The FRIENDS Finale...Just So-So

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACK!, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

Ursula has become the Chuck Cunningham of Friends, along with Ross's son Ben.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Naw. Ross finally declares his love for Rachel, she gets off the 'plane and does not go to Paris, declares her love for him and they're togeather.... finally.

Sorta sucky.... but it makes the general public happy, I guess.

3. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Let's have some perspective and context here!

Anybody watch "Dateline" on NBC last night?

They had a segment on the creators of "Friends", and they elaborated on the ideas presented in the finale, i.e. certain scenes and wordplay. Some of the references that were shown I never would have caught otherwise, like the "philange-e" thing and a few other bits. They origin of the "lame, cool-guy handshake" was especially interesting. More importan, they were going to have a extended scene to the initial ending, where the gang goes back to Central Perk one last time. But then the creators had trouble fleshing out that idea and thought something along the lines of "what in the heck would they talk about?" So they nixed it.

The "news" show it made me appreciate the Friends finale as an art form just a little bit more (clever) than when I first saw it (That's it?).

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I wish I had caught that, Nukevor! Thanks for posting! :)

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wimpy.

Evan

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

They did mention it was a rent controlled apartment inherited from "Nana".

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

OK, I've avoided reading this thread because I had to tape Friends finale rather than watch it live. I just finished watching the tape, and it cut off before the end! Argghh! OK, bring me up to speed. The last scene I taped, they were all standing in the apartment, and Joey said something to the effect, "Has the apartment always been purple?" Anything happen after that, other than them playing the Jefferson Airplane song? I don't want to rent the DVD for 30 seconds...

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The leave to go to the coffeehouse and the camera pans to the picture frame that surrounds the peephole.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

So, you wanted Chandler & Monica to divorce? Why would you want them to completely split up? Have you no soul? :)

10. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I guess it would have been too much to ask Rachel go the way of McLain Stevenson in his last appearance on M*A*S*H*?

11. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Well, there'll probably be a need for guest shots when "Joey" starts tanking in the ratings.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It was explained due to the stupidity of the biological mother - she didn't understand that when the doctors discussed two heartbeats, they meant for two BABIES...

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But what does "completely" wrapped up mean for this kind of show? It's not "MASH", in which the series logically concludes with the end of the war. Life goes on - there's no real way to "wrap up" "Friends"...

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Well, NOT Monica and Chandler obviously.

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.