The Four Members of Creedence Clearwater Revival Invented The Swamp Rock Genre

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

. . . so we already know we are dealing with a corrupted file.:D

Here's a description of the course and a number of potential careers if your major turns out to be 'musicology', using the current consensus reality definition of the term:

http://majoringinmusic.com/musicology/

zelox and dennis the menace like this.
  2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I agree with the earlier post that tried to point out that "popularize" is a better term to use than "invent". The former members of Uncle Tupelo, tagged as the "inventors" of alt-country, continually laugh and poke fun at that accreditation (or whatever the term should be). They know perfectly well that they continued on with, or melded a bit of this and a bit of that, cowpunk, etc etc. going all the way back to at least the Carter Family. But, if there is some miraculous recognition by, say, the RRHOF, the odds are at least even that the inductor may say "invented alt-country".

zelox, dennis the menace and Robin L like this.
  3. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

THE CHOOGLIN'.

4. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well that definition is out of date. I know because I've worked as a musicologist. still do.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Honeybunch is obviously unaware of the infamous 'musicologist conspiracy' of '78, where a group of CCR fans got together and concocted an audacious plan to infiltrate Rolling Stone by posing as musicologists. Complete with extremely well done fake certificates and similar 'proof' of musicology credentials. It collapsed when it was discovered that three of the five musicologists didn't even know what a 'stylus' was, however, by that time, the first of a series of proclamations designating CCR as the inventors of swamp rock had been leaked to the public.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

One good thing about this thread is that I pulled out Dale Hawkins' "L.A , Memphis and Tyler, Texas", a CD that a friend had given me. Opened it up to put it on...and there was a color copy of his "Oh! Suzy-Q", Chess LP 1429 cover, that my friend had placed inside the cd case. This is a terrific album, by the way. A fantastic version of Hound Dog (just finished playing).

Robin L and Bemagnus like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s always good to look at things from the bright side:)

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Hey, "Little Rain Cloud" playing right this moment! Toe tappingly fantastic! Good thread, good music!

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Swampy, or Down and Dirty. Either way, I like it. :thumbsup:

Robin L likes this.
  10. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Dale Hawkins has long been cited as the progenitor and mastermind behind swamp rock boogie. :D So Honeybunch, what does that "consensus of musicologists" over at Rolling Stone magazine have to say about him?

Now you do realize what CCR owes to the Suzie Q Man from Gold Mine, Louisiana, right? Where would they be without the cues they took from him? Dale Hawkins cut "Suzie Q" back in 1957 in Shreveport, Louisiana, a recording that featured a 17 year old wunderkind on guitar named James Burton. It charted soon after it was released. There's your deeper roots of swamp rock cum rockabilly. Not that the obvious has to be stated, but CCR launched its career off that tune and first tasted success with its return on investment.

You also can't overlook the distinct influences that Slim Harpo and Jerry Lee Lewis provided when it comes to the sound and style we call "swamp rock," artists who clearly preceded and no doubt influenced Creedence -- and yes, this surely includes CCR's famed rhythm section.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  11. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Woman: I don't understand it. Help seemed to have arrived on time.
    Man: I know, and yet he kept pulling away... then jumped to another burning wreck!

[​IMG]
    Woman: I don't know what he was thinking, jumping from one frying pan into another fire.
    Man: They tried to save him again... but he kept pulling away, seemingly oblivious to reality!

[​IMG]
    Woman: Then even more help arrived as he slowly made his way to harbor, only now in flames.
    Man: The thing is, he still had a chance to jump off and save himself.

[​IMG]
    Woman: But for some reason he refused to budge.
    Man: It's inexplicable. All the signs were there to get off before it was too late.

[​IMG]
    Woman: God help the poor bastard.
    Man: Seems God helps those who help themselves. Rest in peace misguided one.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

or: Let's not Fogerty the original Suzy-Q

Bemagnus likes this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Clearly, there was a desire on the part of Rolling Stone to establish a high standard for rock 'n roll musicology with Dr. Demento writing for the periodical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.