The Gene Clark Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Next Year's Man, Sep 28, 2018.

1. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

So this happened today on Twitter. Interesting how Roger is claiming that Gene went around saying he presented a finished song (not true) and listened to his 'sycophants' while he's posting his BMI award for the song with just his name on it... :shake::sigh:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Next Year's Man and bzfgt like this.
  2. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

Jolly Roger can walk the plank.

I’ll leave it at that since everyone knows other comments some of us have that would not last long here.

Hep Alien, richierichie and indigo_m like this.
  3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

4. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

"Sycophants"? What was this in response to?

indigo_m likes this.
  5. Clarkophile

Nothing.

But he has since removed the tweet.

indigo_m likes this.
  6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Excellent article Tom! Great research and extrapolation. Gene did seem to do it backwards. Your writing puts it in perspective and just makes me sad. If he had been alive today at that age would he have chosen to get the help he needed given our better understanding of his condition? I imagine it would all depend on his awareness, if a friend or someone could have pointed him in the right direction. So ironic about No Other. When is the definitive edition of that coming out?! It's greatness was not lost on me and my friends back in the day.

7. Clarkophile

Thanks. I appreciate that very much. To be perfectly candid, it’s not easy to write about this period of Gene’s career. For many fans, myself included, the 1980-1984 doesn’t command the same level of interest as, say, the Byrds/immediate post-Byrds era (The lack of comments on my blog reflects this as well, lol)
    I mean, I get that. I am not thrilled with some of the material Gene was choosing to record, the direction he took. But after listening to several hours’ worth of Firebyrds-era live shows, I found myself giving Gene a break. He was doing the best he could, under very difficult circumstances.

And I agree, in many ways it’s unrelentingly sad. I got choked up a few times while writing it. Hearing the guy in the audience call out for Lou Reed was devastating for me to hear, but can you imagine how it must’ve felt for Gene? But there’s little moments that that made me smile, too. Gene starts doing a solo rendition of ‘Here Without You’ at one show, and after a few moments you can hear a guy in the audience standing near the taper, and he says “This is so good...”

I’m afraid I don’t have any info on No Other.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Newly uploaded on YouTube...

Jon H., caravan70, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  9. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Wonder if anyone can help - I recently discovered the bonus tracks on So Rebellious A Lover and noticed that Jokers Are Wild was recorded 2 years earlier - in 1985. Can anyone tell me what songs were recorded in those 1985 sessions and where they can be found? I believe some are exclusive to the Bucketful of Brains flexi-disc??

indigo_m and bzfgt like this.
  10. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I believe that there were 6 songs recorded with the Textones for a demo that was shopped around to some record companies prior to the So Rebellious sessions. The songs recorded were:
    Gypsy Rider
    Lover's Turnaround
    Why Did You Leave Me Today
    Winning Hand
    Back In Time
    Jokers Are Wild

I always get confused by which versions were included as bonus tracks. I'll have to dig a little deeper for that info.

caravan70, Hep Alien and Byrdman77 like this.
  11. Clarkophile

The conclusion of my Firebyrd Project, including possible tracklist and rarities, is up.

The Clarkophile: The Firebyrd Project Part 4: Conclusion

Do you feel it’s a viable idea? Would you pay money for such a collection? Interested in all opinions, I understand it’s not a favourite period for a lot of folks. No one is planning to undertake a project like this—that I know of anyway. I’m just interested in finding out if Firebyrd’s detractors would be open to a thorough reassessment.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    zobalob, Chris M, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I would buy it. As you mentioned way upthread, this is a difficult era to approach, and consequently... I've mostly avoided it, since it seems so messy. Cleaning it up - with proper notes on sourcing, lineup, etc. - would turn this into a must-have for any Gene fan.

caravan70, Hep Alien, Dok and 3 others like this.
  13. Clarkophile

Remember Gene Clark, #dotd 1991.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    caravan70, Hep Alien, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

No idea it was today until saw this. And I’ve got a lot of his music faod. One can only wish peace for his soul, and I’m not religious either faod. Again. So much wonderful music. And bravery.

indigo_m likes this.
  15. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Today has been a great day of Gene's music here. Started with some Birds, some solo albums, Roadmaster twice and the incredible Through the Morning, Through the Night, the great live album Silhouetted in Light with Carla Olson and some Fred Neil, a little Jackson C. Frank thrown in for good measure. Wonderful stuff.

caravan70 and indigo_m like this.
  16. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Gene Clark-o-mania!! :wiggle:

caravan70, Phillip Walch and The MEZ like this.
  17. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Not sure how I missed news this, but Roadmaster was finally added to Spotify at some point in the last couple months. I don't know what release it is, but it has the original A&M "motorcycle" cover and contains two alternate versions of "One In A Hundred" and "She's The Kind Of Girl" that I'd never heard before. Are these the same bonus tracks as those released on the Japanese SACD version of this album? Really curious about the pedigree. Maybe one day we'll finally get the alternate mixes of the full album!

Link To Spotify:
    Roadmaster (Expanded Edition)

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, indigo_m and Phillip Walch like this.
  18. Clarkophile

Yes, judging from the clip, it appears to be the same as the ones from the Japanese release. Just initial run-throughs. Not essential, but nice to have.

Chris M, picassoson and indigo_m like this.
  19. Clarkophile

With the Hinshaw mixes, the alt mixes from Flying High and other stray tracks, it's possible to create a 100-minute+ edition of Roadmaster—something that should've been done years ago.

20. Wait a minute - there is a Roadmaster SACD that got released in Japan?! Why haven't I heard about it?

Or are we talking about the SHM-CD? That isn't a SACD.

art likes this.
  21. Clarkophile

The latter.

PhantomStranger and picassoson like this.
  22. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Sorry I misspoke - apologies for the confusion.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Was just thinking about this, but are there any noticeable differences to be heard on the Columbia 45 mixes of Echoes, The Same One, SYSYLYB or I Found You verses the mono LP mixes? I'd track copies down for myself, but I am sadly without turntable at the moment.

indigo_m likes this.
  24. Clarkophile

As far as I know, the only one with noticeable differences is the 45 of ‘So You Say You Lost Your Baby’:

25. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Just saw Echo in the Canyon. Did anyone else catch the remark by McGuinn about "one guy in the band having too many songs on the album"?

Hep Alien and bzfgt like this.