The Faith No More Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChristopherTeuma, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Greed

Yes, not the best song of the album. But still is not a throwaway song and mantains all the FNM qualities. It cant be no coincidence that Chuck singing seems to be more yelled then ever, super intense and loud like is bombing our brains.

3/5

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I love Why Do You Bother. I was delighted to see Patton cover it in 2012

ChristopherTeuma and Luisboa like this.
  3. ChristopherTeuma

ChristopherTeuma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll definitely be posting a couple Patton performances of that. He seems to really enjoy that one!

Luisboa and FourWalledWorld like this.
  4. ChristopherTeuma

5. ChristopherTeuma

Coming to this album as a teenaged Patton fan about 1998, this song freaked me out, it's The Real Thing! Already!
    Jim even plays the tail of the solo from The Cowboy Song (or is he referencing Pills for Breakfast in that solo?)!

Luisboa likes this.
  6. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Pills for Breakfast

Another typical FNM song in every aspect. Is interesting to see how soon (right in the first album) they cemented their sound and quite original style of playing. About this song I always wonder if it was, in any time, suposed to have lyrics but then assumed as a instrumental, beacause this song seems not like an instrumental but a verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/verse/chorus/end type of song.

4/5

Yes, their sound was already there in the first place.
    To be honest I dont like The Cowboy Song and rarely/never listen to it so its the first time I notice that solo similarity, but I guess is juts a coincidence.
    I love Jim Martin playing and he is great in what he does, but I dont think he has a lot of resources when playing and that at the same time gives him a very unique guitar style but also makes him repeat himself a lot (wich I dont think is necessarly bad. Love Jim Martin and I really missed him in the FNM sound after Angel Dust).

P.s. Why is this thread so empty of people? No love for Faith No More on this forum? or no love for Faith No More before Patton?

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Pills for Breakfast" points the way towards "The Morning After" and "Woodpecker from Mars". They already had their winning formula.

8. ChristopherTeuma

A little mid-album reading...

How Faith No More made their debut album We Care A Lot | Louder

"Even in San Francisco’s diverse, eclectic rock scene, the music Faith No More made stood out like a drum solo at a Ramones gig. Gould and Bottum loved Killing Joke and PiL, Bordin was studying African rhythms at UC Berkeley, Martin was an unreconstructed metalhead and skate-punk Mosley improvised and scatted over whatever rumbling noise his bandmates erected behind him. “I wasn’t a singer, but I figured I couldn’t make it any worse than it already was,” Mosley later admitted. “I knew Billy was into chaos and aggression so I just fed off that and had a blast.”

9. ChristopherTeuma

You're probably a good person...if you only had the time!

As the Worm Turns
    We Care A Lot 1985

"A lot of that stuff was just me and Billy and Mike in this space we had in San Francisco. And we were really kind of like spiritual about what we would come up with. We had this whole concept of monotonous, hypnotic riffs that we would play over and over, which felt kind of cult-y at the time. We would literally spend hours creating these loops, and I remember the riff to "As The Worm Turns" was one of those things." Roddy Bottum, Noisy 2016/faithnomorefollowers.com

Faith No More - As the Worm Turns
    ‎As the Worm Turns by Faith No More
    As the Worm Turns
    Faith No More - As the Worm Turns - Listen on Deezer

mark winstanley, asdf35 and Luisboa like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

As The Worm Turns - probably my favorite FNM song.

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

As The Worm Turns

Another highlight of the album with all the FNM signatures on it. And agree with @Daniel Plainview that this is one of my favourite FNM songs. This album is great song after great song.

5/5

12. ChristopherTeuma

Do you really know
    Where the harems go
    In the desert snow?

Arabian Disco

We Care A Lot 1985

Face .... out,
    then
    Step .... back
    Stick you chest .... out
    Stomach .... in
    That's right .... wooo!

Angry Hokey-Pokey for sex prisoners of oil barons. These middle-class Bay Area LA kids really did care a lot. They aren't playing around on the subject matter.

Has it been so long?
    Do you think we know?
    Do you think we care?

These guys know what goes down in Arabian Discos. And where the women end up.

I feel cold...

Faith No More - Arabian Disco
    ‎Arabian Disco by Faith No More
    Arabian Disco
    Faith No More - Arabian Disco - Listen on Deezer

Luisboa likes this.
  13. ChristopherTeuma

Fully formed demo released with the 2016 anniversary edition.

Luisboa likes this.
  14. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Arabian Disco

Another great song that grabs us from first second.

4.5/5

15. ChristopherTeuma

Exiting the muck, world-weary, we press on to..

New Beginnings
    We Care A Lot 1985

War!
    Brought to you today
    by lovers of freedom everywhere...

A glow in her eye
    As he waved goodbye
    That's where it all began
    She was a loving girl
    He was a caring guy
    Together they had plans
    They were married and had a baby
    His name was Johnnie

Wait a minute, that's me
    Why am I only three years old again
    Spinning and spinning and spinning

There was no gleam in your eye
    When you passed us by
    In the parade this time
    You had nothing to say
    And you're always on your way somewhere
    But today you just stood still
    You were a quiet kind of person
    Who asked for nothing and got just that
    So they sent you away to kill for your country

Could you blame him?
    Could you blame them?
    No. And in the end
    When we meet again we're friends
    Will we ever learn that we are always God's children
    And gods never made moral decisions
    They made love

Faith No More - New Beginnings
    ‎New Beginnings by Faith No More
    New Beginnings
    Faith No More - New Beginnings - Listen on Deezer

Luisboa likes this.
  16. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

New Beginnings

And so it ends a great album with another good song.

3/5

17. ChristopherTeuma

Live at the I-Beam, San Francisco
    January 13th, 1986

BradB, Daniel Plainview and Luisboa like this.
  18. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Love Mike a lot. Great singer and lyricist. But, Chuck had vibe to him. Like a bad teenager moping or something. His attitude. Just dig those songs with him. Really interesting their sound was really there from the beginning. Just two different front men. Two different points of view. Great thread!

19. ChristopherTeuma

It took me a while to get past "ew, what's the singer doing" to finally tuning into the power of We Care A Lot. The 2016 edition solidified it - by remastering it in line with the recent label jobs on the other albums - as not only a great Faith No More album, but proof they've had the same zealous D.I.Y. machine functioning since 1985. The CD copy I've had all these years lacked a lyric sheet, and I suppose I considered Chuck's voice more something to tune in and out of, but having the words to follow along with (which I grabbed from azlyrics) the political messaging is a lot clearer - this is young Americans talking about the war machine. They're an anti-establishment punk band. They're having fun.. well Roddy is (is Chuck?), the aesthetic is loose, and would get looser, but here the 'We Care A Lot' is.. if it's ironic, then that's only in their rough edges, but those edges - the fun - surround a solid centre.
    I'm gonna try and track the actual theme as we go - probably it's the do-whatever-we-want ethos - but I'll be watching for anti-capitalism... as I discuss my decades long consumer relationship with their products!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  20. ChristopherTeuma

That video above is revelatory for a long-term fan - I've only ever imagined those fresh-faces in this formation. Speaking of faces - look at Jim's! He aint so nonchalant behind the beard and shades.
    Close up camcorder! Video effects!
    I think that test pattern shows up in some of the later videos...

Here's the audio from of New Beginnings (as released in the 2016 Deluxe Edition, and the bands Youtube)

Faith No More - New Beginnings (Live at I-Beam SF, 1986)
    ‎New Beginnings (Live at I-Beam SF, 1986) by Faith No More
    New Beginnings (Live at I-Beam SF, 1986)
    Faith No More - New Beginnings (Live at I-Beam SF, 1986) - Listen on Deezer

Luisboa and Greenalishi like this.
  21. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

And now on to the next album.

22. ChristopherTeuma

You dare presume.

Da Da Da (Take I)

"Roddy" Demo 1984

Early evidence of the band's penchant for pillaging pop and celebrating the kitsch.

23. Daniel Plainview

This is clearly THE definitive version of "Da Da Da".

24. ChristopherTeuma

25. ChristopherTeuma

Signed to Slash Records by Anna Statman, a now road(and temper)-tested Faith No More and Matt Wallace, with label appointed supervision by Steve Berlin (of recent chart toppers Los Lobos) set to work at Studio D, Sausalito to record the next step in their development,

Introduce Yourself

April 23, 1987

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"FNM make a type of music that escapes any of our beloved little boxes.
    Their words are mostly personal and painful, and are backed by some of the most vengeful guitar and drum attacks to have made it onto vinyl this year." Sounds

Matt Wallace (to Allmusic) "We were sleeping in the same place when we made We Care a Lot, and when we made Introduce Yourself, Mike Bordin, Jim Martin and I slept together in a Tropicana hotel room. They’re the only band that I had that kind of close thing with, where we’d drive to the studio together, go eat food together, all that."

Jim Martin (to Kerrang) "I don't feel in danger of being placed in the box of categorisation at all. We can't be threatened with it, because there isn't a box big enough for us"

Press Release:

"INTRODUCE YOURSELF leaves no room for passivity. Credit the fact that this contemptuous posse have very different and varied histories. Keyboardist, Roddy Bottum, joined FNM after 10 years of classical piano training. Drummer, Michael Bordin preferred the tribal, primitive rhythms and was studying African drumming when he was recruited. Guitarist, Jim Martin, enlisted after a bout with Vicious Hatred, a San Francisco metal band. Singer Chuck Mosley, grew up listening to Motown and was inspired by Devo. Billy Gould had been playing in a band with Chuck and cites the Sex Pistols and Germs as his main role models. These volatile influences assail each song, affirming FNM as the sonic touchstone for each individual member.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF is a record that bridges the extremes. It is the acknowledgement and unification of everything between heaven and hell. Witness the riveting alchemy FNM possesses on INTRODUCE YOURSELF."

INTRODUCE YOURSELF | 30 Years

Introduce Yourself | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads
    Faith No More - Introduce Yourself
    Album Introduce Yourself, Faith No More | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality
    ‎Introduce Yourself by Faith No More
    Faith No More: Introduce Yourself - Music Streaming - Listen on Deezer
    Introduce Yourself