The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They didn’t have the master of the original mix at the time, supposedly, but apparently tracked it down in time for the 2010 vinyl box.

2. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Ah.
    (Glad I didn't whine much...)

GerryO likes this.
  3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Awesome selections of live tracks. Another New Potato, Alligator> Caution and most importantly a Clementine:)

4. Automatic buy.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I took part in a couple of concerts with Tom Constanten in 1975. They were concerts of modern classical music and so I never once brought up his years with Dead. Thought maybe he might be tired of those questions when he was focusing on being a composer. Sorry I didn’t as the 3 albums he played on are my favorites.

polchik, oldjollymon, mw1917 and 8 others like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dude, you didn't get the T-shirt? :nyah:

(I did!)

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A cello player I knew in college in the 90's plays with T.C. sometimes.

ianuaditis, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I think I have enough Dead shirts!

US Blues likes this.
  9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Who hired this guy?

10. Jerry

Steve

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I guess I’ll cancel my dead.net order if this is true. When I looked it was only listed one disc.

12. US Blues

So do I! :biglaugh:

ianuaditis, jazz_case and Jerry like this.
  13. US Blues

Dead.net is selling the 2 CD edition, it's $24.95 (iirc).

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Amazon has the deluxe edition for sale as mp3, but when you click on the CD version, you get directed to the 1-disc version that was issued after the Golden Road Box. At least that was the case as of a couple hours ago. They’ll probably fix that soon.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. veon

veon Forum Resident

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Steve who?

Stone Turntable, budwhite and dsdu like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

exciting news

US Blues likes this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered.

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Sure, but I might as well save $6 on shipping considering I already pay for prime.

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

"I decided it was blasphemy and I wasn't sure I wanted to live with it for the rest of my life so I decided it shouldn't go on. That's when they realized I was a chicken and a coward and I couldn't be in the band. 'Here Hunter, take a pencil you *******, do you realize how good that is?'

vudicus likes this.
  21. Jerry

I don't recall them saying one way or the other if they found the master for the box and single LP releases. The SQ reports seem to suggest that the master was still missing, and this new release may or may not resolve that. I haven't seen any word on what source was used for this impending release.

anth67 and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Jerry

Regarding the recording, from Wiki:

The album was recorded twice. The initial version, with the working title "Earthquake Country" (a bay area reference), was abandoned when Ampex manufactured and released the first 16-track multitrack recording machine (model number MM-1000). ***(This must be these recordings: see below). Offering 16 discrete tracks for recording and playback, it doubled the number of tracks that had been available when they recorded Anthem of the Sun, the previous year. Consequently, the band spent eight months in the studio, off-and-on, not only recording the album but getting used to — and experimenting with — the new technology. Garcia commented, "it was our first adventure with sixteen-track and we tended to put too much on everything...A lot of the music was just lost in the mix, a lot of what was really there". Drummer Bill Kreutzmann states, "sixteen-track technology came along only after we did our initial recording using an eight-track at the end of 1968. But when the studio procured one of the first sixteen-track recorders in the world (the same one we used for Live/Dead), the decision was made to toss everything we had already done and record it all again. From scratch. This time we could go deeper and experiment with things no other band had done yet. Being able to utilize twice as many tracks essentially doubled the possibilities of what we could do with each song. The end result was dense and cumbersome in places, and all that studio time cost us a fortune, but we were experimenting on the sonic frontier, exploiting cutting-edge technology.

***OCTOBER 1968 – EARLY 1969
    Aoxomoxoa Sessions
    Pacific Recording Studio, San Mateo (& possibly some tracks from Pacific High Recording, San Francisco)

St. Stephen >
    The Eleven
    Barbed Wire Whipping Party
    Doin’ That Rag
    Dupree’s Diamond Blues
    Instrumental (Garcia & drums)
    China Cat Sunflower
    Cosmic Charlie
    Doin’ That Rag #2
    Mountains of the Moon
    What’s Become of the Baby
    Rosemary
    Mountains of the Moon #2

These are mostly basic tracks without overdubs, many thought to be from the 8-track recording sessions in late 1968. A couple may be alternate mixes; the first three tracks were abandoned, and St. Stephen redone.

These derive from a 3.75ips reel belonging to Sandy Troy with two additional tracks supplied by a 7.5ips reel belonging to Alan Bershaw.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've always found this album a disappointment, especially after the rather splendid Anthem of the Sun.

People say What's Become Of The Baby is an 'unlistenable' track. I've got pretty tough ears but I tried again with it last year and....they're right.

DrLunchbox and uzn007 like this.
  24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I agree but I'm buying it anyway.

latheofheaven likes this.
  25. Jerry

From Grateful Dead Family Discography: Aoxomoxoa :

Aoxomoxoa was the Dead's first recording to be made without an external producer and the to be dominated by Garcia/Hunter songs. It was also the first recording by the Dead using sixteen track tape technology. Early 8-track recordings for the album were abandoned when the 16-track technology became available. Garcia commented on the use of 16-track in the first Deadheads newsletter issued in 1971;

It was our first adventure with 16-track, and we tended to put too much on everything. We tried to use up every track, and it came out mixed by committee. A lot of the music was just lost in the mix.Tom Constanten also commented on the use of 16 track technology in Skeleton Key;Mixing 16-track was another brand-new game. Even when it didn't sound loud, it sounded dense, and the VU needles were bouncing off the pins. The mixdown became a performance in it's own right, with three or more pairs of hands on the soundboard, minding their cues.The lengthy recording and mixing period and the relative lack of success of the album when released resulted in the band being in debt to Warner Brothers for nearly $200,000.
    All eight tracks are written by Garcia and Hunter. Robert Hunter spoke of the period in an interview;

Garcia asked me how I'd like to be lyricist in residence for the Dead, and I thought it might be like fine. I had written lyrics on and off since I was 17, but I fancied myself as a serious writer, and rock 'n' roll wasn't exactly what I had planned for myself. But things were changing at such an intense rate, and it seemed like it would be a nice thing to do ... I went right to work, fell right into it.Garcia spoke in a later interview about the songs, and the reason for many of them subsequently being dropped from the Dead's performances;A lot of the Aoxomoxoa songs are overwritten and cumbersome to perform. They're packed with lyrics or musical chnages that aren't worth it for what finally happens with the song. But at the time , I wasn't writing songs for the band to play - I was writing songs to be writing songs. Those were the first songs Hunter and I did together, and we didn't have the craft of songwriting down.In a Rolling Stone interview Garcia described the album as;...one of my pet records, 'cause it was the first stuff that I thought was starting to sound like how I wanted to hear songs sound.Aoxomoxoa was recorded at about the same time as Live/Dead. The first Deadheads newsletter also includes a quote from Garcia about the two albums;If you take LIVE DEAD and AOXOMOXOA together, you have a picture of what we were doing then. We were playing LIVE DEAD and we were recording AOXOMOXOA.The album title came from the cover artist Rick Griffin who had been experimenting letter groupings. Griffin asked Hunter about a title for the LP and Hunter suggested that he tried out some of his palindromic lettering things such as OXO and MOM.
    One working title of this album was Earthquake Country.

A number of outtakes from the Aoxomoxoa sessions circulate on tape.

Related releases

A white label promotional version of the LP was distributed.

Remixed and reissued in a slightly altered sleeve by Warner Brothers in 1972.

Released on CD in 1987 by Warner Brothers 2-1790

All CD releases have been of the remixed version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.