The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wave

wave Forum Resident

Are these expected to be the exact same tracks as the box set?

I'd be more than happy to "re-purchase" this comp for Sands alternates.

2. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

No bonus goodies it seems...another milking of the catalog...although I imagine it will come in handy for those who can't get the box.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not known yet, but that's my suspicion.

I wouldn't call it a "milking." It's a hook for those, not as devoted as longtime Sinatra fans, who may be more inclined to buy a single disc than to spring for a box set.

4. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

I, on the other hand, have Blue Moon CDs by Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Chris Connor, etc. which sound real, real good to me. I could be wrong, but I think that, back when those CDs were made (about a dozen years ago), this label legitimately licensed tracks from EMI. (If so, they might have gone Public Domain later on, and the sound quality might have been affected.)

5. wave

wave Forum Resident

Very good track selection, and now I'm curious to see what the cover art will look like. The Selections from the Vegas Box Set CD borrowed nicely from the classy design of its source:

6. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Fake stereo in 2011? Ridiculous.....

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It just proves they're using ancient tapes from back in the day. But at those inflated prices, they won't be pawning them off on very many unsuspecting rubes. ;)

8. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

If anyone is desperate to sample this -- this is Blue Moon label, right? -- it looks like amazon.uk has them for somewhat less than 31.99. ;) Seems like an exercise in futility, though.

BTW, today I ordered a used MFP SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS/SWING EASY through amazon (USA) from a UK seller. VG condition, $0.69 plus $2.98 shipping. I've ordered from that vendor (ZoverstocksUSA) many times before, so I expect the CD will be in good shape. If you periodically watch this title, you can probably get it for a song, too.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It will cost US buyers £11.40 each shipped (about $18), in single quantities. I agree about the futility part, though.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra_BestOfVegas.jpg

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, I noticed the following in an unrelated thread, so I'm probably wrong and you may be right on target there:

In the case of the 1959 Capitol "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)," the first release was not until 1973 (SINATRA: LIKE NEVER BEFORE from Longines Symphonette Society). The unedited take heard today on US CDs did not appear until 1990 (in THE CAPITOL YEARS 3-CD/5-LP set).

12. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Does anybody know where this photo is sourced from?:

[​IMG]

13. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Maybe Paris in '62.

Attached Files:

14. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Is this the undercover album that was eventually released by Reprise in 94? I hadn't seen that cover before.

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I think that photo was used on promotional materials when FS performed at the Sands in thn mid-60s, maybe even on the tickets.

16. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

It was....but I am wondering if anyone has or knows where that cropped photo came from.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's a Ted Allan photo from 1962. Very similar shot on the cover of the official album:

Sinatra_Paris.jpg

18. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nice sleuthing. I had a feeling it could be found at MPTV, but I didn't have the time to hunt through the many Ted Allan photos in their archives. As is typical, I'd bet the 1964 date there is off by a couple of years. The photo was probably taken during the 1962 world tour, if not in Vegas the same year. (It's clear though, from the suit, that it was not from the same photo shoot as the LIVE IN PARIS cover.) Here it is via a direct link:

[​IMG]

20. MLutthans

How about YET ANOTHER package called THE CAPITOL YEARS? Well, technically, it's:

"60 All-time Classics (The Capitol Years)"

Attached Files:

21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

WOW! If only I'd had that to play in my car during the late 80s!

Even though its on cassette, Matt, is the sound any good?

22. MLutthans

I don't know, but it's sitting on Ebay right now if anybody wants to find out! :)

Matt

23. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

A cassette box from the Phillippines, I don't think so.

24. Grooveaddict

Grooveaddict New Member

Haven't been in here for a while. Picked up a next to mint copy of This is Sinatra today at my local market. Not sure it have ever been played as it is super quiet and is an original copy. It has a sticker on the label saying it is a sample and not for resale. Does this make it rarer? I guess it does. Nice album, along with it I got a copy of No Once Cares which isn't as good, but not bad.

25. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

yes it would just because so few promotional copies are stickered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.