The first commercial compact disc was produced on 17 August 1982.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I know things are different Down Under, but is that how you really eat your Corn Flakes?? :D

Sure, but I bet the BER and jitter levels were much higher the second time!?!? Don't you remember hearing a night-and-day difference in tonality and imaging?????? :winkgrin:

Merely a PR story to cover up the fact that Philips was tooled up ready to press 11.5 cm discs, so, as a delaying tactic, Sony demanded that the disc size be changed to 12 cm. This prevented Philips from stealing a lead in disc pressing. The public reason given for this change was to accommodate a slow version of Beethoven's 9th.

Everyone needs to be careful here and not confuse bronzing (specific to PDO UK made discs) with the slight gold tint on the label side of some UK-made CDs. If your disc has a gold tint, but was not made by PDO UK, there is nothing to worry about (I have many such discs, and the data sides are still perfectly silver and play fine).

Bobby Morrow, Folknik and Dave S like this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think you also get that gold tint on US discs as well. It's very different to a bronzed CD, which has the appearance of an ugly brown stain. The only thing that comes close imo are gold discs or the Warner 40 golden greats series, both of which have an uniform gold color.

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My first CD.

[​IMG]

I belonged to the International Preview Society, which was RCA's classical record club. To play it, I purchased a Technics SL-P1 from them for 4 $100 payments in 1985. I no longer have the player. I sold it to a pawn shop when I was going through some tough times.

[​IMG]

Dbstay and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The CD is probably my most favorite thing of all time, (although I feel SACD bettered it in every way).

5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I remember in the early 80's that every Sunday evening the radio station had a special digital hour in which they'd play the latest CD from Japan. It was the usual suspects - Beatles Abbey Road, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, etc.

6. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

Bought my first player in September 1985. First two CDs I boight that day were McCartney's Tug Of War and Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless. I still have them although GAOW developed a problem within weeks and would stick on one of the songs.... so much for indestructible....

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The only two CDs I bought that bronzed were a Chiffons comp on Ace and a Jams/KLF comp that was deleted by the time PDO were replacing them.

I bought a CD player when I got my holiday pay but the only non classical CD in the shop was The Big Express by XTC (1984)

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not all 35DP 1 52nd Street CDs are created equal. ;) What I mean is that when considering the earliest CDs, we are really talking about copies with a gold tone like this one:

[​IMG]

CBS/Sony's earliest CDs released in Japan in 1982 have the gold tone. Another indication of this being an early pressing is the crude matrix code font. The matrix code on this particular copy is "35DP-1-2 1A2".

The 35DP 1 catalog number was used until 1985 or 1986. I have a copy with matrix code "35DP-1 141A1 +++++". This copy is from '85 or '86. In '86, the 35DP issue was replaced with a 32DP issue.

button and yasujiro like this.
  9. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I remember some idiot arguing with a sales clerk over whether or not a cd was indestructible. It was like he wasn't going to buy it unless the sales clerk guaranteed it was indestructible.

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Keith, did you change the tray? Just curious.

11. KeithH

Well, QC in the early days was not what it is today. My brother bought an Abacab CD in 1986 that was defective. It looked perfect on the play side, but it had a skip. It was a data error because it skipped the same way every time on two players. I had the same experience with a Ride the Lightning CD in 1988.

12. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Er.......Rockpile.

misterdecibel likes this.
  13. KeithH

As discussed here before, it is a case-by-case thing. Some early CDs are very good, but others are very bad. For the ones that are bad, the tapes used is often the issue.

14. KeithH

No. I keep an empty jewel case near my scanner and use that for all scans.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks. I understand why the tray is 'wrong'. :p

Dave S and button like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I still own some defective CDs I bought in Japan in 1984, so they've been going on for awhile. Usually I can get them to play with a few digital clicks here and there, so they're not hopelessly bad -- just somewhat bad, like a marginal LP pressing.

In those crappy McCormick Center demo suites, you're lucky to hear anything.

Right around those very early CD days of 1980-1981, I can recall a JVC AHD (Audio High Density) demo where after the demo, I showed a fellow journalist the steamer trunk filled with electronics that allowed the "small" player on top of the table to work. The JVC engineers were very angry at me literally pulling the black curtain back and exposing their trick. The other journalist -- David Lachenbruch of TV Digest -- printed the story and caused great consternation the following week.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  17. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

My first CD was "A Hard Day's Night" in 1987 (still have it). I remember being amazed by the silence between tracks - no pops, clicks or hiss - took me a while to get used to that.

rock76 likes this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I didn't buy any CDs until 1988 and the soundtrack to Beetlejuice and Buddy Holly From the Original Master Tapes were my first two purchases. Still have both. I have a 5 CD Sony carousel player circa early 90s I still use today connected via optical digital. it skips once in a while but it's nice to play 5 discs like the old days. Has lots of audio push button effects as well.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It is a case by case thing. Some early CDs do sound very good (I've got some, but no Targets). Some do not.
    The early Roxy Music "Avalon" CDs are examples of bad ones. Yet they were using "Avalon" to demo early CD playback to people like Fremer. How could they not know it was so bad? You'd think they'd use the best available recordings for demo material.

20. sorry I was under the influence

21. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

I hear ya brother. Have another and crank up the music.

22. I just might do that

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

damn! it doesn't seem that long ago! and ppl are still bitching about the evils of digital! it's here to stay! LOL! a blessing!

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, just like new vinyl today...

Erik B. likes this.
  25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

My first CD! Nice one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.