The Essential Guide To All The Euro 'Grey' Market Record Companies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Mar 26, 2013.

1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Stopped at HPB with the wife.
    My pick...

[​IMG]
    Her pick...

[​IMG]

Darryl

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Picked this up for my wife to show her the differences between originals & rerecording.

[​IMG]

Darryl

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Currently playing this...

[​IMG]

Darryl

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Ricky Nelson is getting a proper music box set.

[​IMG]

Picked up the recent one on The Everly Brothers.

[​IMG]

Darryl

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

@greelywinger How many PD Buddy Holly collections do you have with the same material?

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've lost count. These are great for playing in the car.
    My wife loves it when I bring home a new (to her) CD of Buddy's music (thought not as much as Ricky Nelson).
    If I'm at HPB and I see CDs by Buddy & Ricky, I'll pick up the Ricky one for my wife.
    She doesn't mind that these are many of the same songs.
    The CD is new to her. She doesn't understand that material is repeated over several CDs.
    The music makes her happy. :wiggle:

Darryl

Edit...BTW I have a lot of stuff on my iPod, but...
    When I'm in the car, I just want to grab a CD and go.
    I keep a few in the car for listing while I'm driving.

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Old thread, but just wanted to say thank you for this great thread/post. Getting into jazz these days and was visiting our favorite reggae site and wouldn't you know it, plenty of LHJ, EJC and Real Gone Jazz stuff all over the place for <$10. Ton of music for cheap on the upside, but questionable sources just leave me cold on the whole thing.

Jackie P likes this.
  9. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I have been a bit of a jazz idiot for several decades now, and even as gray-market as it may be here in the U.S., I picked up Membran's Jazz Lunch box of 52 CDs, with one dedicated to each group or main bandleader. Track listings seem a bit random to me, and others may find the sound iffy, but it's proven to be an ideal way to figure out who I like and who I don't. That way, I can figure out the best way to allocate my Mosaic investments. :winkgrin:

phillyal1 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I haven't read thru the whole thread, so I won't be surprised if someone else has mentioned them, but how about Keyhole. They seem to have released most of the key Velvet Underground bootlegs to a larger audience (even seen them at a few local record stores). Not that their mastering seems any better than the bootlegs they sourced their catalog from.

11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm on my way to jazz idiocy right now. Cheers! :cheers:

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Keyhole is grey area label. I have the 2nd Tonto album (It's About Time) of theirs on CD and it is a needle drop but not terrible sounding, but still listenable. If Malcolm Cecil puts it out someday legitimately I will buy his version. Aurora is another grey area label that puts out some interesting psych reissues as well.

13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

What's the deal with Andorra? I remember Disconform, who sold Embryo reissues with "20 bit remastering" and great bonus tracks. Maybe it's a tax haven.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Several of those public-domain labels are based in Andorra, which is not a EU member state and indeed seems to be a tax haven. It has its own copyright rules.

Ridin'High likes this.
  15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Naxos and Le Chant Du Monde are not primarily PD publishers, on the contrary. Mentioning them here seems very unfair to me.

16. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

The one thing that needs to be remembered about these European labels with questionable masters sources is that they are currently largely responsible for keeping quite a wide swath of classic & archival material on the sales counter at prices that are designed to make you smile. The Real Gone/One Day outfit has taken many 1950's stars & recordings, including some north of $100 Blue Note & Verve Jazz albums and artists, and brought bundles of them back out to the casual listener, not just the ultra fevered collector with extra deep pockets. Add in things like the "Amazon factor" and it's really a no-brainer to scoop as many of these collections as you can.:righton::uhhuh:

jeffsjazz likes this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

True, I remember when I had to buy Marginal Records to get Cameo-Parkway material.

What I feel worst about, is when One Day and others takes the material from Rhino or Ace or other legitimate releases (as I assume they often do).

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

If the Grey Market people wanted to get more from me, they'd create extensions of the Incredibly Strange Music set. There must be vast numbers of tracks that could be taken from old LPs to make further compilations of that type of odd-ball music.

Devon and agundy like this.
  19. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

You can bet they use the best source available to them and let others do the work.

John B Good and Jackie P like this.
  20. BradOlson

They do have PD imprints though and I have a Spike Jones Naxos disc that remains the only CD issue of the RCA LP Spike Jones Murdering the Classics going back to original mono 78s. Their CD is called "Spike Jones Spiking The Classics."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Ridin'High likes this.
  21. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I know they do. They've made a lot of rare stuff available over the years. Not the usual just out of copyright, "grey market", stuff one sees flooding lesser record stores.
    PD releases can and do serve a purpose. In principle it's a good thing they exist.

Ridin'High and BradOlson like this.
  22. BradOlson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Recordings-1945-Spiking-Classics/dp/B000BRJXYG/ is the CD to get for the Murdering the Classics material.

23. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

So, sourcing stuff from -old- Ace/Rhino etc cd's is okay then? They work hard to bring us the best versions in the best audio possible and subsequently get screwed by OneDay/NotNow..
    I'm all for a revision of copyrights/ performance rights by the way, but this isn't the way to do it...

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They not only steal from Ace and Rhino, but also from Mosaic and Bear Family, who invested a lot of money in hiring people to do research and to transfer and remaster the recordings.

25. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Everything that falls out of copyright is the product of past investement, effort and time. Public domain represents a greater good, whether audiophiles and collectors like it or not.