The Golden Age of Horror Movies: Late-70s to Early-80's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

A real cult following has developed around The Keep. Due to legal wranglings it's been (relatively) hard to find, and the soundtrack by Tangerine Dream is gorgeous - but unreleased (officially).

It's built up a big reputation by staying largely hidden.

Watching it now though... yeah, the FX are poor, and it all feels a little too TV movie.

I highly recommend the book though.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

it also has some good actors, Scott Glenn, Jurgen Prochnow, Ian McKellen, Gabriel Byrne

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I guess my horror golden age would come earlier (possibly two golden ages...), but there were some really good films from the 70s and 80s: The Changeling, Don't Look Now, The Exorcist, Halloween, The Thing, Alien, Eraser Head, The Shining, Martin, Jaws, Carrie, The Howling, An American Werewolf in London, The Fog, The Omen (first one only), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Nosferatu, Wolfen, Demon Seed...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Don't Go In the House (1979) - a solid psychological thriller, similar idea as Psycho, with some nice Disco club scenes thrown in.

7. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

When I was 13 years old, back in 1983, my parents took my brother and I to a drive-in to see three horror movies. Mausoleum, Mortuary and The Gates of Hell. That night completely changed my life! I own all three on blu-ray now.

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

For me, the golden age for horror is much larger. They start in the 60s and go all the way through the 80s. Unfortunately, there are too many for me to name but I will mention a few highlights.

Psycho
    Night Of The Living Dead
    Rosemary’s Baby
    The Exorcist (my absolute favorite)
    Dawn Of The Dead
    Carrie
    Maniac
    Zombie (aka Zombie 2)
    Christine
    Friday the 13th part 4

finslaw and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

This thread inspired me to buy Shock Waves on bluray. I always loved the vibe of that film, and I never noticed how much mood is gained from the underwater photography and that creepy electronic score.

To me this golden era has a clear separation. The early 70's to early 80's grindhouse films that are so grimy you want to take a shower afterwards: TCM, The Love Butcher, The Centerfold Girls, Blood & Lace, Maniac, Driller Killer, Murderlust, Last House on the Left, Absurd, Love Me Deadly, Don't Go in the House, Don't Answer the Phone, Boardinghouse, I Dismember Mama, Swingers Massacre, Hills Have Eyes, Barn of the Naked Dead, Black Devil Doll from Hell, Basket Case, Headless Eye, Pigs and Witch Who Came Out of the Sea.

Then you have the stylized films of the era that really flowered into those weird fantasy/nightmare based horror films of the 80's: Lemora, Suspiria, Phantasm, any Carpenter, Spookies, Paperhouse, Malatesta's Carnival of Blood, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Axe, Fiend, The Hearse, Death Bed, Gremlins, Pumpkinhead, Anguish, The Kindred etc.

yesstiles, eric777 and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

I watched the first part of Salem’s Lot when it originally aired.....I was 11 years old. It scared me so bad I didn’t watch the second part until it came out on DVD hahaha.
    Salem's Lot (1979) Scene: "Look at me..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.