The First Time A Piece of Music Stopped You In Your Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 6stringer, Mar 3, 2023.

1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

The Specials performing “Gangsters” is certainly a moment I can vividly recall and never forgot.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. whohadd

whohadd Music, whatever media!

As a kid, with my parents driving, I heard “November Rain” on the radio. Not my kind of music nowadays, but, man, that was something.

jeffd7030 and wrappedinsky like this.
  3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

In the summer of 1977, I was 14 and would often fall asleep with the radio on. It was hot and we didn’t have air conditioning, and I had trouble falling asleep, but eventually passed out. I woke up in the middle of the night and I Feel Love was playing. It had just came out and I hadn’t heard it before. The combination of the heat, exhaustion and the song was an actual psychedelic experience.

whohadd and jeffd7030 like this.
  4. Augustus McRae

Augustus McRae Forum Resident

Classical-- Rite of Spring and the Adagio movement of the Moonlight Sonatas
    rock's Iron Butterfly and Black Magic Woman by Santana

whohadd likes this.
  5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

“I’ve Just Seen a Face” - the kick off of the US Rubber Soul album.

I was in grade school (in the 80s) and had some of the early albums, and really only acquainted with the “rock and roll” Beatles. I still remember that song coming on, hearing the intro and thinking that it was so…not what I was expecting. What was this?

So yeah, probably not as show stopping as Tomorrow Never Knows or others on this list, but as a kid still discovering The Beatles catalog I remember that stopping me in my tracks.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  6. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Van Halen - Unchained

In 1981 my friend's older brother was playing it. Up until then I was listening to country and top 40.

The Trinity and whohadd like this.
  7. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant
    Heard it on the national radio (really) back in 1977 and nothing have been the same...

jeffd7030 likes this.
  8. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Different choice for sure!

9. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

The song the unforgettable fire from U2
    It was so different from the earlier songs on Boy, October and War.
    The influence from Brian Eno had kicked in,

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Digital Ghost

Digital Ghost My dog won't bite if you sit real still

I was 10 I think. Up to that point my musical knowledge consisted of Disney songs and Euro dance pop that was big in the charts then (Ace of Base, 2 Unlimited, Capella etc.)

My brother was watching the MTV top 40 countdown in the living room and I was in the room with him sitting on the floor drawing.

The opening bars of "Cornflake Girl" by Tori Amos came on and instantly I looked up. The music video was the strangest, weirdest thing I had ever seen (the black and white Wizard of Oz version), and her voice, the strange indecipherable lyrics, the "you bet your life it is" hook, how the whole song pauses when she sings "peel out the watchword", the long piano solos towards the end, literally every moment of that song something different was happening and I was just awestruck. I couldn't take my eyes off her and I stayed watching the channel for hours hoping it would be played again.

I had never experienced a song so complex and varied. My mum bought me the cassette single, and I remember being drawn in by the cover art and the sleeve design, and loved that it had a different song accompanying it (my introduction to the B-side).

Tori led me on to Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell. Joni led me onto just about everything else in my life.

Chris Schoen and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Around 1975
    Saint James Infirmary - Louis Armstrong
    All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
    Hurricane - Bob Dylan

Then a couple of years after that
    Changing of the guards - Bob Dylan
    And almost simultaneously
    Is This Love - Bob Marley
    Now That We Found Love - Third World

Booyaa73 likes this.
  12. Booyaa73

Booyaa73 Often wrong, never in doubt.

I was in a Border's back in the late 90's. They would usually have a few CD's in rotation playing over the speakers. I heard this song....by this voice......I said "I must have this right now." Went up to the info desk found out what I was listening to and bought the album. The song was "Side of the Road" from Lucinda Williams from her 3rd album.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Through the 60s, so much great music was coming at me but I think the first time I sort of froze and thought WTF? was discovering Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) on the radio just after Jimi died.

whohadd likes this.
  14. foam55

foam55 Well-Known Member

Sympathy for the Devil around 1973. Big sound system at a crowded house party. I was about 17.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Kiss Them For Me by Siouxie and the Banchees at a house party. It was blasting and never sounded so good (before or since.) I wanted the song to go on forever.

16. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

Probably "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. I would have been about 6 or 7 years old. I was aware of the pop songs that were on AM radio at the time. This song seemed like an avalanche of emotion and gravity, coming from a background of "Sugar, Sugar""Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" and the like.

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  17. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Hmmmm...ok, you did say[the first time]so I'll go back to 1961- and the song was[I Wake Up Crying-Chuck Jackson]it still stops me in my tracks to this day!

18. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

A Love Supreme

My older brother bought this and I don't think he played it more than once or twice. As a 13 yo in '65 it was so arresting and unusual. It was strangely enticing and I listened to it over and over trying to get my head around it.

19. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I could probably list several dating back to January 1963 when I first heard “I Want To Hold Your Hand” as the first time but, the earliest I have a confirmed specific memory for is hearing “Non Alignment Pact” from Pere Ubu in 1982. The opening note and guitar riff pulled me in and I was locked there for the rest of the song.

Yeah, I know I was a few years late to the song. The band was practically in my backyard yet I had missed them entirely.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  20. manco

manco Forum Resident

Good Times, Bad Times - Led Zeppelin hearing it for the first time in 1996

George P likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Something by Salif Keita. A friend had it playing in his car which was parked behind the brewpub I was at. Instant fan.