The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just don't think of them as "bootlegs". Think of them as "The original Source Material for Beat The Boots boxes 3 thru 5, to support ZFT's selection process for upcoming volumes." ;)

2. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

well I wasn't talking about kids in the school of rock.... and i'm sure there must be a few but I remember when I was a kid zappa was a big deal.... lets just look at how the grateful dead aged and how zappa aged.. the dead is everywhere.. there are at least 2-3 venues here in DC alone that are basically supported by the deadhead scene.. they seem to have dead type bands all the time..... you get new dead bands every week... meanwhile zappa is pretty obscure these days... I know of plenty of bands that the dead has influenced.. zappa? i hardly ever read any band mention him... the only zappa music i see being played live is the dweezil project.. thats it... i never see anybody do any zappa covers (i guess phish did the peaches which i mentioned but that was a long time ago)... reasons for zappa music decline with younger folk are numerous and are not just the poor job the trust has done.. i would guess two big reasons are: 1) virtuosity in music is sort of taboo these days.. the solo seemed to die.. i'm not saying some bands don't have solos but in general .... 2) his humour schtick has aged very poorly... its more of its time and doesn't translate well.. I mean somebody name some original bands that sort of follow on Zappa please..

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sure, but the kids in the School of Rock all learn to play Zappa, the best musicians in the program aspire to do a Zappa show, and the one artist that all of the AllStars Teams have in their playlist that they tour around the country is Zappa. I know multiple School of Rock teachers that play in Zappa tribute bands as well. So, for better or worse, it is keeping the Zappa torch lit.

There may be a temporary dip in Zappa's influence, but as these kids graduate and form their own bands, they'll do so influenced by Frank.

Here's the Zappa show I shot last season. The teachers are huge Zappa fanatics, and the kids learned this incredibly difficult music and became Zappa fans.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Phish
    Umphreys McGee
    Moe.
    Steve Vai
    Mike Keneally
    Joe Satriani
    Hampton Grease Band
    Project Object
    The Muffin Men
    Banned From Utopia
    Mathias Eklund
    Primus
    Monks of Doom
    Mr. Bungle
    King Missile

And actually the Trust has done a decent job putting out rare stuff. Not great but you really cant argue with 2/3 releases per year imo. I disagree with many of their practices over the years including the ridiculous shipping charges and the multiple putting off of releases such as Roxy etc. Its obvious they are sitting on a ton of stuff but I fear they resist tarnishing his legacy by releasing raw vault recordings for the most part.

5. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

ok I guess I stand corrected.. maybe my perception is just plain wrong...sometimes I wish I had access to sales statistics..

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm 31 and I know a lot of people my age that like FZ.

7. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I played (with TFEC & others) in a Zappa tribute band for two years. Every gig was SRO. Ages ... 20s to 70s. Best musicians I've ever played with. It was an honor and a privilege to play Frank's music. Not to mention a damm blast!

quicksrt, O Don Piano, TFEC and 4 others like this.
  8. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

It's much easier for bands to learn to play Grateful Dead music than it is to play Frank Zappa music.

9. marblesmike

And the Grateful Dead always had a huge following.

10. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Not in my house.

Nycademon, 4_everyman and vince like this.
  11. marblesmike

My parents are Deadheads but I didn't really follow that path musically. But my dad likes Zappa too. Actually, my parents met when my dad was getting a ride to see the Zappa Philly 1976 show.

marmalade166 and Instant Dharma like this.
  12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I love Zappa and I love the Grateful Dead.
    Both totally unique and both fantastic.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Love Zappa....
    The Dead... not so much..

Nycademon likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Runicen likes this.
  15. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Best band either of us were ever in!

Sternodox likes this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The other best band we never heard before?

smoke and Sternodox like this.
  17. Sternodox

It was the other best band I wish I was still in. TFEC taught me how to play "Holiday in Berlin (Full Blown)" and playing it all the way through, on stage in front of an audience, with him and the other cats, remains and will always remain the proudest musical accomplishment of my 40 years playing live music.

kevinsponge, Cheevyjames and Runicen like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

rednax, Runicen and Sneaky Pete like this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Did you detune your instruments like on BWS?

20. Sternodox

Nope. I only detune when playing death metal.

21. Chris DeVoe

The Chicago School of Rock did their Progressive Rock show last weekend, and they did Montana. Not my favorite Zappa song, but I thought they did a very decent job, especially the guitar player:

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

There's room for both Zappa AND The Dead in my house.....

Rockinrob, frogfog and jaxpads like this.
  23. Frogg Cafe are heavily influenced by Zappa.

24. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Interesting that this is a Younger Children vs. Older Children dispute. Families are complicated.

25. Chris DeVoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.