The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

As young devotee of SF I pray everyday for that miracle :winkgrin:

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Capitol tried to add some extra value to all of their CD releases of Sinatra albums. In many cases, the bonus tracks were quite appropriate, as they came from the same sessions and arrangers. (E.g., "The One I Love" on NO ONE CARES.) The problem with WHERE ARE YOU? is that there simply were no other Gordon Jenkins tracks from those sessions or any others.

It's easy enough to program your CD player for just 12 tracks or to burn your own disc. However, you CAN find the album on CD with just the original 12 tracks in two sets: (1) THE CAPITOL YEARS [UK] 21-CD box (1998) and (2) CAPITOL RECORDS CONCEPT ALBUMS [US] 14-CD "mini" box (2004). (1) has very nice sound, but it's out of print and quite expensive. (2) is available and not costly, but its sonics are lacking (Bob Norberg remasters).

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Larry Walsh did a very nice job with the sound on both of these titles, IMO. One little caveat, though: The channels are reversed on "Where Are You." Not a big deal; the sound is still excellent.

Matt

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Off-topic interruption (sorry :)): I really miss the Reverse Channels switch on my Harmon-Kardon receiver back in the '60s. It also had a Mono/Stereo "Blend" dial with sexy lights that showed the amount of cross-channel blending.

5. MLutthans

Very cool! My old C28 -- the one piece of gear that I have ever regretted selling -- had very a very handy tool -- "Mode Selector" -- along those lines, visible in the slightly blurry photo attaced. Options were: L to L and R; R to L and R; Stereo Reverse; stereo; mono; L+R to L; L+R to R. Every so often, that dial came in really handy!

Attached Files:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I actually still own that pre-amp. (I said "receiver" above, but it had no radio.) When the tubes gave out, I put it in mothballs. Maybe I'll dig it out of the attic and take a photo.

7. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

The problem is that you have to look at it from the perspective twenty years ago: at that time many of those bonus tracks had been unavailable for decades or had never been issued at all. Why they have been retained on the 2000 re-issue is a wholly different question. They should have been programmed out and added on a bonus disk. A missed opportunity - like just about everything else about that dreadful box set...

8. MLutthans

This appears to be a legitimate European LP release, but what a title! Anybody have this one? 3LP Box EMI C 152-81700/1/2 (france 1974)

Matt

Attached Files:

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OMG! I haven't seen that cover in ages. I remember seeing it in the collection of the late Gary Doctor back in Buffalo, NY in the late 70's.

10. MLutthans

There's one for sale on ebay.de right now, fyi.

Matt

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The image looks like it's from one of the WHERE ARE YOU? sessions.

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

What is killing me this time of year are all the "Sinatra Family Christmas" LP's on ebay for like $15.00. These things are always in the Amoeba bins for .99 SEALED!!!!!:laugh:

13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

"Autumn Leaves" and "September Song" -- how swingin' and sexy is that?;)

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Why in the world did you let that one go? And if you did, why didn't you let it go to me? :D Beautiful.

:laugh: If there's one thing movies and TV attest to is that folks sure have some strange ideas as to what constitutes "sexy" :eek:

15. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I believe there was a later reissue from 1984 or so. It's #1551773 PM534. I've got a sealed copy of that one. It's a 3 LP set from France. I never opened it so I can't say anything about sound quality.

16. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I have it, and in mint condition.

Arne

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Matt, I thought you would like to know that the 1984 is a Pathe Marconi:love: according to my recently acquired 3 LP box of that King Cole fella --Trio Classics. It is in my backlog, haven't heard it yet. The back of the box says Reedition 1984. The notes are in French only, however there is not any mention of production or mastering.

18. MLutthans

I've waxed rhapsodic in other threads about the quality of those mid-80s Pathe-Marconi editions, which are absolutely top quality, IMO. I'll bet it sounds beautiful.

Matt

19. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

An interview with the late Peter Levinson, author of a Nelson Riddle biography.

I read Peter's Tommy Dorsey book and was highly impressed with the fact that he NEVER used a 'big' word. Obviously not a pretentious writer.

http://januarymagazine.com/profiles/levinson.html

20. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

21. MLutthans

First blush: Not a bad read; thanks for posting. One thing I spotted:
    That's not how it went down.

EDIT: I fully agree with his comments on A SWINGIN' AFFAIR. I previously was (politely, of course) taken to task starting at post #19 of this thread, for stating that A SWINGIN' AFFAIR had arrangements that were repetitive, tedious, and lacking creativity. Great minds think alike???? I don't know about that, but Mr. Clarke and I agree on that album.

EDIT EDIT: The Gordon Jenkins work is "Manhattan Tower" -- singular, not plural. (Clarke mentions "Manhattan Towers.")

Matt

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I started to read the Clarke book, then stopped. It gave me the impression of a writer who really didn't care much for his subject.

23. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

VERY politely, if I remember correctly.... ;)

24. MLutthans

Of course, of course. It's virtually always a friendly dialogue that goes on here! Now....I have a friend who thinks that SINATRA/JOBIM is essentially Frank going through the motions with zero feeling behind it. THAT is heresy, and will not be tolerated! I had no choice but to rub him out. :eek:

Matt

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

DOes anyone have any info on the Columbia cd "SINATRA RARITIES"? Are these tracks availible elsewhere now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.