The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger Thread Starter

I've been enjoying the new comic book superhero series The Flash, and judging from what I've read from others, I'm not alone.

The discussions about the show on this thread; http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-year-of-the-comic-book-tv-arrow-the-flash-gotham.385880/#post-11516057
    lead me to believe I'm not the only one digging the storyline, so I thought I'd give the show it's own thread, one that will hopefully go on for a while happily, due to the quality of the show. Fingers crossed!

On the last thread, I posted a link to theories on the Reverse Flash's identity;

http://screenrant.com/reverse-flash-tv-show-identity-character-theories/

Thoughts?

2. I don't think Wells is the Reverse Flash, despite the reveal. Wells has to be a time traveler of some kind. Seeing Firestorm was pretty cool, I wonder how much he'll be on the show going forward?

musicalbeds likes this.
  3. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying the show, and I'm glad Barry got one of his secrets off his chest to Iris sooner than later. Casting Tom Cavanagh was a stroke of genius.

musicalbeds likes this.
  4. musicalbeds

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He should be recurring since they spent so much time establishing his personal connection to Caitlin, but he probably will not be in too many episodes since he looks expensive to produce. :)

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  6. musicalbeds

I'm assuming he's gonna be spun off into his own show.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I gave the first three episodes a shot. Just didn't grab me, and I'm not really feeling the lead actor. But I'm glad it's been made and is on the air.

musicalbeds likes this.
  8. musicalbeds

I was enjoying Gotham more at first, but the writing picked up and it's working out well. I recommend trying another three...

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm enjoying it. It's nice to have a superhero show that's not all grim-n-gritty.

jriems and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really watch too many shows now and so I'll not watch Flash but may check it out on disc when the season is over and the discs are out.

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We're really digging The Flash, too. I've always liked the positive, wisecracking Wally West version of Flash, and they seem to be incorporating a lot of that into Barry Allen this go 'round - kind of an amalgamation of both. I'm not an avid Flash fanatic, so I haven't read dozens of years of various Flash adventures, and I'm not familiar with all of the Reverse Flash incarnations. So all of the reveals are pretty new to me, and I'm trying to resist going to Wiki every week to learn of all the different possible scenarios the TV show is pulling from. I want to be as surprised as I can be when it all finally gets explained.

It was great seeing Firestorm - I just hope he gets developed more as he learns what his powers can really do.

As Cerebus said above, it's nice to have a more upbeat, positive superhero show to balance out the preponderance of "grim & gritty." I like Gotham and Arrow as much as anyone, but it gets relentlessly downbeat week after week. Throw in Constantine, and I'm hoping we see a new The Trickster series before I hang myself. ;)

musicalbeds likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

I'm convinced that we're going to see John Wesley Shipp as an older, "golden age" Flash before the season is over. Maybe that's who the other red blur was in the scene with the mother's murder was?

musicalbeds likes this.
  13. musicalbeds

My wife and I were just discussing that this morning after I showed her the old Flash series on youtube.

14. DreadPikathulhu

I never watched the old Flash series, even though I have had the box set for years. I may have to start on it during the month break. With all of the cast cross-overs, it might be essential.

15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Aside from Gordon, the actors portraying the iconic characters on Gotham don't seem to fit. I can't explain why they don't work.

As I stated before, Arrow and its spin-off The Flash are both great shows. The actor (John Wesley Shipp) who portrays Barry Allen's father originally played The Flash on the short-lived 1990 TV series. Felicity Smoak (the beautiful blonde member of Oliver Queen's team) is also on The Flash TV series and they have a romantic interest. However, both shows are very different from the spotty, heavily-sanitized Smallville TV series, which was basically Superman meets Dawson's Creek.

musicalbeds likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

And the best superhero show of the season is back! I'm really liking the mix of humor and action. The team-up of Captain Cold and Heat Wave was great and it looks like even more villains are on their way.

17. It was a solid return from the break.

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Good episode. One beef my wife has - and I agree with her - is the melodramatic line delivery from Wentworth Miller (Captain Cold). His deliberately slowwww deliiiiiiiveerrrrrryyyyy on a lot of his liiiiiiiiiines really bugs me.

What's funny is that Dominic Purcell (Heat Wave) was doing the same thing last night! I watched these two in Prison Break, and while Miller's delivery is similar in both, Purcell's certainly wasn't in Prison Break. It's almost like it rubbed off on him in their scenes together on this Flash episode.

19. DreadPikathulhu

I liked the way the two villains camped it up. The scene where Captain Cold appeared on the monitor to taunt the entire city with his hostage was pure gold.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. I've thought both have been way over the top in their deliveries. Miller has sounded like a typical villain from a 1950s show. This Captain Cold looks to be very calculating.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a goofy, silly show, but as much as I could pick it apart, the cast is really appealing and has great chemistry together. I hate the fact that it's yet another cheap Canadian show shot in Vancouver, but it's pretty well-done given their budget and schedule. I think the star (Grant Gustin) kind of looks too young for the role, like he's close to high school age than mid-20s, and he needs to gain about 20 pounds, but he's a good actor with an engaging personality.

Here's a recent Variety piece on the time-travel plot line the show is going with (no spoilers):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/flash-stars-tease-major-time-764755

22. DreadPikathulhu

If you really start to think about it, it all falls apart. There is no way The Flash could pick up civilians and carry them around the way he does - their necks would snap from the sudden acceleration and deceleration. I wasn't quite sure how the two villains could shoot at someone who can run several hundred miles per hour - why didn't Flash just run up behind them?. The cold gun operates at absolute zero and the heat gun operates at infinite heat, yet Cisco can come up with a shield that is immune to both - why isn't he a multi-billionaire from his inventions?

I was never a big Flash comic fan and Grant Gustin is much younger than I visualized the character, but I'm willing to go with it. I'm enjoying Cisco's geeky t-shirts and goofy villain names and am looking forward to when he finally becomes a hero himself.

It's fun. I with the Marvel shows were this fun. They take themselves too seriously and I'm starting to find them .... boring.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

So far the show is heading to be better than Arrow, what with the Laurel becoming Black Canary. :hurl:

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This show successfully walks that line where the corniness is just enough to turn the corners of my mouth up, but not so much as to make my eyes roll.:laugh:

melstapler and musicalbeds like this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Flash rocks. But I liked the older Flash series that got cancelled after 13 episodes better.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.