The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

My bad. I’m listening to Vol 7. You certainly know your Dead very well.

And I heard Vol 6 weeks earlier and you’re right. While I felt that the band was dragging their feet on the first set, things improved dramatically in the second set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Appreciate the thought but if I go down that wormhole, I’m in serious trouble.

Fwiw, my wife and I are going to see Dark Star Orchestra on 12/28 @ Wellmont Theatre in Montclair, NJ. It’s billed as a “Cosmic New Years” show for whatever that means. First time to see this band so it will fun to compare and contrast to the JRAD show that we will attend 16 days later!!

adamos, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The "Wharf Rat" from that release is one of my very favorites as well.

4. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Fantastic!!

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Pray that DSO plays an original set, those are always their best performances.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't necessarily agree with this comment, but I recall a DSO show where it was obvious to me that they were not playing any known GD show, and then after it was over they said "that was an original set list" and I thought "hey, that's cheating!"

US Blues likes this.
  7. US Blues

I've seen them 3 times, twice they did GD shows and it was like watching re-runs. The one time they played an original set the show was truly worthwhile. It was clear to me how much they constrain their talent by playing to a particular year, whereas in the free set they played their hearts out. For me there was no comparison.

Spadeygrove, budwhite and nitsuj like this.
  8. wavethatflag

I've seen them, let's see, more than five times but probably less than ten, and I've never noticed a quality difference between original sets and re-runs. For me, the point is the re-runs, and the last time I saw them they rocked a '69 set.

budwhite likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The only time I saw them, they played the Landover '88 show with the Ripple encore. Total snoozer, like paying to go listen to a tape, but not quite as good. I might have soured on them less quickly if I'd caught them recreating a better show, but I doubt it. The whole concept of trying to accurately recreate someone else's improvised show was impressive in execution but also seemed pointless, especially when there are so many great live acts out there. Not for me. I am intrigued by JRAD, who seem to have a completely different approach that is much more up my alley, and includes musicians that I respect from hearing them in other, non-Dead related contexts (Benevento and Driewitz, specifically). Would have liked to have caught JRAD at the Fox this past Saturday, but the timing didn't work out, hopefully next time around.

hyde park, budwhite, nitsuj and 3 others like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes; the thing about JRAD is they make very little effort to be like the GD and as a result, they are very much like them. Not so much in sound or even note choices, but their overall approach to improv is fresh and seemingly spontaneous and therein lies the resemblance.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Exactly, I prefer a similarity in adventurous spirit to a similarity in sound.

bmoregnr, footlooseman, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  12. wavethatflag

I definitely like DSO over JRAD as of now. DSO is for the Beatlemania aspect. I wasn't there to see the original show, but now all these guys and gal are playing it for me.

I liked JRAD enough the first time, but the second time I was not impressed at all (Peachfest '15). JR was dominating the mix as he beat the hell out of his kit. Not enjoyable. I'd try them again though.

budwhite, Archtop and nitsuj like this.
  13. US Blues

I've had the pleasure of seeing Joe Russo play a bunch with Phil in Furthur and Phil & Friends (w/Warren, John Scofield, Jackie Greene and Jeff Chimenti), along with a couple of JRAD shows, and I'm here to say that he GETS IT.

True story: when he was invited to join Furthur I had a colleague who had been in High School with Joe, and was still friends with him. Joe was the one person in this group of high school friends, others of whom became pro musicians, who was not into the Dead, of course. Once he got into Furthur the music awakened within him and he's obviously hooked. This music has a power beyond the notes and lyrics.

14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Anyone else going to the two Texas shows? Maybe we could hang out between Dallas and Austin... :yikes:

15. wavethatflag

Joe was great in Furthur. I saw that band at least 10 times. JRAD ain't Furthur, not that a lot of JRAD fans would want that anyway.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That has not been my experience. The 3 original sets I saw (out of 7 shows so far) have been much too reliant on 80s material. The best show I've seen from them was a cover of 5/31/69 with a few extras added at the end, including Alligator>The Eleven which was hair-raising.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  17. wavethatflag

This is basically what I saw from them last time around. The encore was White Rabbit because Rob Barraco said the earlier sets tended to be shorter. They may have added some extra GD tunes also, I don't exactly recall.

18. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Saw DSO a couple times in Madison and Milwaukee. Both were early/mid 70's shows. Both featured John K. doing Jerry's licks, and the twirling girl. They were super tight and both shows sucked me in. The guy that does Bob is rock solid. My brother is a musician but not a Head, and he was thumbs up all the way.

Need to catch them again, and hopefully JRAD if they ever go east of the mighty Mississip.

Have seen a bunch of Dead cover bands over the years. Some very talented, some not so much. Every band was into it, and a good time was always had by all.

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

All the above posts have me fired up for the upcoming shows!

Earlier playing second set from Dick's 5 from 12/26/79 - the post Estimated Jam is awesome / ended towards the end of He’s Gone - to be continued in the AM

Then second set from 5/28/77 - the Playing is sweet, NFA OK with strong Wharf Rat. 1st Set much better per my memory - that gets played later on this week as I haven’t heard the great 19 minute Sugaree in a while....

nitsuj, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  20. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]

:thumbsup::thumbsup: for DSO from me. Everytime fun.

wavethatflag and Dahabenzapple like this.
  21. trd

trd Forum Resident

Rob Eaton. Yes, same Rob Eaton who (among other things) helped bring the recent stash of Betty Boards to the vault

bmoregnr, US Blues, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  22. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Def on board with a '69 Boston Tea Party Ark Box. Vintage, primal Dead? Yes!

nitsuj and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just read an article where he's portrayed as having an ax to grind with Bob and Phil over Kadlecik
    Deadhead

It also contains this disheartening quote from Phil:
    “I also listen to a lot of country music, you know, like the new country music.

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

2012 eh.. At least that was before the bro/rap country thing :hurl:

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

Music from which Country, though? :laugh:

If Eaton is pissed about the boys stealing Kadlecik, it's really because he's jealous there was no place for him in Furthur.

trd and bzfgt like this.