The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Now this is funny. In a post-apocalyptic sort of way :cry:

I thought I heard bzfgt cry this mornin'
    I thought I heard bzfgt cry today
    You didn't hear no bzfgt cry this mornin'
    You didn't hear no bzfgt cry today

Very good "Dew", BTW. Then again I like the slow songs and have already gotten a lot of hatemail (well, PM's) because of that. Good thing I'm torturing meself with David Crosbys "Triad".

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    notesofachord, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ha, I actually like the Veneta Dark Star but it drives me crazy when everyone talks about it like it's the benchmark of Dead jamming. Today I looked up the review of 8/24 on Heady Version and the first thing I see is "not quite Veneta-good" or something to that effect...."Veneta" to me is starting to be like "Clouseau" to Inspector Dreyfus:

[​IMG]

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Here is MAMU:

[​IMG]

Here is “Me and My Uncle”:

[​IMG]

Remember kids, stay in school and don’t use acronyms!

5. bzfgt

The slow ones have always been my favorite, since I was 15 and started getting into them. I became a Jerry-worshiper, practically, on the basis of "Candyman," "High Time," "Sugaree," "Stella Blue," "Brokedown Palace," and yeah "Row Jimmy"...

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. bzfgt

It's easy to remember with a simple mnemonic: RKSISADUA!

7. notesofachord

Okay, Mr. Spicoli, dude. Will do, bro. Hey, did the pizza guy get here yet?

[​IMG]

8. Stone Turntable

Thank you, Mr. Hand!

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wait, what did I do now? :laugh:

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  10. bzfgt

Wait, is that the 9:30 hoggydoggy is talking about? I thought we were at 9:30 of the first part. Is it a kind of auditory pareidolia that I found something similar there?!

11. BurtThomasWard

Well, at least we have each other ;)

I find it strange that people 'only' like the trippy or spaced out parts of the repertoire. I mean, I you consider how insanely well-written all this boring, morose crap actually is. "Wharf-Rat" and "Comes a Time" :love: (and yes, I consider "CaT" more or less a Dead song. Because).

12. bzfgt

Wow, listening to 8/21 which is another good Star but maybe not quite as good as 8/24 (or maybe I'm just cramming too many Dark Stars in my head). Jerry tries to play Morning Dew and he is DENIED! Good block!! (I like it right now because I just listened to Morning Dew and don't want to burn out on it)

13. bzfgt

Whoa...Mr. Hand?! Harshed!

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. bzfgt

You asked for "underground" Dark Stars, didn't you?

15. bzfgt

Well, the Dead played it. It's definitely a Dead song--did JGB even play it? I think it's only the Dead...

And it's a classic of course. Wharf Rat is actually my least favorite of the genre because the lyrics are kind of corny.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

I kid because I love.

bzfgt, ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Quite a while back (May or June) I asked for any Dark Stars, but, recently, no. I think you may be thinking of budwhite's post on eclipse day. Regardless, thanks!

budwhite likes this.
  18. notesofachord

Exactly. The trippy/improv stuff is essential to their appeal, but what makes them the greatest American band (if not the greatest band, period - which is debatable), is how they spun the Americana, rhythm 'n blues, disco-funk, ballads, oldies, etc. into the mix and made it all work so well. If all they did was the "head" music, well, they wouldn't be the Grateful Dead, they'd be...

Gong
    [​IMG]

*not that there's anything wrong with that.

budwhite, trd, footlooseman and 4 others like this.
  19. BurtThomasWard

Corn is King, baby! :mad:

If those lyrics were written by lesser hands, they woulda been. But I think they are just about perfect. Very bitter and harsh. Don't forget about the use of 'that' word :angel:

budwhite, trd, ducksdeluxe and 3 others like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

I do like me some Gong from time to time. But compared to the melting pot that is Dead they come off as being almost one dimensional.

I do not however know if I'd call the Dead the best band ever. But there is more proof to this being a fact than the opposite :D

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  21. bzfgt

Well I'm not saying it's family-friendly, just (a little) corny. "I'll get up and fly away" is pretty on the nose....then again, please don't argue with me because I DO NOT want to convince you, that would be terrible! I'd rather you convinced me, but I've known the song for 35 years so that's doubtful...

budwhite and BurtThomasWard like this.
  22. bzfgt

Gong is killer. And Acid Mothers Temple's 50-minute version of the "Master Builder" riff is some kind of masterpiece.

And, while we're off-topic, the "Pitchfork's Top 200" thread is hilarious...I recommend it. It went up yesterday and it's probably at 700 pages now, though...

23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes:
    The only oddity is that Jerry's messing with this atonal riff that involves the notes E, F and F#, so when Bobby starts Uncle, that F natural sounds a bit out of place, but Jerry sorts things out in short order.

budwhite, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  24. bzfgt

I had to play around with the link you give (in case anyone else wants to look at it, I don't know) but yes, that was it. Sorry, dzhason, I guess I probably thought it was you because you're relatively new to all the Dark Stars that aren't 2/13/70 and 10/31/71, and interested in Dark Star.

Bud White: HEED MY WORDS!!

budwhite likes this.
  25. BurtThomasWard

But you see, I am already convinced :D Free will and all that.

For me it is more than enough that I like something without having to convince others out there that they believe in the wrong god (Weir) and the like. But I do think that you overlook the gloom and fatalism of those words. I find it to be some sort of modern Rime of the Ancient Mariner but with a bottle instead of a (bleedin') albatross (flavour). Others might disagree.

You must also consider the fact that I am insane.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.