The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

69 days, but who's counting?

GerryO, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Misleading and ingenuous perhaps, but it does not specifically state that the live disc comes from the multitrack.

Perhaps some of the lawyers on the thread may wish to offer up some pro bono interpretations.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Maybe my "legaleeze" ain't so good. Lols. That said def would prefer to hear some primal '69 DEAD recorded on 16 vs. 2 tracks!!

US Blues, Jack_Straw and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. LuxInt

LuxInt Forum Resident

Currently $19.44 at Amazon.com

lc1995, Jack_Straw and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They said (factually) that these performances were among the first to be recorded to 16 track tapes. They didn't say they were using those tapes for this release.

"One hour cleaners? That's just the name of the shop, ma'am".

6. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Added to my wishlist!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I am fairly certain both mixes were included
    I am currently in China so I can't access the files unfortunately. But I clearly remember having 2 versions

8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

"Remastered"? Well, these have never been issued before so that might be the wrong word to use but it does make it sound as though they're working from 2-tracks...in which case, why not give us the Star or one of the Other Ones?

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I agree on all four of those, but I don't think they're reason enough to buy the whole albums, especially these days when you can just buy the track.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I was doing some sorting of old items in the basement last night and decided to up cycle a bunch of cassettes to friends etc. I found an old cassette that said "Aoxomxoa outtakes" listened to it twice in a row. Really raw and energetic. That "barbed wire whipping party" is absurdly funny. Probably keep that one for a bit longer.

ianuaditis, adamos, GerryO and 3 others like this.
  11. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I love the studio albums. I would add these to your "essential" studio tracks list from the albums you mention:

China Doll
    Ship of Fools
    Ripple
    Brokedown Palace
    Estimated Prophet
    Passenger

So that's 3 from each album.

Heck, I'd argue that ALL of the studio albums are essential - full of unique sounding versions of all these great songs in the catalog - with nice vocals, harmonies and other qualities that are elusive in even the best of the live performances. But you HAVE to have these 3 albums. Plus Wake of the Flood. Plus Blues For Allah. Plus Workingman's (Uncle Johns, High Time).

OK, so you have to have 6 albums ! :D

Most of the GD albums can be found for under $5 used. Doesn't matter which version you get - the originals sound great, so do the remasters (plus w/ the remasters you get all the bonus tracks).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  12. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I enjoy having full GD studio albums like Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, and American Beauty.

13. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

It strikes me that live disk might have been put together as a complement to Live Dead. The only duplicated song is Death Don't Have No Mercy, and this version might well be included because Clementine transitions into it.

ianuaditis, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I sure hope the 1969 doesn't sound like complete ASS like the 2011 Rhino LP.

15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Just got my shipping notice for my t-shirt and cd set, doubt it'll arrive in time for the 7th tho :D

mmthmj and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Just ordered my Aoxomoxoa Set:)

Looking forward to the live stuff:)

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

"Your sign says 'Open 24 Hours'."
    "Yeah, but not in a row."

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

“Got pulled over for driving 80 miles per hour. I told the cop I wasn’t going to be driving that long”

Steven Wright

19. Faster tempos on a couple of the tunes intended as radio hits- "Love In The Afternoon" and the title track- would have helped a lot. And flashier guitar solos. Garcia made it more like a Maria Muldaur record from 1973, instead of a Peter Frampton record in 1976. The target audience was looking for more upbeat tempos and guitar hero soloing. Guitar guitar, like what took Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits up the charts in 1979. Straight-in playing. No pillowy phase shifters or pedals. And with all due respect to Robert Hunter, no clavinet guitar. It's a good lyric, but Garcia didn't have to put it in bold outline by actually processing his guitar that way.

Jerry compressed his vocals a lot on that one, too, trying to sweeten his voice. He sounds better with his uniqueness intact, including his flaws. People are not always the best judges of their own singing strengths. Everybody's own voice sounds a little strange to them.

My favorite Garcia studio vocals are on the expanded outtakes of "To Lay Me Down" on his first record. He's just going for it. That singing is out of this world.

My favorite song on Cats after "Ruben and Cherise" is Donna's song, "Rain." Probably her best song. Could have used a memorable guitar break in the middle, instead of just a tease on the outro. I love "Palm Sunday" and "Down Home", too, but they're interludes. Okay, it's a pretty good record, really. What doomed it was that FM radio had changed. From melody and idiosyncrasy-friendly progressive free-form non-formatting to the narrower values of upfront guitar-based Rawk (albeit often with a lot of saxophone on the side, 1976-1978.) And even given that Album Oriented Rock radio was an inferior, condensed, formatted genre, 1978 was its last great year. The competition was steep. The rock audience was still open to melodic compositions, but the audience- the American audience, anyway- was still wanting players to show off their instrumental chops. Steely Dan's Aja would have gone nowhere without its extended instrumental breaks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    phillyal1, budwhite, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  20. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

To my pleasant surprise, my Bull Moose order of the 50th Anniversary set was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got home from work. Looking forward to digging in!

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, I agree with this. Around this time, the Dead were reportedly trying to become more popular -- working with Keith Olsen fer chrissakes! -- but they don't seem to have had any idea what the average rock fan would like. I mean, they released "Dancing In the Streets" as the single from Terrapin Station! The same thing carried over onto Cats. Jerry was probably just trying to do his best work and hoping people would dig it, but as you say, the tempos were slow and the songs just didn't rock out the way you would expect for a radio hit.

budwhite likes this.
  22. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone know if the HD Download is more dynamic than the CD on this release?

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My interest in the Dead begins and ends with the first three studio albums. Listening to the live disc of the Aoxomoxoa 50th right now: what a shambolic mess. You keep waiting for something musically interesting to happen, and it never does. Give me the psychedelic and relatively structured studio album any day.

Candlegoat and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Shambolic sounds great, Pigpens prime for me

25. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

For anyone who cares, this is another great sounding picture disc.

laf848, Matthew Tate and bmoregnr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.