The Floating World : The "Official" Soft Machine Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Mar 11, 2010.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm only a fan of the initial stuff, before they really got out there. I happen to like their first single Love Makes Sweet Music.:hide:
    Years ago, someone told me that the single with a picture sleeve sold for something like $1200-1400 on ebay

BPMC likes this.
  2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

III only

3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Wow! Fourteen Hour Dream is most excellent.

4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I own nearly everything by them that's been released, which is a fairly substantial lot of albums. The live material is so extensive and so good that there is virtually (pun not intended) no need to own any of the studio albums apart from the first two. Plus, the band had so many changes of personnel and style that it isn't all captured on the studio albums - you need the live stuff to get a complete picture of the band and experience the best that they had to offer.

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've given short shrift to their post-Wyatt output, but lately, I've been checking out the half live/half studio 6th and enjoying it quite a bit. It's getting to be more like traditional jazz-fusion by that point, but it's still eccentric enough to be distinctive. I think I need to take the plunge on the above mentioned original album set.

Mook likes this.
  6. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Love them, especially Ayers, I have his Joy Of A Toy, Shooting At The Moon & The Confessions Of Dr Dream on LP & his Whatevershebringswesing album on CD. I also have Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom on CD. By the Soft Machine I have Volume 2 (my favorite), Fourth & Seven all on LP. My top 3 basically.

I also have an orig US Joy Of A Toy/Why Are We Sleeping? 45 :cool:

Grow Fins likes this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Listening to Hopper Tunity Box at the moment.

mx20 and crozcat like this.
  8. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Anyone?

9. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

It took a lot of spinning before I got into the first one. But then WOW what a music. After nearly 50 years I still enjoy listening to it every now and then. It's complex and also accessible with great melodies (A Certain Kind). Fantastic drumming by Robert Wyatt.
    Number Two was also hard to get into. Gradually I came to like it, but never as much as the first one.
    The following albums I've never listened to.

michanes likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You're missing out on a ton of great music.

SM Vol 2 is brilliant. I think it beats the debut for me.

Anyone heard about the new Soft Machine studio album coming out?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Grow Fins and Halfwit like this.
  11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I do have the first two as well. Perhaps I’ll revisit them.

12. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident

I love the groove on this.

penguinzzz, Chrome_Head and Mook like this.
  13. 5 is my favorite from their more straightforward fusion period.

14. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

The first one has that open sound. A lot of room around the instruments and vocals. At least if listening by speakers, through headphones it becomes too much and falls apart.

15. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

THere are some great live sets from the US in 68.
    I wish there was something around with Andy Summers on guitar the improvised raga sound I've heard described sounded interesting.
    & the offshoot bands werea all pretty good, at least from the original line up. Whole Wide World are presumably the least sung of those. Could get pretty out in places

Wish I'd picked up Gong Dreaming Volume One as well as volume 2 which covers Daevid Allen's Gong era quite well. Not sure what depth Volume oNe covers the Soft Machine era. Also presumably covers, beatnikery and other travels.

Robert Wyatt's solo stuf is pretty great. Matching Mole in expanded form, Rock Bottom . Shame about the accident in between. & The drury lane set is worth hearing if you're into that stuff.

I like the early Nucleus stuff and was wondering if there is much difference in approach between that and them being the main force operating under the name Soft machine towards the end.
    But would rather think of Soft machine as Mike Rattledge, Robert Wyatt at least. 1st lp is about my favourite , do like the singles with Allen on board too.

bzfgt likes this.
  16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

It's been a while but I did not think it was awful, a bit dated in production terms yes.

It's Soft Machine just buy it kick back and enjoy.

Mook likes this.
  17. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Just waiting looking forward to this

18. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Soft Machine are one of those bands I should have listened to years ago but for one reason or another they've always passed me by, I've recently been listening to Gong & Hatfield & The North for the first time in ages & have since been moved to purchase a couple of "National Health" CD's (not yet arrived) & the Soft Machine Vols 1 & 2 twofer (just arrived), very much looking forward to exploring them :)

mx20 and bzfgt like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have the Elastic Rock/We'll Talk About It Later twofer CD from Nucleus. Some similarity with Six/Seven era Soft Machine along with a fair amount of In A Silent Way/Bitches Brew era Miles. Worth tracking down if you like those artists.

Alan2, crozcat and Tristero like this.
  20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I spotted that this went up on YouTube last month so I watched it last night & it's amazing, Holdsworth really destroying planets in this performance, apparently it's the earliest known footage of him playing.

I do wonder if him & John McLaughlin met backstage at this festival, the people in attendance were certainly treated to some of the greatest guitar playing of all time there.

21. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Hidden Details (HD), by Soft Machine

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Andrew Tulloch "Mastering Engineer" strikes again. This band deserves better.
    Log
    foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-09-29 18:17:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Soft Machine / Hidden Details
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 -0.31 dB -10.37 dB 7:36 01-Hidden Details
    DR8 -0.32 dB -10.80 dB 5:00 02-The Man Who Waved At Trains
    DR7 -0.32 dB -11.38 dB 5:21 03-Ground Lift
    DR8 -2.11 dB -13.35 dB 2:30 04-Heart Off Guard
    DR9 -0.39 dB -11.87 dB 3:49 05-Broken Hill
    DR10 -0.32 dB -14.37 dB 2:12 06-Flight Of The Jett
    DR10 -0.32 dB -10.87 dB 4:30 07-One Glove
    DR10 -2.29 dB -16.85 dB 2:41 08-Out Bloody Intro
    DR9 -0.33 dB -10.88 dB 4:56 09-Out Bloody Rageous (Part 1)
    DR11 -3.45 dB -19.10 dB 1:48 10-Drifting White
    DR10 -0.32 dB -11.69 dB 8:05 11-Life On Bridges
    DR9 -0.32 dB -10.16 dB 6:24 12-Fourteen Hour Dream
    DR10 -1.01 dB -14.10 dB 5:05 13-Breathe
    --------------------------------------

:realmad:

23. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I just watched this performance at Iridium in NYC. Free webcast.

I think it's awesome. I'm really glad these guys are ready, able and willing to play this music as Soft Machine.

The performance I thought was great. The picture and sound both fine. I'm going to check out the new release real soon.
    Those DR numbers are kinda scary but they don't always mean the worst.

The young guy here could be someone's grandpa and the others could all be great grandfathers! lol
    John Marshall looks a little wobbly walking across the stage but he plays fine. I wish I had that kind of energy.

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  24. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Babbington's long locks are bye-bye!

25. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Just got to Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland where the current bands about to play. Excited!!!

Scope J and klockwerk like this.