The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I have random drug-testing at work, so I'm operating at a serious deficit here.

(Maybe it's me...)

latheofheaven and US Blues like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Keep your Day Job, 'til your night job pays!

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Given that the multitracks were used for "China Cat Sunflower" and "Doin' That Rag" for the Rock Band video game, I'd assume the entire album's multitracks are still around. Why wouldn't they be?

Here is the isolated drums from "China Cat Sunflower"

marmalade166 and Smokin Chains like this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

With no mixing credits and the "erasure" back-story I assumed the same thing. However, the liners credit the recording of the Avalon source for CD2 to Bob and Betty, not Bear. So, were Bob and Betty running a 2-track backup at the same time, or did someone do a mixdown of those 16-track tapes before they were erased?

Six Bachelors, Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

You left out X-M, where Jer is credited with "sound effects and vocals":

;)

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  6. US Blues

I was keeping it strictly in the Jerry/GD lineage, yet X-M is another example of the experimental vein that runs through the music.

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Just so you know in Scotland, in the US there have been cooperative agreements between the US Postal Service and other shippers like UPS, Fedex etc. So when something is shipped via these other non government shippers they may hand off to the US postal service at some point along the way . In other words the US Postal Service only makes the final delivery. However the handoff procedures are glitchy to say the least so it is not uncommon for a parcel to sit at a location for a week waiting for Godot to arrive. Sometimes they actually retrace their path and then circle around. So yes it is far safer to choose a vendor that ensures single carrier at least to Customs.

marmalade166 and marcb like this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is an excellent question. I am guessing that Bob and Betty ran their own 2-track live mix during the show, probably more so they could do a quick check right after the show to see how things went, but I guess as backup for reel flips (although I doubt a song would make the live album with a patch I suppose). I seem to remember they were running multiple machines when they were doing the 8-track recordings in '67-68, so it wouldn't be that odd to me; plus my one time through leads me to believe it was a live mix where they had other things to juggle on the night. Of course as always somebody here might know more.

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

That's why I only accept jobs that give take home essay question drug tests.

10. AxiomAcoustics

Right, and Garcia gets composing credits for X-M and it has distinct echoes of "Baby" at times. Add in that it was recorded at the same studio not too long after Aoxomoxoa and you can't help wondering if Jerry was the instigator for the track. "Hey, there's this cool trippy thing we did while recording our last album....."

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

YEah, so if the credits are correct in the 50th the source would not be a Bear tape. Seems most plausible that Bob and Betty were running a separate 2-track with the multis even though that would give them even more to juggle, as you'd think that any mixdown would have been a bit more consistent. Things do improve throughout the live tracks, as per usual.

And man, I can never get enough "Death Don't Have No Mercy".

12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Amen, brother.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I wouldn't rule out that whoever did the liner notes just assumed that Bob and Betty (rather than Bear) recorded the Avalon 69 tapes used for the second CD since they recorded the Live/Dead multis.

14. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Nice surprise this morning, the T shirt I ordered only a few days ago arrived - looks great! Fast shipping to the UK :)

But...along with it, the deluxe CD set with lenticular sleeve. Totally forgotten I'd ever ordered that.....nice.

I'll have to have an Aoxomoxoa day - play the original vinyl releases and this set...

Anno, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  15. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Jeff Norman said when he was mixing the Fillmore West 1969 box that he used Bear's 2-track cassettes to patch the portions missing on the multitracks, so I think it was assumed that Bear had recorded the Avalon 2-tracks as well. They may well be Bob & Betty tapes, though -- not only is the mixing different each night, but the stereo spread is wider than Bear was usually doing at the time. Bear's mixes in '69 tend to bunch everything in the center except for drums on right & left; but these Avalon tapes have more of a sense of space in them. So these might be the first Betty Boards!

16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Cheers for the reply Mr Bass, much appreciated. I had a reply from UPS to my query, and they tell me all is well because they turned my parcel over to my local postal service - one problem with that tho, my local postal service is Royal Mail whereas UPS have given my parcel to United States Postal Service...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

For that reason, you should really at least stream the '69 mix, if you've never heard it.

marmalade166 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

So...

UPS have acknowledged that the United States Postal Service isn't my local post office and have forwarded my query to their international department :rolleyes: while Dead.net say I need to get back to them on the 17th July if it still hasn't been delivered!

And in the meantime I've ordered the double cd from Amazon and it'll arrive tomorrow :D

Matthew Tate, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  19. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Ridiculous!

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  20. US Blues

Sorry you are having so much trouble with this.

Rhino should turn over their order fulfillment to Amazon for all GD related stuff- it would save them money and hassles. Never mind how it would benefit us!

mmthmj, Matthew Tate and marmalade166 like this.
  21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Send them all by drone...

mmthmj, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

With Dead & Bro you get the drone for no extra charge. :wave:

23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Folks, anyone know if they did an in-store promo poster like they did for Cornell or Believe It...?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. US Blues

I don’t know, but if you lick the holographic cover image before you listen to the 1969 mix...

25. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I did - Wash U, Apr ‘69!

budwhite, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.