The Essential Guide To All The Euro 'Grey' Market Record Companies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Snapper has done PD stuff as well as 100% legit stuff.

ebro and Ridin'High like this.
  2. BradOlson

The Real Gone UK Duane Eddy collection uses the Ronco 1979 re-recording of Movin' and Groovin' rather than the original which is illegal for a European PD label to do.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Lurgan Lad and Ridin'High like this.
  3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You're right, Disky don't count, they are a long running budget EMI sub-label releasing tons of legitimate classical music as well as cheapo pop compilations.

Also, Snapper are/were in some way related to Peaceville Records (i.e. the latter is a subdivision of the former or vice versa), so Snapper surely DON'T belong to such a list either.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Membran occasionally license some stuff too. I have at least one classical box set by them which is a modern digital recording.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

But the classic early Louis Armstrong stuff issued on the "non-original" JSP label has never sounded better (despite the multiple attempts of the "original" labels to reissue it). A case-by-case basis applies.

Imagine70 likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Re: Hot Fives and Sevens: here again it's a matter of opinion as though I like Davies' work a lot, I think the Columbia box sounds better to me on my system.

I think Chronogical Classics, Neatwork and Masters of Jazz (Media 7) should be mentioned here as grey market labels.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

JSP's Louis Armstrong set was mastered for them by the late John R.T. Davies (and so were their Bix Beiderbecke and Jelly Roll Morton sets), back in the days when JSP didn't "borrow" other labels' transfers/masterings.

RZangpo2 and Jackie P like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think "PD labels" would be a better term than "grey labels", as the latter suggests that they're doing things that are illegal, which isn't the case in Europe, where they or most of them are based - unless they're releasing bootlegs, of course.

goodiesguy, Imagine70 and Bronth like this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Here in the states gray market has long been the term for these. They aren't really legal there, though they proliferate (the US has a long history of this sort of legal ambivalence in sales etc.).

10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I had a Caravan anthology CD on Disky in the mid-90s that was wretched. Thankfully Decca reissued
    them all.

I do own several of the JSP pre-war blues boxes and I keep my Dixon-Goodrich-Rye discography handy.

11. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm sure you're right. I wonder if its intentionally misleading? Makes me think of the Real Gone Jazz label, from Europe, which is completely different than the Real Gone label that posts here occasionally about its new issues.

My sense at this point is that we will not see more Eric or Hit Parade label releases, because the grey market labels have killed them in their specialized areas (50s and early 60s).

But I still hope we may get the next year of the 1960s instrumentals series.

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I know, and his work is truly remarkable. :edthumbs: Still, in a sense, transferring and remastering any old material, 78's included, does mean "borrowing" something that was already "mastered" by somebody, even if at the time of Hot Fives & Hot Sevens mastering mostly meant straight recording/cutting.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

BTW, I'm quite surprised that nobody mentioned Naxos and Le Chant Du Monde (Harmonia Mundi) which do a lot of PD stuff (AFAIK, utilizing their own in-house transferring and mastering engineers).

Lurgan Lad and Ridin'High like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You're right, of course, but what I meant is that JSP (and other labels) often "borrowed" transfers/masterings that were done and paid for by others (Mosaic, Bear Family, to name just two) in more recent times - but I'm sure you know what I meant :)

Ridin'High likes this.
  16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep. AFAIK, Membran also tend to "re-use" existing transfers adding ridiculous amounts of noise reduction to them. I'm probably done with their PD stuff because of that and I'm hardly interested in anything JSP released after the passing of Davies.

Lurgan Lad likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, the Membran releases I've heard were smothered by unbelievable amounts of noise reduction. Their Ellington CDs come to mind. It always amazes me that some people actually like the sound on those - makes me take their opinions on sound quality with a bag of salt :)

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Naxos often hires Mark Obert-Thorn for their PD releases. As far as I know he's an independent engineer who's doing work for other labels as well. John R.T. Davies was also independent, he mastered a lot of stuff for labels other than JSP.

19. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Seeing a few albums in a couple local shops. There is a sticker on the front presumably written by shop owner that reads "euro repress". I've seen Neil Youngs "on the beach", Kinks "village green", Tom waits "Bone Machine" amongst others. All going In the 30 dollar range. Something just seems a bit off with the pressings. Assuming these would be bootlegs?

20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Not bootlegs, counterfeits.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, IIRC, Mark Obert-Thorn also worked for Pearl and probably other labels as well, so the term "in-house" in his case probably wasn't the best match (I rather meant the "in-house" process of transferring and remastering). The Naxos PD jazz series also seems to use unique transfers and mastering, albeit there's a bit more NR (still applied rather tastefully) than on their classical releases.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The noise reduction on the Naxos PD jazz CDs that I've heard is still too much to my taste.

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Purple Haze Records
    Charly

24. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Agreed, but at least it's more tolerable that on those Membran discs. Well, anything is... :D

25. BradOlson

Imagine70 likes this.