The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:D

Hey, with these guys on board (aye ; ) ..the best is yet to come ! :righton:

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're probably right, Martin. My memory may be failing somewhat. The back of the CD box set states:

All selections contained on the original "Frank Sinatra—The Voice—The Columbia Years—1943-1952" 6 LP set are included on these 4 compact discs.

So, the LP box must have come first. The Columbia/CBS catalog numbers are the same with different prefixes: C6X-40343 for the LP set and C4K-40343 for the CD set. All the dates in the CD package state 1986, but that may be just a carryover from the LP release. (The LP set was definitely issued September 1986, as confirmed by multiple sources. It won a Grammy for Best Album Notes that yesr; also nominated for Best Historical Album and Best Album Package.)

I have a vague recollection the CD box was available in time for the holiday shopping season in 1986. It's a handsome package. I remember eyeing this on store shelves at a time when there was precious little Sinatra material available for those new-fangled compact disc players. I hadn't taken the CD plunge yet, and I may be wrong about the timing.

(Actually, I see that my own description on the SFF of a few years ago states: "The [six-LP] package was soon after issued in a four-disc CD version—the first Sinatra material to appear on Compact Disc." I'm not sure now of my source for that last claim, or if it's completely accurate. :))

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The first Columbia LP with which I was familiar (in fact, one of the first Sinatra LPs on any label that I heard) was the 1955 compilation Frankie, and I always liked the sound on that, but I had nothing to compare it with. Many later Columbia LPs were absolutely DRENCHED in reverb. And much worse! Have you ever heard the bongos overdubbed (by Mitch Miller) on "Day By Day" in the Come Back To Sorrento LP (1959)?
    :yikes:

Many old-time Sinatra 78 collectors believed that Columbia altered the pitch on their LPs to make Sinatra's voice deeper, so as to compete with his resurgence of popularity on Capitol. Producer Chuck Granata has stated that he can find no evidence of that, and he has strived for sonic accuracy in all of the Columbia/Legacy issues from the Big Blue Box onward.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thanks for the nice words Matt, but unauthorized reproduction of likenesses will cause revocation of your Photoshop privileges.

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

You spoke like a true Sinatra

6. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The 6 LP box came out first. The Japanese issued it first on CD.

EMI issued mutli-disc Sinatra sets prior to "The Capitol Years".

"Sinatra Sings Songs From Pictures And Plays" is one.

7. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Dansk, if I were to give someone an actual concept album to someone with the intention of getting them into Frank Sinatra's fabulous recordings, I would hand them a copy of Frank Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain. Here you won't get saloon, standards or swinging, but rather a single, smooth and extremely engaging set that will for sure ease one in, like gently opening a door to the most exciting and colourful musical space.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt Lutthans: Ron Sarbo is more knowledgeable—and photogenic—than I am. You should change that album cover.

9. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

A few of those names are familiar, I'll pick them up if I come across them!

Wow, I think you just sold a CD! I like your description, it sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll see if I can hunt down a copy somewhere! Thanks! :)

10. Sean Keane

Robert Farnon arranged that album, which was the only Sinatra studio project recorded outside of the United States (Bayswater, England in June of '62). Robert Farnon made music on this album that is so unique and captivating that it instantly made him a man of respect to me. Herbie Hancock called him his favorite arranger.

It's a fantastic record.

Here's a pretty rare official CD I got last week. Recorded at a radio station in Italy in '53, so it's not really a recording studio recording. Only a few Sinatra tracks.

Attached Files:

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Also , check the sh forum search engine for other Frank Sinatra album titles that might appeal to you !

(The one above appeals to me :cool: )

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a box set "The Columbia Years" (pressed in the 80's, I think), how is the quality
    on this set regarded? Thanks for any opinions from those who have heard this set.

13. Sean Keane

If it's the four disc set from '86 you mean, the sound isn't that great. It's worth having, though, because there are some alternates in it that aren't on the 12 CD Columbia set.

14. brother1002

brother1002 I'm hungry....

Hi Bob. Here's one for you. Just how many STUDIO versions of "I've Got You Under My Skin" were released? I have at least 3 different versions I believe and my parents remember another they had on an old Capitol EP that I have not been able to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

15. Sean Keane

I've Got You Under My Skin was recorded in studio by Sinatra twice, though he recorded it as well for his Perfectly Frank NBC radio show. That arrangement has bongo drums!

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sean is (almost) correct. The two major studio versions are: (1) 1956 for the Capitol album Songs For Swingin' Lovers and (2) a 1963 remake for the Reprise album Sinatra's Sinatra. I prefer the '56 version, which most consider to contain the greatest trombone solo of all time (by Milt Bernhart).

He also recorded it in studio for the Duets project: (3) 1993 with an electronic pairing with U2's Bono. (Most consider that an abomination. ;))

There are also approx. twenty performances from concerts, radio, and television released on official discs. (The radio version mentioned by Sean is not one of those.) Here's a post on the Sinatra forum which lists all the official issues: "Skin".

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Good morning, everyone.

This looks to be an interesting thread. If we get enough info here I'll make sure the thread "sticks" around for awhile...

MM and Bob F., thanks for helping out with answers!

I have a question.

WHAT YEAR DID THE STEREO "COME FLY WITH ME" COME OUT? It wasn't in 1958 because of the later style of the "stereo" logo on the top of the album.

Did the open reel version come out first? Or, was there one or not?

The distortion on several of the slow songs due to a faulty mic pre probably made the stereo release of this album questionable back in the day, right?

18. Sean Keane

The stereo Come Fly With Me came out originally in '52.

There was no open reel of this album. They were all closed reels.

And, oh, thanks for not thanking me for helping out with the answers. :realmad:

:laugh:

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's Martin's area of expertise, but it certainly didn't come out in '58. The mono was released Jan. 6, 1958 (recordings made Oct. 1-8, 1957), but the earliest Capitol LP issued in stereo was 1957's Where Are You? in February 1959.

P.S. Nancy Sinatra recently played the MONO version of Come Fly With Me in its entirety on her Sirius program. Major difference in sound; almost like a different record.

20. Ronald Sarbo

The stereo version came out in 1962 when Capitol was re-releasing Sinatra LPS in order to overwhelm Reprise.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

'52? wow that is any early stereo LP! I think it was '62.

BTW is the mono FAS/JOBIM album a fold down?

22. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

You missed the :) at the very bottom of the post.

23. Ronald Sarbo

"Skin" was not recorded for "To Be Perfectly Frank". The bongo drum arrangement was for "Night And Day".

24. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

One for my baby and one for this thread and our Frank experts. This is the best thread I've read in a long, long time. Please keep the great info coming.

25. Ronald Sarbo

BTW: "The Voice In Via Asiago" is NOT an official CD. It is a EU 50 yr. + CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.