the FIXX - brand new album November 2021 "Wake Up"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by souldeep69, Nov 14, 2021.

1. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Great band...even better live.

I saw them during the Ink tour and later I the 2000's

Not sure about they're live shows these days but they sounded much heavier in concerts than on their albums back then

Matthew Tate and souldeep69 like this.
  2. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

They are on tour again here in the states I believe. I need to look into that and go see them if possible.
    Glad to see some love for The Fixx. They are one of my favorite bands. In the upper echelon. :cool:

Matthew Tate and souldeep69 like this.
  3. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i saw them live a few years ago for the 'reach the beach' tour.
    and they played the whole album. it was excellent

it's my favorite one from them.
    i kept up with them for about 3 albums.

but lately have been filling the gaps and getting more
    of their recent ones.

i will check out the new album, and maybe see them
    if they are near me.

later

souldeep69 likes this.
  4. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

The new album is really good, and thanks to Steven W. Tayler production has a great dynamic range, expecially in these days:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Fixx / Every Five Seconds
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 -0.20 dB -14.94 dB 5:42 01-A Life Survived
    DR12 -0.20 dB -13.51 dB 3:42 02-Closer
    DR12 -0.21 dB -13.67 dB 4:00 03-Take What You Want
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.15 dB 4:46 04-Wake Up
    DR12 -0.75 dB -16.01 dB 3:55 05-Suspended In Make Believe
    DR11 -0.24 dB -13.75 dB 5:04 06-Lonely As A Lighthouse
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.08 dB 6:25 07-Cold
    DR13 -0.22 dB -13.81 dB 3:35 08-Spell
    DR12 -0.33 dB -14.86 dB 4:12 09-Woman Of Flesh And Blood
    DR13 -0.21 dB -15.07 dB 3:19 10-Neverending

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1607 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

WoW! I was not expecting those numbers! That is great news! The track they had on YouTube last November didn’t hint at a high DR.

6. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

Thank you!! It's funny, I never analyse or look at information like that!! I really just rely on how it sounds - all I have ever done - and then hope for a mastering expert I can trust!! SWT

7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thank you for all the wonderful work over the years on all the many great albums by The Fixx, Howard Jones, and the many others!

You have recently released your own album in both Stereo and 5.1 mixes. Do you think The Fixx would consider offering their albums in Multichannel?

jamesc, DiabloG and Erick Haight like this.
  8. stephenwtayler

stephenwtayler Forum Resident

I would be very happy to consider surround versions if they ask - there has to be the demand and the budget!! But it would be very satisfying to do - it has become my speciality recently.
    SWT

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I'm glad to hear it! :)

10. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

And many thanks again for the wonderful Van Der Graaf Generator box set.

stephenwtayler and Simon A like this.
  11. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Thanks for posting. Almost exclusively now, I'll buy the lp instead of the CD, because I expect the CD to be compressed garbage. This, is not. :D

12. Glenn Johnson

Glenn Johnson Forum Resident

They're playing in town on Sunday and I'm not sure if I'm going to go or not. I saw them twice in 86/87. It's only $50 which is pretty cheap for a live show these days.

Drummer2468 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

please check out this podcast from my friend john,
    that interviews cy curnin:

Download - Episode 370 - Cy Curnin of The Fixx/Stephen W. Tayler | Podbean

[​IMG]
    Episode 370 - Cy Curnin of The Fixx/Stephen W. Tayler
    June 8, 2022
    This week is another very special two-fer who share a long history together.

First up is Fixx frontman Cy Curnin! The band have a brand new album called Every Five Seconds that is as good as anything they've done (and was produced by our second guest). They're also about to embark on a tour of the US which is a must see. Cy discusses the new record, working with Stephen and Rupert Hine, and the stories behind several Fixx classics.
    Then we get to hear from noted mixer/producer Stephen W. Tayler. Thanks to his long-standing partnership with Rupert, Stephen has been at the Fixx's side since the beginning. He's also worked closely with legends like Kate Bush, Rush, Howard Jones, Jethro Tull and many more. We get into several of his life stories (including his own solo work) as well. Enjoy!

later

Chris Bernhardt and Bfunkthe1 like this.
  14. Twist-Of-Shadows

Twist-Of-Shadows Forum Resident

.....never forgot this wonderful version.....ever since I have first heard it......

15. PoetDan53

PoetDan53 Forum Resident

A much neglected catalog if there ever was one.

16. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

It’s like they’ve gone out of the way to keep you from buying their back catalog.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

bingo

18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Totally missed Stephen's album in surround but just ordered from Burning Shed. Thanks for the heads up and fingers crossed for The Fixx in surround!

Matthew Tate and Simon A like this.
  19. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

the fixx is touring the US starting tomorrow.

have fun everyone that sees them.

i'm targeting later this year also.

should be a great show.

later

paradox55, ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Was planning on seeing them live but I have tickets to a Rush Tribute band that very same August evening. I'm hoping the tour gets extended but I doubt it will.

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Every Five Seconds on CD arrived today, a bit late to the party but not out of a lack of love for The Fixx. We go way back with the Phantoms tour (General Public as the opener) being my second ever concert. I've probably seen The Fixx somewhere around a half-dozen times over the years, perhaps more.

As for the new album, I love how A Live Survived opens with familiarity that could be a rendition of Red Skies but quickly moves on to something new. The guitar tones, followed by a classic keyboard wash and Cy sounding as good as ever. What a start, what an album...and a terrific sounding one at that. Not a great late-career Fixx album, a great Fixx album!

5.1 would be more than welcome. There's some precedent for this with the DVD audio of 1011 Woodland being a fun listen.

I really don't need the vinyl of Every Five Seconds but I'm liking the album so much that buying another way to enjoy the music is tempting. Speaking of vinyl, there is an Amazon preorder up for Beautiful Friction on vinyl for all of $15.98. No release date is indicated but Amazon doesn't charge you until it ships so it might be worth placing an order at this price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BRC7FA?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    jamesc, Simon A and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And as I reminisce about The Fixx, I shared this with a friend here in these pages and thought I'd post it here as well.

[​IMG]

The Fixx are quite accessible so this isn't necessarily anything special except to me. I'm pretty sure this was the tour with Gary Tibbs on bass and he was impressed that not only was he recognized but that I mentioned his involvement with Roxy Music and as one of Adam's Ants. Good times indeed, can't believe that was over 20 years ago.

ytserush, jamesc, Bfunkthe1 and 4 others like this.
  23. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

New album sounds great. Better than expected. Kind of get the feeling that this is their last, but I really hope I'm wrong about that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

There new is 100 times than tears for for fears the tipping point..
    The New Fixx have depth.. I know I get yelled at..
    You can listen to both and decide.. The Fixx has bigger catalog.. than tears for fears..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Catalog volume is irrelevant, not like these two bands are that far apart in that regard but it really doesn't matter. I'm thrilled to have new albums by both The Fixx and Tears For Fears, even better that both bands have produced outstanding albums in their own right.