The end of the CRT era...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agaraffa, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm 45 years old and starting in the late 70's, when I got my first 13" black and white (wood grained) TV, I've always had a CRT in my home. From TV's to computer monitors, I've been the proud owner of at least one (usually many) of these (now dinosaurs of a bygone era) for the past 40 years or so. Well it all came to an end today... I dropped off my last CRT at the recycling center this morning. It was a 27" Sharp TV, I bought it about 20 years ago and it was still functioning fine... a tribute to a solid technology that served me well over the decades. Just wondering if any of you are still running any of the old beasts?

2. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I still have a Commodore 2002 monitor from the mid-80s. Still worked a couple years ago for testing when my LG flatscreen crapped out. I couldn't believe it.

chilinvilin and OcdMan like this.
  3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Not televisions, but I noticed that in the police station on the show "Battle Creek", they still have CRT monitors for their computers. I suppose this is supposed to show how underfunded their department is.

My only remaining CRT is in an oscilloscope.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The only CRT I still own is paired up with my Atari 1040ST...its midi capabilities were the reason I bought it all those years ago.

[​IMG]

coffeetime, sunspot42, drasil and 4 others like this.
  5. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Of the 5 TVs in my house 4 are standard Definition CRTs.

Dude111, chilinvilin and inperson like this.
  6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Once I had LCD, I couldn't get rid of my CRTs fast enough. The only CRT I have left is the one in my Dig Dug upright cabinet, which is only a few years old.

Rhapsody In Red and longdist01 like this.
  7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

My 32" JVC CRT is set up in the cellar with all of my other older components (DVD player, AVR, speakers). And as another poster mentioned, I have a scope with a CRT, so that's 2.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I recently got rid of my CRT for a new Dell LCD. I made the right call. I also donated my CRT to charity, because it still worked great.

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I still have my TV in storage "just in case" and have a couple of vintage original Macs with CRTs built in.

It seemed like overnight in the mid to late 00's that I started suddenly seeing CRT TV's at the side of the road with "FREE" signs on them. That went on for a few years and then it suddenly stopped. I suppose that by that time everyone that wanted to upgrade had done so.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Two functional sets that are never used.

Grant likes this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

All in the dumpster long ago :cheers:

Rufus McDufus and bradman like this.
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Only 1 CRT left, the living room TV.

13. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My Sony XBR 32 still works, it's sitting in the garage because I'm too cheap to pay a disposal fee to get rid of it.

15. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

28" Panasonic. Essential for bootlegs sourced from vhs/ 8mm etc.

Panama Hotel and The Pinhead like this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I have a 32" HD CRT. It's picture is still excellent, and we don't watch much TV downstairs, so I foresee it being with me for a long while hence.

17. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I fail to understand why someone would give up using a perfectly fine working machine.

I use things till they don't function anymore.

I'm glad I don't have any Jones' to keep up with. ;)

gitters, milankey, vegafleet and 8 others like this.
  18. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Nothing I've seen can match the colours of my Sony 27" CRT.

19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I have a 17-inch Trinitron CRT monitor on my photographic workstation...and two (used) 17-inch Trinitron CRT monitors in boxes waiting for the one in use to give up the ghost.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I had a large CRT monitor I used in my office for a few years. It doubled as a space heater. :D It also took up about half of the usable space on my desk. I suspect it was giving me a healthy "glow" too.

I have a CRT (TV) in my infrequently used den too.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    1970 likes this.
  21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

3 TVs in my house; all of them are standard Definition CRTs. I watch my huge collection of SD DVD concerts on the bigger one at the living room. I can't stand the way LCDs make the picture look, even in HD. Call me old school if you want:laugh:

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

We are still using a small tube TV. It was my partner's (mine, which we discarded, was also a CRT, but was smaller). Replacing it hasn't been a high priority because we watch most of our TV online.

23. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member Thread Starter

The main reason I upgraded my TVs is just due to updated technologies. Everyone in my house watches Netflix, Hoolu, Youtube, etc. more than traditional television. Having smart TVs just makes that a lot easier.

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Because my new flat screens look vastly better then my old Sony CRT does. It has nothing to do with keeping up with the Jones.

Billy Infinity, DLD, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  25. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

When I first replaced my small RCA "Colortrak" TV in my office with a "modern" upgrade, it took a while to get used to. The CRT was actually much sharper. The very noticeable pixelation on the new TV drove me crazy. The same thing happened at work when our monitors were upgraded.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.