The first three cd's you ever bought

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd Crazy, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

And as I look at this list, SO is the only one of the three that I've had in the CD player in the past 25 years.

JcS

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

First two:

Best Of Starship - Starship
    Chicago Greatest Hits 1982-1989 - Chicago

Strange choices for a then 14 year old.

3. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

I can't guarantee which 3 were first but I know these were very early:
    1) Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    2) CCR - Chronicle
    3) Beach Boys - Endless Summer

That last one was so great. I played "In My Room" on repeat for a long time. Just pure voices, and no snap, crackle, pop. Incredible. Sadly I lost everything I had in a home break-in in 1987 including my CD player, and had to start over.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  4. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Bryan Ferry - Another Time, Another Place
    Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
    Roxy Music - Stranded

5. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix- Are You Experienced
    Pink Floyd-The Wall
    Metallica-The Black Album

6. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member Thread Starter

Just playing my third CD.
    Pink Floyd The Final Cut
    Japanese first issue cd still sounds amazing.

7. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken. Late '80s, before I even bought my first CD player a week or so later. Already had the LP of each one. Wanted something good to play on the new CD player. Still have the Johnny Winter and the Willie Nelson. Have gone to a compilation CD for Huey Lewis.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    aravel and clhboa like this.
  8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

My first 3: December 1985:

1) Phil Collins - Face Value (Target)
    2) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon(not sure but it was real hissy...LOL)
    3) Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Music for Nations edition)

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

When I was a teenager, my Dad used to let me pick out 2 albums from his Columbia House catalogue, before Christmas. One year, I think it was 1987, I was surprised with a new CD player for Christmas--and the 2 albums I'd picked out were on CD! They were Music from Big Pink and The Band.

After I'd hooked up the player and got to listen a little bit, Dad came down to ask how it sounded. To my eternal regret, and I felt it as soon as I saw his face, without really thinking, I said that it was about the same as my tapes and records. But I really didn't hear a great improvement!

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

A Rod Stewart solo album was one of the first three: 'Blonds Have More Fun'.

11. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

In 1992 I bought my first CD player, a Sony with remote.
    Went to the local supermarket which (back then) had a large selection of over-priced CD's.
    Found Rainbow's "Difficult to Cure" for 1/2 the price of "new releases".
    Bought it, heck "I had to start somewhere" (even though I had the bloody thing on Vinyl back home already).
    But oh boy, you could tell things were getting better, the CD version of the same LP I had already since 1983 was much LOUDER.
    It had to be better (no IGD problems though)-
    :)

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm not positive but I think

Beck-Blow By Blow
    Tommy Bolin-Private Eyes
    Pink Floyd-Dark Side

For years before that I would get CD's from the library and record them on metal tape. Lot's of fusion and jazz.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  13. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

1) U2 Live Under a Blood Red Sky
    2) GnR Appetite For Destruction
    3) Probably a Rush or Zeppelin album, or maybe U2's "Rattle and Hum"
    Those first two are still in my collection, as is "Rattle and Hum." They are like family to me, though one of them sure has quite the dirty mouth. It's like that inappropriate uncle that comes to the holiday table and always has a way to keep things "interesting."
    Anyway, boy did I play the heck out of these two albums. I'm going Christmas shopping right now with my family, so maybe they'll have to come with me. I suppose I can skip songs as needed when it's Dirty Uncle Axl's turn for a spin.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The first three CDs I ever bought were all part of one package, the Little Richard Specialty Records box set... I bought it before I even owned a CD player...

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  15. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

So was the first CD I ever bought too, in 1986 aged 16. I can't remember the next two after that but I now own 1000s

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

The first two came free with my first player Philips cd160. Queen - Live & Kate Bush - The Whole Story. First bought "deliberately" a Deutsche Grammophon/Galleria Karajan Beethoven 9... because that was what the whole thing was for! :D

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  17. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

I used some (half) of my college job earnings in the mid-80s to fund a Sansui player that seemed decent.

Stones “Hot Rocks 1” Polygram. Mastered by Mofi. Seemed to sound great at the time. Of course, I dumped it for subsequent remasters.

Yes “90125” Target. Genesis self-titled is my only remaining target-type disc.

Ronstadt “GH1”. There was a shop that had players and some media for sale. “Long Long Time” was the first song I ever heard demo-ed, so I had to have it for the nostalgia.

I’ve spent the last 60 days or so recapturing many of the old CDs that I replaced with remasters over the years. My former equipment seemed to like the volume increases, my new gear exposes the mess made by brickwalling.

Probably 50 replacements done, and still going.
    AC/DC, Aerosmith, Journey,Police, some Stones, and so on.

The kicker is I already owned almost every replacement; the good part is it costs virtually nothing with trades of more recent reissues...

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  18. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

A Bad Company compilation, A Three Dog Night compilation, and an REO Speedwagon compilation. I was 7, this was 1997, and my dad helped me pick them out. A very fond memory but I'm LOLing thinking back on it. I don't even know why he helped me pick those as he doesn't listen to any of those three bands that much anyway? :D

First CD I picked out on my own was Goodbye Yellow Brick Road about a month later. I used to "play" along with the album on my keyboard and quickly memorized the lyrics to every track.

19. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Tiffany (her self-titled debut) was my first CD but, as that was a gift from my mother, it technically doesn't count. My first three CD purchases were Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue, Belinda Carlisle - Heaven on Earth, and Billy Ocean - Tear Down These Walls. I was 14 years old. It wasn't long after that I purchased Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vols. 1 & 2 and Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live 1975-85.

Sadly, as I entered my early 20s and found myself regularly broke, I used to prune my CD collection for pocket change and I wound up selling back quite a few CDs that, at the time, I was ashamed for owning. In retrospect, I regret selling any of my CDs back.

One of the few great things about getting old is that I no longer have any shame about that sort of thing. I like what I like and there's no point in denying it to myself or to anyone else.

By the way, after catching Belinda Carlisle in concert this summer as part of the Retro Futura tour, I decided I had made a mistake in selling Heaven on Earth back so I recently repurchased a used copy of that disc CD for $1 from the used CD bins at Wax 'n' Facts in Atlanta.

unclefred likes this.
  20. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I dont know the first 3.
    The first 2 were:
    Pink Floyd - works
    Marillion - misplaced childhood

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  21. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

1991 for me. 16 years old.

Mötley Crüe - decade of decadence
    Four horsemen - nobody said it was easy
    Nirvana - nevermind

22. Pretty sure the first 3 were:

The Band - The Band
    Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
    Ry Cooder - Paradise and Lunch.

Bought these before my first CD player so I would have something to demo in the hi-fi shop.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  23. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

It would've been around 1988-9. I remember I broke down and finally bought a CD player specifically to get the bonus tracks on the original CD issues of:

I Often Dream Of Trains by Robyn Hitchcock
    Element Of Light by Robyn Hitchcock And The Egyptians

Of course both would later be re-released in the mid-1990's with even more (and/or different) bonus tracks just to make things interesting (and then again in box set form just a few years ago, again of course...).

Other early purchases would boringly have been whatever else was available of the rest of Hitchcock's catalogue, plus: Who's Next probably, some Kinks, some Small Faces, Stan Ridgway's 'Mosquitos' and Ridgway-era Wall Of Voodoo (I remember Dark Continent was particularly hard to get hold of in the UK even on CD), the XTC reissues with all the bonus tracks, Love And Rockets... basically anything I thought I wanted to 'upgrade' as LP or tape copies wore out, or new releases with CD-only bonus cuts. The bonus cuts were always the initial draw for me (friends, I was that soldier).

24. balders

balders Well-Known Member

Prefab sprout-Jordan the Comeback
    World Party- Goodbye Jumbo
    Deacon Blue- Fellow hoodlums

Must play them again to see if they still sound as good as I thought at the time!

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  25. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Probably the Doors, Beatles, and Rolling Stones

Funny, now I can buy these artists on a used CD for a dollar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.