The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

I love lamp.

Crispy Rob and DrLunchbox like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Starting in fall 69 when they broke it out, at least through march of 70 where I am up to now, I have a star on almost every version. They clearly enjoyed playing it, and there's a lot of emotional and mental content in most performances of it, which no doubt contributes to moments like the one you mentioned.
    The acoustic version of Black Peter from Bear's Choice was on a compilation I had when I first got into the band in middle school. (first CD I bought myself.) I thought it kind of dragged on, but that's because I didn't have the patience always to listen to it.
    The version I mentioned from 3-7-70 was an acoustic version with Pig and Phil joining in, which was very effective. But as I said above, I haven't heard a perfunctory reading yet.
    I had a few pages to catch up, and ever since people were talking about Black Peter, I planned to mention this show, which has another excellent version of the song.
    There's a clip of Mickey Hart saying it just like that somewhere. (@bzfgt )

adamos, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  3. libertycaps

Actually, pronouncing the x as a zeta is prolly more native tongue correct.
    But !!AMERICA, **** YEAH!! and stuff....Lols.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. libertycaps

Hmmmmm..."Oz-Oh-Moz-Zoooh-Aaaah"

Sounds like a good title for yet another Morrissey Greatest Hits collection.

Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Getting back to some semblance of sensibility (who, us?), there's a version of 12/1/79 up on Relisten that I hadn't noticed before (I have no idea of it's recent; I may have simply missed it because I usually just look for the 2nd set). Most of us are aware of the fidelity and fantastic nature of the 2nd set on this one, but this is the whole show (I think). I only listened to the opener Jack Straw and the first set closer, TMNS. The sound seems to improve over the first set and TMNS is a very good one. And if you haven't heard the second set, put everything else away (including all sharp objects), stow your tray table in the upright position, secure your lap belts and dig on this at Relisten (you've got to have a bit of intestinal fortitude to find it, FYI):

Taper: Unknown
    Transferer: Charlie Miller
    Source: SBD -> Cassette Master (Sony TCD5M/UDXL-II) -> Dat (Panasonic SV3800/48k)
    Lineage: Dat (Sony D8) -> M-Audio Dio2448 -> Samplitude Professional v8.0 -> FLAC -> Adobe Audition v1.5 -> Samplitude Professional v10.2 -> FLAC All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
    Description: Hover
    Rating: 4.8 / 11 reviews

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Black Peter?

14 April 1978- VPI, Blacksburg, VA. Jerry's singing is world class.

7. US Blues

You got the date wrong, and you got it wrong later on, too. No matter, so long as you listened to the show from El Paso, TX. Did you hear the Space > Me & Bobby McGee?

bzfgt likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Continuing on with Lakeland, Fla. '77, Sampson & Delilah. Yes! That's a good second set kick-off. Maybe not the best, but, you know, you'd be bouncin'.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  9. US Blues

That is the cassette master version. There is another circulating version which comes from a reel master, with a cassette generation in the lineage.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  10. Archtop

OK, but when it is coming out as a full show is the inevitable question. Is this one those "everybody has it already in fine nick so we don't need to release it" circumstances? And to tie in the Black Peter discussion earlier, the Black Peter on 12/1/79 is fine, fine, fine. And the subsequent Sugar Mag is among the best they ever played.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and footlooseman like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and libertycaps like this.
  12. wavethatflag

This movie is very true to life.

I got distracted so I had to re-cue up the GD I was listening to. Starting from Sampson again.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That one's coming up in my queue also. I'm trying to catch up all 3 years I'm working on, otherwise I could easily hear 2 or 3 of those 78 shows in a day.

This arrangement has led to lots more 78 and 70 than 91 so far, and that is never a bad thing.

14. wavethatflag

I can't listen to more than one full show a day. Well, I could, but I don't want to.

15. Archtop

I listen to 1:13 segments of 10 shows a day. I have no idea if I'm sane.

16. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

That’s interesting archtop....typically I listen to 1 full or partial show in a day or skip around within a box set / time. Say E72, May 77 or Spring 90. Or I’m just in a mood for 73 cowboy songs...or slow jerry songs.

I guess I used to skip around a lot more when I just listened to the archive but I’ve been in a mode of digesting official releases this year so I guess that’s why I’ve been sticking to 1 show a day

Crispy Rob and Archtop like this.
  17. Archtop

From my perspective, it is what it is. I've no interest in full shows; rather, I seek moments of brilliance. Silly, but there you go...

18. wavethatflag

I don't necessarily need to see the sausage being made. :D

So this is an early Estimated in this Lakeland show. I guess I could look up the historical significance somewhere. Lots of chatter before it, on how it's the most difficult thing they've attempted in a while. I don't know if that's serious. I suppose any song where you count out 8 before you start might be a challenge.

Archtop and budwhite like this.
  19. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

I have plenty of screen shots saved of your posts I have yet to fully get through and I’m always grateful for the moments you (and many others in this thread) point out archtop!

I just did the math and between E72, May 77 and Spring 90 that’s 53 officially released shows!

Archtop and budwhite like this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The Golden Road?

Archtop likes this.
  21. bzfgt

What "native tongue" is Aoxomoxoa in?!

22. bzfgt

Crap. Somehow, don't ask me how, yes. 11/23/1973, right? That's what I have been listening to, until I switched to Jai Alai 6/23/1974. I may go back to that though, although I did listen to that portion of that smoking show once already tonight. On the other hand, Archie wants me to listen to 12/1/1979 (I have heard it before but not in a while and it caught my fancy when he mentioned it) plus I want to listen to the new Daves Pick...I think I'll get to some of that.

budwhite likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Like Minglewood, hatred of Samson is misplaced (and it's a better song than Minglewood). Where else can you get this particular brand of smoking Garcia? And, I know I've said it before and so have several others of you, but my favorite version is the one from DP 18, because Bobby's vocal mic breaks and Garcia has to blaze for several minutes at the beginning, so it's just more blazing Jerry than you get on any other version.

24. bzfgt

I'm listening to the Miller version from 2008, shnid 96408. I'm not sure if that's the one Archie mentions; my policy, in lieu of more detailed information, is to listen to the most recently uploaded Charlie Miller sbd of anything where such is available. Is there a better version?

25. libertycaps