The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Large part, not large percentage. Different words, different meanings. Reading can be fun.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Most people don't like Zappa even if their own children are playing Zappa.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm lucky that my dad got me into Zappa before I had to learn it for the original School of Rock.

Echoes Myron and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Big Zoogz fan here. I didn't know him but I did buy his mp3 collection direct from him through his user group years ago. I think the family is reissuing some of his catalog recently.
    RIP Zoogz.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  5. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Right on, Daddy-O! The best (most) of Zoogz's music is fantastic! I love it. I have original copies of everything still and also have a boatload of live/unreleased studio recordings, which all came from Zoogz.
    I shared over 25 of those recordings over at dime years ago. I also made an album and other recordings with him. That was a lot of fun.
    I hope you were albe to dl some. If not, pm me and I'll get some your way. Lots of amazing stuff.

ganma and Instant Dharma like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

My wife is reading the Wikipedia article on Monterrey Pop, and there this an uncited claim that Zappa declined to play, refusing to share the stage less skilled San Francisco musicians. What's the story?

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...well, it's Wikipedia.....

marc with a c likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

... which is why someone added the [citation needed] tag. Remember, you don't get to complain about Wikipedia, as you can fix it.

MRT and bzfgt like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

First I've heard of that. According to this site, Zappa and the Mothers were in the middle of their months long Garrick Theater run in New York at the time.

The Zappa/Monterey rumor is also on the IMDB page about the movie Monterey Pop, maybe from the same person.

zphage likes this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

If 99% of the population could give a rat's patoot, that is not a "large part" either. I bet if you took a big survey, 90% of the population would not be able to say who Frank Zappa was. (I don't count "the name sounds kinda familiar"-they would have to recognize him as a musician). Actually I think more like 97-99% since he has been dead 25 years and was pretty much a cult item in the first place.

I stumbled on this
    Excerpt From: Record Review , Vol. 6 No.3 , June 1982, Page 30. Interview: by Steven Rosen

SR- What is your best selling record? -

FZ- The best selling record is Sheik Yerbouti. It doesn't surprise me, because it was all through CBS' promotion. It was released through Phonogram in the U.S. and it was released by CBS outside the U.S. and the bulk of the sales was outside of the U.S. Generally speaking we sell more records outside the U.S. We're pretty much an unknown group in the U.S. but in Europe it's a different story. I think the discrepancy is even more distressing if you look at the population of the U.S. versus the population of Europe. If I sell more records in Europe than I do in the U.S., ifyou average it out it means that I'm selling 10 to 20 times more in Europe than I am here. And I don't see how that is possible because most of the places where it's selling they don't even speak English. We don't do very well in Japan. We've been there once. In Australia we had gold albums with Live at the Fillmore and Just Another Band From L.A. Overnight Sensation, Apostrophe(') and Joe's Garage were all gold in the U.S. We have two or three from Canada and a few from other countries. [end of excerpt]

MungoMusic, zphage and Rooster_Ties like this.
  11. edenofflowers

Rats Patoot is actually my Jazz name.

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I've never heard of it nor has it been mentioned in interviews or "Making of" features in the many home video release VHS/LD/DVD/Blu-ray, even recent Criterion Complete Box mentions nothing in the Essays or booklet.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Male a jazz noise here

smokeverbs and Rooster_Ties like this.
  14. edenofflowers

:whistle::whistle:**doot doot** :whistle::whistle:

15. mdr30

mdr30 Forum Resident

16. Chris DeVoe

jonj likes this.
  17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Art Deco is mine.

edenofflowers likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

What's gonna be the next P/O?!

mcchocchoc likes this.
  19. mcchocchoc

I'm hoping for the Waka/Jawaka-Grand Wazoo set that has been mentioned by Joe Travers.

That aside, a Hot Rats P/O would be fantastic. Some out takes, extended mixes and maybe a show from a handful done during that time. I believe that one show even had Beefheart as a guest/member. Who knows if that show exists in the vault, but it is possible.

MungoMusic and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  20. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I think that 'Hot Rats' is due for the Project/Object treatment.

21. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I'd forgotten Joe had mentioned the Waka / Wazoo set.

22. edenofflowers

At this point I'd expect Halloween 197X to be announced soonish.
    We haven't heard much since the Roxy Boxy so I'm expecting an announcement of something soon, it's been much too quiet on the Zappa front lately.

Re: Chris (We're All) DeVoe. Troll? Not on your nelly, Chris is one of the good ones.

showtaper and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. mcchocchoc

I'm thinking something sooner than Halloween, still Ahmet did say he wants to release another set with a Halloween mask. So, yeah, another Halloween release this year seems pretty certain.

Before that I'm hoping for a few releases at once, like they did a couple years back . . Little Dots, Chicago '78 and Meat Light all at once was pretty great.

24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Get your wallet ready for the multi-disc P/O release that most Zappa fans want to see:

[​IMG]

vince, danner, marc with a c and 2 others like this.
  25. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for Halloween 1978, but I'll happily take 1976 too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.