The First Time A Piece of Music Stopped You In Your Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 6stringer, Mar 3, 2023.

1. oldcurmudgeon

oldcurmudgeon Anti-audiophile Extraordinaire

Every thing by Henry Cow the first time I heard each example, and I'm counting unreleased tapes as well.

Craig and 6stringer like this.
  2. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

Pogues, Fairytale of New York

Frozensoda and 6stringer like this.
  3. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters. Thread Starter

When I heard "Start" on Radio 1 in 1980, I knew I had to buy it. Game changing.

Craig and Frozensoda like this.
  4. dude

dude Senior Member

"In The Beginning" Moody Blues

5. thealbumwithabananaonit

thealbumwithabananaonit Forum Resident

Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground.

I took a chance to listen to it after I found the Psychedelic Furs took their name from the song. It felt revelatory.

Swansong, ribonucleic and 6stringer like this.
  6. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

"Shakin' Shakin' Shakes" by Los Lobos...and the entire How Will The Wolf Survive LP...blown away by the idea that these were the La Bamba guys...and this was SOOOO much better...been a fan for the better part of 35 years now...

7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Bob Lind - Elusive Butterfly

The funny thing is, the first time I heard the song I thought it was OK, but it went in one ear and out the other. The second time was when it clicked.

I literally used to leave the radio on hoping to hear that song again, and because of that I heard lots of other great songs in 1966.

extravaganza and 6stringer like this.
  8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

The first time I heard Beat It, my life kind of fell off axis. It was foundational. I must have been 9 or so, and at someone's roller skating birthday party. I can't roller skate and to this day, not a huge fan of socializing. So I was miserable. Just holding onto the hand rail, hoping not to fall, waiting for my parents to pick me up. Then, through that huge sound system, on came Michael Jackson. At that very moment I began the process of no longer caring about the things that had meant so much to me (Indiana Jones, Bewitched reruns) and became devoted to music. It was so intense and immediate.

9. jacchank

jacchank Forum Resident

two items

1976.....niagara falls, new york....at the bank...waiting in my car to deposit my check......over the radio comes the Flamin'Groovies.....dj playing the whole album.....went back to work and called the radio station to find out who the artist was!!!!!

first time i heard "that thing you do" by the wonders/fountains of wayne....been waiting for the perfect pop song and got it!!!

whohadd, Frozensoda and 6stringer like this.
  10. Dewey M

Dewey M Senior Member

Probably not the first time, but a time I remember. Was visiting friends at Michigan State in the mid eighties. In a party store in East Lansing, and Androgynous by The Replacements came on. Remember literally stopping in the aisle, just listening. Never heard anything like it. Bought Let It Be from Flat, Black & Circular later that weekend.

6stringer likes this.
  11. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters. Thread Starter

As far as the Moodies went, my own headturner was "Higher and Higher" from their third LP (I think, from memory). My mate was a fan and stuck it on and the juxtaposition of Graeme Edge against the band giving it some was quite striking for me.

Craig, Swansong and Frozensoda like this.
  12. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

Salt n Pepa Shoop. Showstopper.

Just kidding. Riders on the Storm - Doors. I was a little kid. My dad used to sing the song around the house. Just the chorus.
    One day I was playing around with our radio and heard the real song come on. It was my first time hearing it not sung by my Dad. My brain melted and my heart stopped. I ran upstairs to tell all the adults that I just heard Riders on the Storm on the radio! EVERYONE COME LISTEN! IT WAS AMAZING!

I got a lot of weird uh huhs and confused eye nods. I realized then I was going to be a music loving weirdo that no one really understands.

13. Mr. Skin

Mr. Skin Forum Resident

Voodoo Chile Slight Return. Totally blew my mind. Got the Electric Ladyland album the day it came out, smoked a little weed, put it on the turntable, and WOW!

14. Michael Greggs

Michael Greggs Forum Resident

I am not sure that it was the first time but "You ought to know" Alanis Morissette. We had the TV on in the next office tuned to Much Music (Canada's MTV) and the song to the video started playing. I was on the phone, heard the song, told the person on the other line that I had to call them back and rushed in to find out who the artist was. Blown away that it was a young girl from Ottawa who, up to that time, was performing at shopping malls.

ribonucleic, Frozensoda and 6stringer like this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

1980? - I walked into my local record store, and they were playing the Pretenders first album. Needless to say, I grabbed a copy of that,
    and still have the original vinyl that I bought that day. Still packs a punch, and I consider it one of the best "power pop" albums ever made.

16. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

I’m generally a grower type, i.e., most of the records I love became favorites over the course of years. The one exception I can think of is the Rites of Spring LP. I ordered it because I ordered every new release from Dischord at that point. I knew nothing about the band and had zero expectations. With the first song (“Spring”) on the first spin, I was completely blown away. I got chills through most of the album. When it was over, I was honestly a little dazed by the experience. I immediately called my uncle (who is only 10 years older than me and was my brother in arms musically at that point) and breathlessly enthused about how amazing it was. ROS immediately became my favorite band and remained so for a few years.

6stringer likes this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I Want to Hold Your Hand - The Beatles (1974)

Swansong, Michael and 6stringer like this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Don't remember. Probably something related to Mother Goose or Hans Christen Anderson.

jeffd7030, wrappedinsky and Fullbug like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...of the new Beatles songs coming out of the radio in their debut! always stopped cold and listened to the latest gem...
    I tell ya you can't buy these great memories. : )

20. Michael

Do you remember where you were when you first heard this song?

21. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

Peace Piece - Bill Evans

Craig, Swansong and 6stringer like this.
  22. georgs1963

georgs1963 Forum Resident

Same with me, never forget the first time I've listened to this magnificent piece of art.

Craig and George P like this.
  23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I had been listening to records in my bedroom when a friend brought over his mother’s copy of Meet the Beatles! I was hooked as soon as I heard the intro!

Craig, Swansong and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

too cool!

Craig, Swansong and musicfan37 like this.
  25. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

The Animals-House of the Rising Sun