with our heroes.

In the last couple of years we made a real effort to talk regularly, and for that I am quite fortunate. If you knew Bill or his wife Denise, you may leave any condolences here; Denise is not on email nor does she have access to Bill's computer. I have promised to send her anything in printed form via standard mail.

Sending him love and good wishes - he will not be forgotten.

22. TimeWarper

I found these TV appearances of Hello How Are You and Friday On My Mind online that I'd never seen before. They appear to be from the same show in 1968, does anyone know where these may come from?

Phil D, D.B., Hep Alien and 1 other person like this.
  23. TimeWarper

24. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

They were filmed on a Spanish TV show.

The Easybeats visited Spain in late 68 and they appeared on Spanish tv show called "Tele-Ritmo".

paulisdead and TimeWarper like this.
  25. kinkkontroversy

kinkkontroversy Forum Resident

Wow, those are cool. They're just lip-syncs, but new footage is always super neat.

Bill, paulisdead and TimeWarper like this.