The first commercial compact disc was produced on 17 August 1982.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My first CD was the Telarc version of the 1812 Overture with the cannons. Probably bought in 1986 or 1987 as near as I can recall.

2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Here's a cool little tidbit about a local radio station here in NJ-

By 1980, WDHA had evolved into an album-oriented rock format similar to WNEW-FMat the time. In 1984, WDHA was the world's first radio station to play the then-newcompact disc. By the late 1980s, more heavy metal bands were heard while the station still kept a balance between classic rock and new rock. At this time, WDHA had become a popular station in northern New Jersey.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDHA-FM

3. My 1st CD was Europe - The Final Countdown (1986).

4. GP

GP Senior Member

The first CeeDee I ever heard was the Columbia longbox for Wish You Were Here. A friend of mine actually brought his player over to my house, since I was skeptical. I think I heard the MCA disc for The Kids Are Alright that day too. Had lots of fun turning it up loud.

The first CDs I ever bought were the West German longboxes for both Ummagumma and More. Still got 'em.

5. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

The first cd I heard was Thriller. It was part of a display at Tower Records in NYC. I recall they had headphones set up , and I, a germophobe and audiophile had a decision to make. I took a deep breath and encased my ears in pure digital bliss. I saw my future ....my disposable income was doomed.

6. GRC

GRC Senior Member

my first CD was Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits - when it was released - had it shipped to some far away country overseas i was working in at the time -- with my new CD player on the stereo I was floored by the quality and clarity (the original is indeed considered a high quality recording today) - and the ability to easily change and repeat songs.........

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, I was in the 3rd row. It was all legit. The goop only went on the reflective side. Years later, we discovered that Emile Petrone (head of Polydor) had made sure he didn't touch the label side, which it turned out was actually much more fragile.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My first CD was BLIND FAITH on Halloween 1986. My first CD player was a Sony, which I got rid of a couple years later 'cause some discs always skipped. Had a really nice Luxman player after that, then a Carvin ... Anyway, most of my playing is done via a nine-year-old Denon 2910.

9. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I remember a similar demo on a British TV show called "Tomorrow's World", where they coated a CD in Jam and then played it. It was mind-boggling at the time.
    Didn't know that about the label side, to this day.

10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I remember when a Chicago DJ made a big deal about playing a "compact disc" on the air for the first time -- it was by Billy Joel, and on FM, it didn't sound any different to me than the regular LP, so I was unimpressed.

11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The compact disc has outlived the box it came in. How many years as it been since they were done away with?

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Is there any truth to the rumor that the CD was invented for the purpose of creating a medium that would hold Beethoven's 9th Symphony in its entirety without having to split the 3rd movement into 2 parts or having to flip 2 records over?

13. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

My first CD was Bob Dylan's Biograph box set. Released November 7, 1985. I bought my first CD player afterwards (to be able to play Biograph!).

JoeRockhead and HominyRhodes like this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've got to say I've never had any trouble with my CDs. Can't remember a defective one. No CD rot or anything. The ones I bought in 1985 play as well as the ones I bought this year. I've always looked after them, though. The were so expensive in the early days I couldn't have afforded to replace them!

15. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, really amazing.

If you look at picture formats, at that time we got Compact Disc, we all watched VHS tapes for home entertainment. Since then we had DVD, Blu-ray and now several electronic companys will in 2015 release 4k players that has vastly superior resolution compared to blu-ray.

bleachershane likes this.
  16. jhayman

jhayman Forum Resident

You never heard of vinyl or a turntable...still widely used today and much much older than CD..

17. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I bought a 2nd generation Magnavox player when it was "last year's model" and on clearance. I bet I logged thousands of hours on that baby until it finally quit tracking properly.

I remember I bought five CDs that same day - I Robot and Pyramid by Alan Parsons Project, Fables of the Reconstruction by REM, Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd and the fifth one escapes me. Anyway, this must have been in 1985 because the REM album had just come out a few weeks earlier.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Probably because they were made in Germany or Japan. Reliable locations unlike the PDO plant in Blackburn, Lancs. I came across a copy of Hot Rocks the other day. Horrendous dark brown colour.

bleachershane likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Really? I've never seen a CD gone 'bad'. Yes, a lot of those early CDs were made in Japan. I also have a lot of Nimbus CDs which weren't thought to be much cop then. They're all still fine, though. Also bought a lot of US imports in the early days as our selection of back catalogue titles was so poor.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In 1992 I won my first CD (Hendrix - "The Ultimate Experience") on a phone-in radio quiz! That obliged me to buy a Sony Discman which sat on my hi-fi amp.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

So say you.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I also never had a problem with Nimbus. So, you have never seen a CD like the one below?
    [​IMG]
    Amazingly, someone actually bought it!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I'm assuming it's not one of those Audio Fidelity gold CDs?!. No, I've never seen anything like that. I might start checking all mine now!

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The problem existed from the late 80s to early 90s. If they haven't bronzed now, then they never will (unless you mishandle them and damage the top layer). PDO did offer to replace them for a time. I guess their replacement service wasn't well advertised because I see these bronzed discs all the time.

25. Bobby Morrow

I do recall some talk about CD rot years ago and hoping it didn't happen to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.