The Flintstones

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grant, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Has anyone picked up the first season of The Flintstones?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Nice review! Too bad they left the Winston cigarette commercials off the "extras".

(.......................................................)

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Do the individual episodes have their proper writing and voice credits, or have they just used the same "generic" versions for the entire season (as they do when the early eps are broadcast on cable)?

Or has anyone bothered to check? :)

-Kevin

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I've watched several episodes and this is a very enjoyable box set. The episodes have the original first season opening and closing credits. Though it doesn't have all of the cool extras that the laserdisc box had like the commercials for Winston cigarettes and Welch's grape jelly, there are new featurettes on the series, the Flagstones pilot and some early Pebbles cereal commercials some of which are missing their soundtracks. While it's not perfect, there's a lot of good stuff here, mostly it's nice to have the complete first season unlike the LD box which only had the first 14 episodes.

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Oh, man!!! Thanks for reminding me about this set!!!

Javier.

7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Jeff:

My fault for not being a little more specific:

I know that the underlying closing animation is the original design (except for the flashing Winston billboard that's supposed to be behind the "abc" logo, but which I understand has been cropped out of the image), but I was actually wondering if the credits themselves are different from episode to episode, or if they've used the same "generic" credit roll that is used when the early eps are broadcast.

Originally, of course, they'd have varied from show to show, but the broadcast versions all use the same ending credits/credit sequence over and over...

Just wondering if they'd corrected this, or if they consider it too expensive to do for each episode.

-Kevin

8. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I could be off on this one but I seem to recall the Flintstones when they first came out.
    Seems to me it was about 1963 or so and they were on Friday nights right after or before "My Three Sons".
    Anyone?
    Cheers-
    Norm

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Cool stuff!

Did they leave the laugh track intact?

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That's what I'm wondering, too. If it indeed has the laugh track, no buy for me.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:)

If it does not have the laugh track, no buy from me!

That's just because I've seen 'em for years with the laugh track. I never liked the restored versions without the laugh track. Just.... something missing.

Of course, perfection is having the ability to turn the laugh track on or off.

Gary

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I know that's the way the series first aired on ABC in the '60s, but to me, laugh tracks have no place in cartoons. I liked the de-laugh tracked version that aired on the Cartoon Network in the '90s much better than the syndicated version that had the laugh track.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Some of the shows have laugh tracks, some don't. But seriously - you'd skip this excellent set because it has a laugh track that was there originally??? Boy, do I fail to understand the logic of that - forest, trees kinda thing...

14. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

The laugh track is about as necessary as Fred yelling "YABBA-DABBA-DOO!" :)

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yes the laugh track is essential...especially when you grew up in real time with the show! Yabba Dabba Doo...Willllllma..laugh...:) Ah, those wonderful 60's Childhood memories...

16. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I remember when it first came out, just vaugely. The ads all proclaimed that it was "the first cartoon for adults". My mother let me stay up to watch it. Of course, it begat "The Jetsons", then "Top Cat". Not bad for HB!

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Norm, according to this Prime Time Schedule , The Flintstones wee on Thrusday nights in 1963, and moved to Fridays in 1965. My 3 Sons and The Donna Reed Show followed.

18. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Donald:
    Thanks for helping me sort out part of my childhood. I have a few more issues to sort out that perhaps we might discuss at some time.
    Sixty bucks an hour sound about right?
    :shh:
    Cheers-
    Norm

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

$60/hr - may be cheaper if I am on your plan! Oh, wait - I am not a licensed therapist.
    However, I can recommend a few if you need to discuss that thing you still have for Judy Jetson! ;)

20. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The end credits for each episode are the same, listing the all of the same names. From what I understand is that when The Flintstones went into syndication that the original main title and end sequences were trimmed off all of the early episodes and replaced. I'm not sure if the originals were saved. When they were doing reaseach for the LD box set, the original interpositive of the opening and closing sequences were found, color restored and inserted back into the episodes. I think the reason why the first season shows have that same generic credits at the end is that either it was too much of a hassle to dig them up and restore each one or they no longer exist.

21. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The PC police are out in full force, obviously. It was kind of disturbing to see, however. :sigh:

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Or Betty Rubble.

:love: :love: :love:

23. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I'd like to see those old Winston commercials. Why cant they just put them on the DVD? Are adults really buying these DVDs for their kids?

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Or Ann-Margrock! :agree:

Evan

25. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Remember that there are five more seasons of The Flintstones yet to come out on DVD. I have a feeling they'll show up on a future volume. In the meantime, the only way to see them now is if you have the laserdisc box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.