The Godfather Trilogy/4K UHD Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had read that the set was coming soon with new extras (2017 45th Anniversary reunion Q&A). Any word in recent months?

JediJones and hi_watt like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have not yet heard, but it's a good idea. Meanwhile, for those following the story, here's who everybody is in the Family...

[​IMG]

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’d like that poster!

Bowie Fett likes this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

They should do the Godfather Saga (or Epic, or whatever) right alongside it.

Mark B., Mr. E. Tramp, Muzyck and 6 others like this.
  5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That would entice me to buy it:cheers:

Mr. E. Tramp and RoyalScam like this.
  6. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

Not sure why they have delayed the Ultra 4k release of the Godfather, perhaps they are waiting for the 50th anniversary to release it in that format. I'm not sure how much benefit the 4k format will yield with these first two Godfather movies, but the HDR could make the colors more vivid I suppose. Another thing I would like to see is a Blue-ray release of the Godfather Epic as part of the 50th anniversary celebration. Yes, most people prefer the original versions, but the Saga/Epic adds another perspective to the Godfather story.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Bowie Fett

The 50th Anniversary 4K UHD box set has been confirmed by Paramount for 2022. The 2020 "Coda" disc will only be available on Blu-Ray, which may signal that a 4K version will be available in the 2022 set.

8. Brian Shively

• The 4K version of Part 1 & 2 will be interesting. The first two movies occupy the #1 and #2 position of all-time favorite movies, but I've always been disappointed in the picture quality of even the Coppola restoration. The dark and tinted quality that Gordon Willis used filming the movies is likely the problem, and I'm not sure how much HDR will improve the image. In any event, I hope they include the Saga/Epic version in 50th anniversary set,

GregM and hi_watt like this.
  9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I used the blu ray of The Godfather as the reference disc when we bought our television. Took quite a few slight tweaks over time but I feel I got a nice "film" kind of look. It doesn't pop like a lot of televisions do, but it looks super natural to my eye. Say what you will about the dark picture and color choices - the blu ray disc looks like film.

10. Brian Shively

Still waiting for information on the 50th anniversary addition with a 4K ultra option. Paramount needs to differentiate this release with new extra material, and more importantly the home video debut of the "Godfather Saga".

ItsNotIt's likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd love to see 4K versions of GF and GFII. I could do without the 3rd, but if the only way to buy the first two on 4K is as part of a set, I'm in.

My Kuro set wasn't able to properly resolve all the black levels in the shadow detail, but my 4K OLED was certainly a new revelation. I love how it was filmed and I'm happy with the Coppola restoration. There may be room for improvement now, however.

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

For those of you unaware, there’s currently a series about the making of The Godfather in production at Paramount Studios called The Offer that will be available on Showtime. No doubt it’s airing will coincide with the 4K disc releases.

enro99 likes this.
  13. Bowie Fett

Two 50th anniversary box sets will be announced tomorrow . . .

ItsNotIt's and GregM like this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Indeed, looks like March 22 is the release date.

[​IMG]

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The Godfather Trilogy 4K Blu-ray
    Posted January 12, 2022 09:15 PM

Paramount Home Media Distribution plans to release on 4K Blu-ray The Godfather Trilogy (1972-1990). The box set is scheduled to arrive on the market on March 22.

Official description: For the first time in one collection, this is the essential, definitive saga of the Corleone family, overseen by director Francis Ford Coppola, and based on the bestselling novel by Mario Puzo. A global cultural touchstone captivating fans across generations, the enduring cinematic legacy of THE GODFATHER has immeasurably influenced popular culture, and rightfully earned its legacy as one of the greatest in the history of motion pictures.

Remastered and Restored in 4K with HDR-10 and DOLBY VISION, this collection includes Academy Award winners for Best Picture The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, alongside the acclaimed conclusion Mario Puzo's The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, as well as an extensive array of new and legacy behind-the-scenes special features.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sadly, no Godfather Saga. I have never seen it, so I hope it does get released some day.

JediJones and classicrocker like this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

So at this point the 4k transfers of Godfather and Godfather II have been sitting on a hard drive for almost fifteen years.

18. Bowie Fett

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  19. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

They've released a few different versions of the box set over the years so this doesn't excite me (plus I don't even have a blu ray/4k player anymore!). I'm glad I have the HBO Saga version on my computer.

RoyalScam and ItsNotIt's like this.
  20. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

For anyone that was nervous that the 4K UHD set was bypassing the theatrical cut of The Godfather Part III, it has been confirmed that 3 cuts of the film will be included in the Limited Collector's Edition release:

The Godfather Trilogy officially comes to 4K in March

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

there is a theatrical release AND 1991 cut? I don't think I knew that. What is the difference? So with the new Coda film that makes three versions right?

22. Brian Shively

Well, I'm glad that these great films will finally get a 4K ultra release, I'm very disappointed that the chronological version of part 1 & 2(Godfather Saga)is not being included. Unfortunately, I don't think the 4K versions will be significantly better then 2008 Blu Ray release. No sale!

JediJones likes this.
  23. Brian Shively

The 1991 "Directors cut" added about 10 minutes of extra(Mostly meaningless)scenes.

JediJones and hitmanhart408 like this.
  24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Leave the gun, take the 4K......

JediJones likes this.
  25. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Well, I certainly hope the 4k is an upgrade on the "Coppola Restoration" blu-rays because they are only marginally better than the DVD equivalents. The Blu-ray of the Coda version of GF III that came out in 2020 is a significant improvement over the Coppola Restoration GFIII, so I'm hopeful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.