The Golden Age of Horror Movies: Late-70s to Early-80's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

I was at an impressionable age when this popular boom hit the US market for horror/slasher movies. It was short-lived, only about 4 years, but left a huge impression and a great set of genre films.

The era was in a way bookended by "Halloween" in late 1978 and "Halloween II" in late 1981. Very appropriate if you ask me.

What are some of your favorite movies of this period, and some of your favorite experiences as a theater-goer during this time?

[​IMG]

2. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Halloween, Friday the 13th, Friday the 13th Part II, Maniac, Eyes of a Stranger, Humanoids from the Deep, The Howling, Creepshow, An American Werewolf in London, Amityville Horror.

3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The American slasher film was influenced by the Italian Giallo films which came first, late sixties and onward into the seventies, and they were influenced by Hitchcock, largely. I found the Slasher films inferior to the Giallo.

There were a lot of good horror films in the 70's and 80's- some of my favorites:

The thing
    The Shining
    Susperia
    The Beyond (I have tons of Fulci)
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Changeling
    Phantasm
    The Exorcist

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

DePalma's heyday was in this period. I guess Sisters or Dressed To Kill would be the purest horror film.
    I wouldn't call Carrie or Obsession horror

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  5. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I would extend the golden age of horror from the release of the first Night of the Living Dead in 1968, to the 3rd installment of that series, Day of the Dead in 1985. In between those two films were all my favorite horror films, whether American or European.

But I agree with the OP that things kind of reached a fever pitch between about 1978 and 1982. In '78 came Dawn of the Dead, my favorite of the trilogy. Late 70s/early 80s is when all the best Fulci films came out...Zombi 2, City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, and New York Ripper. Argento had Suspiria, Inferno, and Tenebre. Cannibal films by Deodato and Umberto Lenzi. Slasher franchises like Halloween and Friday the 13th got their start. Some good Stephen King adaptations like The Shining, Salem's Lot and Cujo. One of my favorite sub-genres, what I call "animals gone wild" (Jaws, Piranha, Grizzly) was winding down by the end of the '70s, but we still got the underrated Prophecy.

Not to mention Amityville Horror, Alien (a mix of horror and sci-fi), I Spit On Your Grave, and Cat People. The early '80s were also good for some anthology movies like Creepshow and Twilight Zone: The Movie. What's puzzling is why the quality of horror really seemed to go downhill after about 1985. This would have been when the home video market was really expanding.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Why isn't Carrie horror?

7. yesstiles

I always found this movie very unsettling and strange, mostly due to the final act:

[​IMG]

8. This era coincided with my late teens/early 20's and I hold these films in high regard. They were at times cheap and tawdry but ultimately memorable. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this era of horror movies. Here is a list of some of my favorites:
    Halloween
    Halloween II
    Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (over the years this has grown in stature but it was ridiculed at the time, I for one LOVED it from the first!!)
    Terror Train
    Motel Hell
    Mother's Day
    My Bloody Valentine (the version with the restored scenes is a MUST see)
    Happy Birthday To Me
    April Fools Day
    Friday The 13th
    Friday The 13th: Part II
    Friday The 13th: Part 3 in 3D (the 3D effects in the theater were GREAT!)
    The Burning
    Sleepaway Camp
    The Boogeyman
    The Fog
    Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Prom Night
    An American Werewolf In London
    Evil Dead
    The Funhouse
    The Howling
    Creepshow
    Basket Case
    The Keep
    Psycho II
    The Return Of The Living Dead
    Scanners
    Videodrome.........I could list many more. I have most of these on DVD. It is possible I may have a sickness.

9. yesstiles

Great list. Only 2 movies I would remove if it were my list: Mother's Day" and "Sleepaway Camp." I vehemently detest those two movies in fact. "The Keep" is the only one I've never seen. I'll have to check it out.

Saint Johnny and SilkHammer like this.
  10. I'd be interested to hear why you detested "Sleepaway Camp" and "Mother's Day?"

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Three things/people are a huge focus for me.

1) The Video Nasties. For a brief window we got to see all kinds of gore and horrors, much to the chagrin of puritanical, political, forces.

2) Argento & Fulci. Both made amazing films, both made really bad films. Both were amazing. When I saw Tenebrae for the first time, I knew I would love Argento forever. Fulci's The Beyond is incredible. Their filmographies just rule.

3) Cronenberg. This was his era. Videodrome is a stunning piece of work, but the reality is he was firing on all cylinders at this time.

unclefred likes this.
  12. PS: "The Keep" was THE Nazi Horror movie. Sounds cheesy I know but it worked. I found this movie pretty spooky for its time.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  13. yesstiles

"Tourist Trap" from 1979 is one not mentioned yet that I think is one of the very best of the genre. Has a similar vibe to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" imo.

[​IMG]

14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

recently I revisited a few more obscure movies from that time, horror and slasher, these are pretty enjoyable

Burnt Offerings (1976)
    The Legacy (1978)
    Night School (1981)
    Ghost Story (1981)
    Dead & Buried (1981)
    The Funhouse (1981)
    Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
    Christmas Evil (1981)

I also watched The Swamp Thing (1982).... somehow I remember it being scary watching it as a kid, but now it's more of a science fiction mixed with love story. I still liked Adrienne Barbeau in it. And of course I went that extra step and re-watched the cheesy sequel with Heather Locklear, it's bad but good. Swamp Thing needs a remake :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  15. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I love horror films from the 70's and 80's. They just seem to have a certain charm you don't find these days.

Black Christmas
    Beyond the Door
    Shockwaves
    Phantasm
    Zombie
    City of the Living Dead
    Maniac
    Nightmare (in a Damaged Brain)
    The Thing
    My Bloody Valentine
    Happy Birthday to me

yesstiles likes this.
  16. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I'm too young to have seen the films of this era in a theater at the time, but I did watch many of them on cable television as a kid (often multiple times). I have seen some of them in recent years in a theater, thanks to the Alamo Drafthouse's wonderful Terror Tuesdays series. My favorite experience there was a screening of My Bloody Valentine with a surprise q&a session with director George Mihalka afterward (he acknowledged the band that named themselves after the movie, which was fun - I'm a huge fan of both film and group).

I'll add a few favorites that haven't been mentioned already:

The House on Sorority Row (great score by Richard Band and the London Symphony Orchestra, as well)
    Just Before Dawn
    Full Circle
    (aka The Haunting of Julia)
    When a Stranger Calls
    Amityville II: The Possession
    (I don't care much for the first film, but this sequel is very disturbing and creepy for many reasons)
    Eaten Alive (Tobe Hooper's film between The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Salem's Lot for television)
    Don't Go in the House
    The Prowler
    The Hunger
    One Dark Night

Of the ones already mentioned, Halloween, The Funhouse, Inferno, Suspiria, The Beyond, The Howling, Rabid, The Fog and The Evil Dead are favorites of mine.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

From 1978 - 1981 you have so many to choose, although 1978 was kind of a light year, other than Halloween and Dawn of the Dead. In 1981 alone there was around 18 slasher movies, not to mention 2 of the best werewolf movies amongst other classics. Easily my favorite year for horror.

Piranha
    Phantasm
    When a Stranger Calls
    Alien
    Terror Train
    Tourist Trap
    Zombi 2
    Silent Scream
    The Changeling
    Alligator
    Christmas Evil
    Funeral Home
    Motel Hell
    Inferno
    The Fog
    Evil Dead
    Dark Night of the Scarecrow
    The Howling
    An American Werewolf in London
    Happy Birthday to Me
    The Funhouse
    Hell Night
    My Bloody Valentine

yesstiles likes this.
  18. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I would say the golden age of horror goes from 1972 to 1992 with at least one popular classic for each year.

Last House on the Left
    The Exorcist/Don't Look Now
    TCM
    Jaws/Deep Red
    Carrie
    Suspiria
    Halloween/Dawn of the Dead
    Alien/Phantasm
    The Shining
    Evil Dead/An American Werewolf in London
    The Thing/Poltergeist
    Thriller (cheating a little)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street/Gremlins
    Fright Night
    The Fly
    Hellraiser/The Lost Boys
    Child's Play/Pumpkinhead
    Pet Sematary
    Jacob's Ladder/It
    Silence of the Lambs/Cape Fear
    Candyman

Then 1993 fell flat on its face.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the 80's were the killer for Horror! ; )

20. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I see it's mentioned a few times already but to me, John Carpenter's The Thing still holds up as one one best horror films ever. It was way ahead of it's time IMHO.
    Oh and Alien rocks too.

Old Rusty and yesstiles like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice list!!! Anything on there I haven't seen, based on the strength of this list, I'm gonna watch!

I haven't seen "Deep Red" or "Pumpkinhead"!

22. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I never thought Carrie has horror more psychological all except the blood scene... I thought any other carries after that just weren't the same. but then the movies after never are.

23. MAYBEIMAMAZED

What about Firestarter with Drew Barrymore horror or sci-fi psychological 1984 I think.

24. MAYBEIMAMAZED

Great list!

25. MAYBEIMAMAZED

Eraser Head 1977 weird movie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.