The Gene Clark Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Next Year's Man, Sep 28, 2018.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have a CD that does the fade out at 3:14, but I don't know where it is at the moment.

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Ah! The Takoma plot thickens.

zobalob and AlienRendel like this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Using my extremely accurate Hamilton Field Watch...;)

It is as indicated on the vinyl label at 3:14. It is difficult to say exactly as it starts to fade slowly out at 3:05, but I would say 3:14 is right on--as to when it totally fades out.

Cheers
    LK

4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I have the album in FLAC format, and I don't remember where I got it....but mine is 4:58.

zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  5. Clarkophile

This is bugging me—I’m going into dog-with-a-bone mode on this one, so any help is appreciated.
    Here are all the listings of Firebyrd on Discogs (minus This Byrd Has Flown, which we already know has the 4:58 version).
    Can you find your edition of Firebyrd on this list, and then indicate whether it’s the 3:15 or 4:58 version?

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. AlienRendel

My LP is the first listed there and has the short version.

zobalob, lemonade kid and Clarkophile like this.
  7. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

More importantly, is there a version of "Blue Raven" without that damn flute? (Sorry if this offends anyone.)

bzfgt likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Wow...really. I'd dearly love to hear that! PM me please. The "extended version"!
    Mine too.

AlienRendel and zobalob like this.
  9. lemonade kid

None taken...I love the flute.

:righton:

AlienRendel likes this.
  10. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Mine is the TAKCD 7112 and as I indicated upthread it weirdly lists the time as 3.14 on the cover but the actual running time on the CD is 4.59.

Hep Alien and lemonade kid like this.
  11. lemonade kid

Have you ever compared the long and the short ...of them?
    It seems like the only time the short version was around was on the original Takoma LP and..the CD mentioned above...or how many more? Sorting out the various Fire Byrd releases must be a task indeed.

Ok...there are a couple shares of the long one at youtube..listening now!

:tiphat:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    zobalob likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

Thanks for the info and questions @Clarkophile and everyone! I thought I had heard everything by Gene...this is very cool!
    The LOOOONG version of Blue Raven! So nice. I wonder if there is an"umplugged" set of the Firebyrd sessions? Kinda like the No Other unplugged.

13. lemonade kid

There are so many album/CD covers of Firebyrd!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Clarkophile

If you scroll ahead to 30:46 there’s a live S/B version from 1984.

Hep Alien, lemonade kid and zobalob like this.
  15. Clarkophile

Andy Kandanes had possession of the tapes. After Gene died, he licensed them for a song, which invariably led a number of companies to exploit Gene’s name, his association with the Byrds, the use of the word “Byrd” in the title, plus Gene’s decision to cover Mr. Tambourine Man and I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better—signature Byrds tracks. These people didn’t care about Gene, his music, or his legacy (well, Takoma was pretty inept too, but not exploitive). That’s why there’s an assortment of covers using ‘60s-era pics of Gene to reinforce the con, to make unsuspecting punters think it was Byrds-related material. Of course some of the companies were so inept that they even screwed that up—“FyreBird”.:doh:
    Kandanes died in 2010. Nobody remembers the fly-by-night companies, so only Gene’s reputation is there to take the hit. It’s my belief that these shoddy releases contribute to the general stigma that surrounds Gene’s ‘80s recordings.

16. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I pulled out my vinyl copy of 'Firebyrd' today - it is the one listed at number 7 on your Discogs list (Gene Clark – Firebyrd (1984, Vinyl) ). UK pressing on Making Waves. Track runs to 4:55 including the fade. Might be a few seconds out, but not by much!

No timings on the label to compare to I'm afraid.

Hope that helps!

17. Clarkophile

Hey, thanks for checking.

18. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

No problem at all, happy to help. It has been a while since I listened to this one - I'll leave the album out and listen to the whole thing (my memory of Firebyrd is pretty mixed, but y'know sometimes things change).

I just went and read your blog post on 80s Gene - good stuff, and really nice writing.

lemonade kid, zobalob and Clarkophile like this.
  19. Clarkophile

Thank you. If interested, there’s also some posts devoted to Firebyrd that attempt to rehabilitate it, to some degree.

20. Clarkophile

This was an original Takoma CD? Do you recall the cover?

21. AlienRendel

Yes, it’s a Takoma CD with the original black cover.

Clarkophile likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

I love FireByrd...a wonderful collection of music that Gene wrote, plus songs & artists (Dylan & Gord) that he must have loved and chose to cover.

I admit that wasn't always so...I liked it ok first at first when I slit the shrink and placed it on the TT, but that has changed as I've grown or aged or for whatever reason.

Now I truly love it. The Takoma minty like-new vinyl and beautiful cover I have are still in the opened shrink and it is a true treasure. An under-appreciated classic. Tragic that Takoma was so inept at promoting Gene's final solo effort.

Especially love the back cover photo...Gene caught in a thoughtful moment of repose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. lemonade kid

So anyway...that long version of "Blue Raven" was never meant to be released by Gene?
    Or did he have anything to do the studio session versions that were chosen or edited?

24. AlienRendel

Agreed. The production is slightly 80s, but not so bad as to seriously detract. Gene is in excellent voice here and there are a bunch of good songs. Really enjoyed having it on yesterday.

lemonade kid and Clarkophile like this.
  25. Clarkophile

It’s unclear how and when the longer mix was first introduced. That’s why I posted the Discogs list and asked people to identify which mix/pressing they have.