The Flaming Lips. The Worlds Most Frustrating Band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gavman, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Not easy to explain briefly but basically rip each disc as a single file (not broken into individual songs). Import the four files into a single window within Audacity (which will give you four sets of stereo tracks). Align them so that they all start playing at the same time. Then merge the files (I can't remember off the top of my head what this process is actually called in Audacity and am at work at the moment so can't check). That will leave you with a single stereo track in which all four discs are synchronized and merged. You can then split it back into the individual songs and export the merged tracks as Mp3 or other format files to play on the device of your choice or burn to a CD if you wish.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

So...here's hoping the change styles AGAIN!.....
    any word on new 'stuff' from these guys?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  3. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

4. vince

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  5. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Listening to the live at the space centre album “concert for peace” at the moment, and it’s rather good in a bleak, desolate kinda way.. I think the Lips are heading into pink Floyd final cut territory with this

Stencil likes this.
  6. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Well, I'll see what the new one is like ... I love, love Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin and Transmissions, but am only lukewarm on most of the res of their output

7. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been posted, but here's the cover art for the upcoming album (RSD vinyl release, and then hopefully a widely available CD in July):

[​IMG]

:love: :wiggle: :bdance:

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Can't wait for the CD. Wayne posted on Twitter that the CD will be longer than the vinyl that is coming out for RSD. He is also writing and illustrating a graphic novel to go along with the album.

9. vince

DPK and malcolm reynolds like this.
  10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I tried downloading the podcast on it but the download stops only halfway through. Didn't have this problem with the other five, so I'm guessing it's mistakenly uploaded incomplete?

12. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Don't waste your time. Just don't. This album is meant to be coming from four different speaker set ups. Hearing all 4 (or even 3) disks playing around you is electrifying. Bouncing it down to stereo is just kind of meh. Doing this is like converting Dark Side of the Moon to a low res mp3 and then only listening through one earbud. Its that kind of difference.

13. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

There exists a project from years ago on the internet where someone mixed Zaireeka to a 4.0 or 5.1 surround DVD and made music videos for all songs out of crazy film clips like 2001 and Altered States. That is what you want to find. Its great.

Stencil likes this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

I did my own stereo mix using the CDs. Intended to be a more "listenable" version, ex. high frequencies edited out and intentionally out-of-sync parts re-aligned, etc. I've never had the true Zaireeka "experience", but as a collection of songs, it holds together surprisingly well.

GubGub likes this.
  15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

16. InStepWithTheStars

Most songs on Oczy Mlody had vocals. I think there were only one or two instrumentals. But, a lot of it was nonsense words or one lyric repeated as if it were an instrument.

Me personally, I'm glad they're moving forward and refusing to repeat themselves; we already have The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi (plus tons of B-sides in the case of the latter). But I definitely preferred the "existential apocalypse" vibe of 2009-2013 to the electronic party pop of Oczy. I didn't dislike the samples from the new album I heard on the podcast (haven't listened to the officially released track yet), but none of what I heard really grabbed me. I'll still buy it and I'm sure I'll still like it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  17. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

Just found Embryonic (w/DVD audio disc) in a cheap bin. I played the DVD. This may be the loudest most offensive sounding mastering I've heard. And that's in 24/96.

18. vince

"Offensive Mastering"!....now, THAT'S a title for.....something!

19. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Exactly...those are are the ones I like and even if they never do another quality work that is plenty.

20. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

21. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I was just thinking this. If you took the stereo output of each disk, listed it to mono and sent it to each of your 4 surround speakers and did a low pass of all that to your sub and mono mix of all 4 discs to you center it would be better than a stereo mix of all 4 discs. There is a website that talks about the optimal equipment for each disc and which 3 are better if you can only do a 3 disc replay. It was great help the couple times I attempted to play three of the disks at once. Ive been searching for that website now, but sadly can't find it.

22. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  23. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

It was recorded that way. Many of the tracks derive from jams at Steven's old house captured with only one microphone.

24. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

It's important to remember, though, that the tracks were deliberately put out of sync, so it will still sound like a big jumbled mess.

25. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Has anyone heard their cover of the King Crimson debut album ‘In the Court of the Crimson King’? Not one I see mentioned a lot but would love to hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.