The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Speaking of 1983, this show is one piece of evidence in my case that Jerry did not "deteriorate" after 1979:

The crowd is hilarious too.

hyde park, Claxton, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  2. bzfgt

I have not done so. Too much music...

3. bzfgt

I love that, I haven't heard that (or any 1979 I don't think) in 7 or 8 years. I guess if someone never got sick of the Dead, they'd never have to listen to anything else for several lifetimes. Even when I'm not sick of them I get sick of certain years though.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

IWT! I'm happy to know we were at a show "together."

There's a reason nobody turns cartwheels about Nassau '84. Or 23 April 1984 in New Haven. Or the Harrisburg show that year. I saw all of them- feh. I recall being at Furthur shows at the 1st Bank Center and thinking to myself: "holy smokes this is so much better than some of those shows I saw on the early 80's!" And I saw some shows in the 80's that are legendary.

Now I had some foul luck in '84 in terms of shows attended, no doubt. And I know there are many 80's shows that are great, I had ALL those tapes in the day, kept track of the band as best as possible before this internet thing came into use. And it is what it is.

JRM, KDubATX, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  5. bzfgt

Right, I guess it would be hard for us to converge on this since I only saw one show from 84-89 and why would I listen to Nassau 84 if it was so bad? It's similar with me and 92-94, I didn't see many good ones and when people talk about the "renaissance" of 1993 I can't really feel it in my bones.

I did have amazing luck from 89-91 though, I counted the other day and 6 or 7 of the shows I saw were released in one form or another and some of the others should be and probably will be. I think that does skew one's perception.

I will say that at the very least Garcia was capable of amazing playing at least until 1991, even if he didn't always do it. But I just didn't see many (I don't think any) shows in those years where he seemed like he was phoning it in so he could go smoke heroin. And I saw some of the best guitar playing--actually, I saw the best guitar playing I have ever or will ever see in those years, I will insist on that. Keep in mind I'm a Deadhead and not impartial, though.

6. bzfgt

I liked it, but I was in the third tier and it wasn't the most overwhelming experience I had at a show, in retrospect (or, as I was subsequently to learn). But I think it holds up on tape, not as one of their best shows ever but as a solid show with some really enjoyable stuff, and really good Garcia playing! A bit sloppy at times, but I could play you stuff that's a bit sloppy from any era.

It is cool that we got to hang, though (sort of!).

US Blues likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I was pretty lucky in the three 1984 shows I saw. The two at Ventura are unique, both with some crazed energy, and the one from the NYE run was essentially a 1985 show. Rock and roll. He's Gone>Spoonful for the main jam just crackles.

I'm not much into solo Jerry live shows, but this one here is serious fkg business.

JRM, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  8. bzfgt

I like the JGB stuff from 1978 on much better. Maybe one day I'll have some kind of epiphany and realize why everyone loves the early to mid-70s stuff, but it's all so slow and weird and less burning guitar.

DrLunchbox and US Blues like this.
  9. bzfgt

I think this is the most I've ever enjoyed the legendary 1983 SPAC Morning Dew....the trick is to listen to the rest of the show first to acclimate to the sound quality.

Hard burning Scarlet Fire by the way, although I had heard that before I never listened to the first set and I found some good stuff there too.

A SBD of this would be the find of the century.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. US Blues

I was right off the floor in the Phil Zone that night. Brent plays a distinct Peter & The Wolf riff towards the end of the jam out of Playing In The Band. It was a very solid show, I recall being happy to have seen 2 good shows that Fall, the other being in Worcester on 8 October. Of course, that was night they dropped a big Dark Star jam in the middle of Birdsong... :agree:

Billy_Sunday, budwhite, trd and 3 others like this.
  11. US Blues

JGB '78 is Amrita. Especially the March tour, Jerry's playing is consistently astounding that month, and it translated to the April Dead tour.

I saw the JGB at the Last Chance Saloon in Poughkeepsie the first week of June, 1983, right before the great SPAC show. A tiny place and Jerry was playing beautifully. Early and late show, good times.

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I think 1970 was the peak year for NFA. I don't love the singalongs of the 80s and 90s.

I'm with you on that Peggy-O. I haven't heard one to top it, and IMO the versions from 78 just completely slay the earlier renditions. (It's like Sugaree in the 80s vs. pre-hiatus.)
    That Half Step is also pretty great, it's one of my favorites. I owe @US Blues for that recommendation.

13. ianuaditis

72-74 is my favorite period of Garcia's side projects - the Garcia/Saunders stuff and Legion of Mary is frequently out there and crazy, and there's plenty of burning guitar. That band was more like a 'electric jazz combo plays rock, jazz and r&b standards' kind of configuration vs. his later 'good time r&b, rock, and gospel revue' of late 75-95.

There's a couple versions of 'Wicked Messenger' from 1974 that sound like almost like (70s) heavy metal! (except with saxophone :laugh: )

I recommend Garcia Live vol 9 and the 4-20-75 Legion of Mary concert for any who are yet unconverted.

14. bzfgt

I agree on some time early 70s. For some reason I don't usually like the late 70s ones as much, but Englishtown is one I enjoy.

But the 80s "bop bop bops" are too underrated. Yeah, they played it too much or at least too predictably or something, but there is some guitar going on amidst all the bop bop bops and live it was sometimes a pretty hard rocking affair. I like the bop bop bop ones but I do not submit that this is the best incarnation of the song, the bop bop bop.

Just now I remembered a Scarlet>Fire I used to like and sought it out and put it on--1980-12-13 from the LBC.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  15. bzfgt

I think my love for 4/8/78 has something to do with the sound of the recording as well as the performance (that is also my favorite Scarlet>Fire). Something about the way it sounds almost makes me feel like I'm listening in a dream.

I think SQ can make a huge impact on how much we like things, and I don't just mean "good" vs. "bad" sound but the particular quality of it.

I had an Aud tape of 1978-07-05 for years, and when I heard the 78 box version of that Eyes it was like a different song; the same solos, but the way it's mixed on the SBD is a different experience.

I have never gotten much out of pre-hiatus Peggy-o. Another one is Iko Iko--when did that start, 77 or 78? Anyway the late 70s versions are so limp I always think there must be something I'm missing and there is more to it. And there probably is, but some songs from some eras I just can't hear or something.

adamos, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  16. bzfgt

So, basically, you're calling me a shallow good time Joe. Got it.

Cool, man, I am going to push 'play' on that as soon as this FOTM winds down...

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. bzfgt

Just kidding, by the way; I don't like those emotioncons but sometimes it makes things confusing not to use them.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. bzfgt

Wow, that's some stuff like you imagine musicians playing for fun after the audience goes and the charwoman is sweeping like in the video for "Sweetheart Like You." Maybe wearing berets and when someone passes you a joint you stop soloing for a minute.

That's just my impression of the first minute though! I should say I never disliked this stuff but never got the same level of excitement as later JGB.

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. ianuaditis

Iko Iko showed up once in May 77, and then was put on the shelf until October. It didn't become common until 78. There are a couple that are good, but Brent's busy playing fit that tune a lot better than 78-79 Keith.

oh, phew, I was horribly offended. ;) (tempted to leave that off, but yeah )

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  20. bzfgt

OK, there's a little bit of guitar on this!

21. bzfgt

OK I have listened to this before, this is the one with the telephone noises. Anyway I dig it but it hasn't moved me off 1978-1991 yet! Behold:

adamos and ianuaditis like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm still making my way through 6-16-90, they were just about to exit "Space" when I left off. But I'm sort of distracted right now, I'm not listening to anything at the moment. Except for my relaxing white noise sound machine that I leave on constantly. That's OK, don't call 911, I'm fine.

Anyway, it really isn't the best 1990 show. It's OK. I'd say almost every Spring '90 show I've heard beats it. But it doesn't suck, it's just kind of maybe, I don't know, average for 1990? Of course I haven't heard the big finish yet.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. trd

trd Forum Resident

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  24. bzfgt

1974-5-19 is Portland and wow there's some good guitar playing. Truckin>Jam and GTRFB are blowing my mind, man. Men? People, maybe someday there will be a woman or two.

25. bzfgt

Is this something to which you fellows groove? I don't remember it but I downloaded it because it is hot stuff.

ianuaditis likes this.