The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, a part two....nice....:righton:

3. MLutthans

I was quite stunned today to be at my local CD shoppe, thumbing through the Cheesy Listening bins, only to find a whole slew of these $31.99 Made-in-Spain-where-the-copyright-is-expired discs of Sinatra's Capitol recordings, every Capitol title through 1959's NO ONE CARES. These were right alongside the official Capitol USA releases, which I think were in the $13 range.

Attached Files:

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

In a digipack, too.

So, what did your 32 dollars buy? The swinging-est best audio version yet?

5. MLutthans

I actually spent exactly zero dollars at the cd store today....but I did get a new tape deck! :)

Matt

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They're all over Amazon. Not just in the UK (where they might be considered legit), but in the US store also (where they are definitely not). I wonder what they sound like, but I'm not about to pay $32 to find out.

7. MLutthans

Same here!

A couple of odd little things I noticed:

•COME FLY WITH ME and COME DANCE WITH ME are a two-fer disc; same with SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS/SWING EASY, but that's almost a given.
    •Several (all?) of the discs had bonus tracks, but I noticed that NO ONE CARES did not have "The One I Love" as a bonus track. Is this because it is still under copyright in Europe, having not been released in 1959?

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I thought copyright protection is based on recording date, not the release date. I guess that's a possibility, though. It could just be that they had no bootleg tapes to use for that track.

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

More than likely these are not new materings. I would be interested in finding out. Who's gonna take the plunge?

10. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Maybe these new Spanish Swingin' Lovers and Swingin' Affair! will be of the same quality as the UK MFP Swing Easy/Young Lovers? Dupes of the original tapes, dry, non-processed, etc. Fat chance, I know....

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I'd be willing to chip in $5 to Matt, in the interest of intellectual curiosity.

12. rangerjohn

me too!

13. aoxomoxoa

Then we could mail the cd back and forth to one another ;)

14. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

15. MLutthans

While anything is possible, and I'm a pretty open minded guy, MFP is a division of EMI, and as such, they have access to "real" tapes. These Spanish guys, Blue Moon Records? Odds of them having anything close to good tapes -- and the skills to actually do good things with them -- are slim and none.

Anything is possible, but these rogue companies aren't getting my $$$....yet. Capitol, of course, has access to master tapes, and puts out screw-ups like November's JOLLY CHRISTMAS album, which could have passed for a gray-market release. (Heck, they didn't even put the Capitol logo on the back cover. Maybe that WAS a gray-market release! :D )

Matt

16. MLutthans

Each disc has a little blurb on the back that says something along the lines of "High Fidelity Newly Remastered," but hey, I can "remaster" SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS using a cassette tape as a source, and it's still technically remastered. (And it has happened! One bonus track of GOLD by Steely Dan is -- and always has been, even when it was released on a 45 -- sourced from a 1974 cassette, and there is an Australian CD of the soundtrack to 1952's THIS IS CINERAMA, which was recorded on 7-track mag film, that is mastered from a cassette dub.)

Matt

17. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Probably a dumb question, but curious, you say " Made In Spain" Are Sinatra CD's be it either Capitol or on Reprise manufactured in particular Countries for a reason , I notice quite a few of mine are made in Holland.

Is it a European thing. I feel silly asking , but that's me, if you don't ask, you don't know.

18. rangerjohn

Of course, Matt. I'm sure that no one here is very optimistic.

Does anyone have familiarity with the early pressings of the Spanish Capitol LPs? Perhaps they used those masters on this issue.....

19. MLutthans

Sorry; I should have been more clear. What I meant was: They are not made by anybody connected to Capitol or EMI, but are made by -- that is, conceived, designed, etc., regardless of where the discs may be physically pressed -- a Spanish firm called Blue Moon Records.

If you discs are actually pressed in Holland but are legitimate EMI/Capitol discs, you are fine. They are legit. In the earlier days of CDs, demand was strong enough that companies like EMI would get discs pressed virtually anywhere that had the capacity to meet the need. For instance, I have some early Reprise titles that are pressed in Japan. These were not "Japanese releases," but merely USA releases that were physically manufactured in a plant in Japan.

Matt

20. aoxomoxoa

I have a copy of BELAFONTE SINGS THE BLUES on Blue Moon and it is nothing to shout about. Especially given that it is a great recording, it was quite a letdown.

21. rangerjohn

Not a good sign....

22. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

24. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Thanks for that Matt and Shicorp .

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, it's on the Concord label. Track listing has been shown at the SFF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.