The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa 50th Anniversary Details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Rough but exciting Caboose to start. Similar vibe to 2/11/69.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. DjNotNot

DjNotNot Forum Resident

The new Remaster of the Original Mix sounds just as bad as the Rhino LP to me. Prof Stoned Needledrop still takes the cake here.

3. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Really taken aback at how drastic the '71 remix was. The album basically sounds completely re-recorded. Having fun listening to this as all I've known since I was a kid was the remix version.

supermd, frightwigwam, mmthmj and 4 others like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Hey @Zapruder how's the film coming along?

latheofheaven and jazz_case like this.
  5. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Sounds like they mustn’t have done much actual mastering beyond the new Plangent transfer.

The master tape itself is very dull sounding so it seems that the improved sound of the original LP is just a result of the EQ used when cutting the original lacquers.

Should be pretty easy to recreate with Audacity or similar.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Enjoyed hearing the original mix for the first time. Wow! Glad to have it all together where it belongs in the nice anniversary set. Looking forward to the next in the series. :righton:

Crispy Rob, supermd, GerryO and 5 others like this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My copy came with a beautiful large GD Comix China Cat lithograph! gorgeous

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Was the hdtracks release several years ago the original or remix? Can’t remember...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

That is wack!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

'71 remix.

Matthew Tate and lucan_g like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Am I right in thinking the Rhino vinyl reissue from a few years ago was the original mix?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

How does the live disc sound?

Matthew Tate and Dahabenzapple like this.
  13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Great - multi-tracks like Live/Dead

14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Still trying to find the reel I lost. That had some really great shots on it.

supermd, Buddybud, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I need to download the 24/192 but I’ve got so much to listen to i.e. the Dylan 1975 box

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. DjNotNot

DjNotNot Forum Resident

I would have to question if this is really the master tape, or if the tape itself was poorly cared for. There is some nasty breakup and distortion in Mountains of The Moon and some other tracks.
    The Original LP sounds clear and detailed in every bad spot on the remaster.

17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The liner notes of this 50th Anniversary Aoxomoxoa expand on Jerry’s quote above that “I didn’t really bother to teach the material anyone else in the band ... we didn’t go about it as a group at all.” I’ve always noticed that Garcia (and Robert Hunter) dominate the songwriting on Aoxomoxoa, but, until I read the liner notes for this reissue, I didn’t realize that Bob Weir and Pigpen were nearly fired from the band during this period. This is basically a Jerry Garcia solo album in all but name, which makes it their best early album, I find, because I prefer his writing and singing to Weir’s and Pigpen’s.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I'm poking around the '69 mix CD against the Professor's on the office system and the CD pretty easily wins in my book so far, just far more of that closer to the master tape feel to me and all the psych effects are better technically conveyed. I'm going to play the whole thing on the big rig but I'm not getting any tape problems nor dullness in my mind. Looking at all the tracks in Audacity I don't see anything close to limiting. It will be interesting to see if the hi res is any different as I don't remember them being different for an album given it's Glasser that does these, but maybe somebody knows differently. Anyway I love this mix; I would have loved this album far more from the beginning if I cut my teeth on this mix earlier in my tenure with it.

19. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I think original mix sounds great. Definitely subtleties are evident that were missing on 2011(?) vinyl issue. Even Whatever Happened To The Baby was good. Surprised to receive today.

20. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

What's the professor's? I have a needle drop version of the original mix from the professor is that the same thing?

latheofheaven and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

I have never heard the Prof Stoned needledrop (never heard of it and don't even know where to find it) but I have never heard any version of Aoxomoxoa that I would consider a sonic master piece. I have a UK 1969 original, a UK mid 70s re-issue, the first cd issue, the rhino re-release and now the 50th Anniversary. I'm struggling to understand why someone's needledrop would be better than anything else?

22. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Pretty sure the original mix only sounds off mostly because of the mix, and tape degradation on this 50 year old mix got to it a bit. Wasn’t it lost for many years? It may have been improperly stored. I think this release sounds as good as it can.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Im lovin' the damn thing, myself. Never heard the original mix, lotta different stuff in there, man!:agree:

24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Sorry heepsterandrey, didnt mean to include your quote...

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

No, there are studio outtakes from the album that were recorded on 8 track which they dumped entirely and then re-recorded on 16 track. The 8 track recordings are very different and quite interesting: a version of St Stephen with telephone and bagpipes, a "song" called "Barbed Wire Whipping Party", a version of Cosmic Charlie that sounds like the Beach Boys are playing it...it's essentially a complete and fully different version of the album. It has circulated for decades in pretty decent sound quality, but at this point should really be released officially...just like the outtakes from Workingman's Dead with the early version of Ripple and other things should be released...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.