The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

As you should! My least favorite studio albums are Shakedown Street and Built to Last, but even those will get a rare spin on occasion.

2. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Well, I will be honest. Not just the Dead but Phish too. I love most of the studio albums. I am a sucker for how the songs got developed and how the bands consciously chose to preserve them for posterity

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:realmad:

4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I have the CD version I have to say on the whole the 71 remix just has that edge the 69 mix misses.
    It's my first time with the 69 mix and I was hoping to like some of them.but in all cases I think the 71 mix was the better call. Good job and it's great the original mix has been made available on CD

supermd, uzn007, Ern and 1 other person like this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It’s the bass man. :evil:

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I love you Brother, let's agree to disagree.

latheofheaven, PhoffiFozz and posnera like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, that's what I meant.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

OK -- I just got around to opening my copy of this. Is there supposed to be a booklet? (There appears to be a slot for one, but it's unoccupied...)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. US Blues

Yes. Sorry.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I have the original mix and 71 remix, both on vinyl. Both in very good condition.

I wonder: do I need this release?

I WANT it, but that's a different lust.

Do NEED the T, tho :D

latheofheaven and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The two band pics they used for it were from this Wickersham article in Electronic World magazine page 38 https://www.americanradiohistory.co...-World/60s/1969/Electronics-World-1969-09.pdf

More here on Pacific High Recording Jerry's Brokendown Palaces: Pacific High Recording, Alembic, His Master's Wheels, 60 Brady Street, San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG]

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

finally downloaded the 24/192. Listening to the 2 mixes back to back. I already had both mixes (69 mix on vinyl and 71 mix on the Complete HD Download Collection) but I think I mostly prefer the 71 mix, mainly because of the actual clarity in the mix.

Can't wait to listen to the live stuff

Matthew Tate and laf848 like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The live material didn't blow my mind, but it's nice- Furthermore, we get two rare tracks: an electric "Dupree's Diamond Blues" and "Clementine".

14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Crap.
    OK, thanks.
    (Great looking package, though...)

15. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I have the booklet but I was wondering about the download people are referring to. Is there supposed to be a code for one in this set, or is that a separately orderable thing?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Dr. Luther's Assistant

bmoregnr likes this.
  17. US Blues

The Hi Res download is a separate purchase at Dead.net.

Matthew Tate and Marvin like this.
  18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I kind of thought the same. I can see why they would probably record over the multi-tracks for those tunes even if the recording was pretty good in that they would feel, "yeah that isn't what we are looking for on the live record".

19. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I was disappointed by the mix on the live tracks. As has been mentioned earlier, the vocals are mixed low on NPC, Alligator and, I thought, Clementine.
    Why all the hubbub about it being a 16 track recording if they weren’t going to mix the damn thing properly?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. US Blues

We do not know the exact provenance of the live source. The liner notes indicate these were the first shows recorded in 16 track format, but the notes do not state that the performances in this release were newly mixed from those tapes. DL2 stated that there are reels in the Vault that were recorded 3 times: 31 Dec 1968 (and erased), and Avalon Jan 69 (and erased), that contained recorded material from the Fillmore West run in late Feb and early March. These tapes were expensive at the time and were recycled by the band.

PhoffiFozz, budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. US Blues

The tape was expensive and the band had no money. Erase and recycled. The Hippie ethos at work.

iirc- The multitrack recording from 25 January did not contain Bobby's guitar track and was deemed useless.

22. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

That would make the wobbly mix a bit more understandable.
    It would be a crappy thing to state in the anniversary edition ad copy that the live portion was multi-track recorded without clarifying that the released live recording wasn’t drawn from the aforementioned multi-track tape.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Yes but they know us Deadheads already know what they are doing and what they are doing it with anyway ;). I agree that it got about as close to the line as you can get with "Newly remastered by Jeffrey Norman, these shows were among the first live performances ever to be recorded to 16-track tape." but then they never credited anyone with mixing it. Mr. Blues was on the right track per what I think is the most we know about it from Deadessay Grateful Dead Guide: Live vs. Studio Dead 1967-69

"Unfazed, the Dead tried the 16-track again at their Avalon run from January 24-26: “We got ten people with ropes and we carried it like a sedan chair up the stairs into the Avalon.” Lesh tells the story of how (in the first set on the 25th), Weir’s guitar was lost in the mix, to the band’s great frustration. However, it appears our circulating copies come from Bear’s 2-track tapes, not the 16-tracks, as Lemieux notes: “the master 16-tracks from the first two Avalon shows were erased” to record the February Fillmore shows!
    The Dead agreed that these shows weren’t quite right (except for the Eleven>Lovelight from the 26th) – a wise decision on their part, as Dark Star would mature immensely over the next month of touring."

24. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Geez.
    And Healy wasn't even there yet, right? :laugh:

25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha, you almost slipped that one by me :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.