The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw the debut of "That Would Be Something" at one of the Boston Garden Shows, took me awhile to realize what the song was as it was so out of context for me (and I have owned the album it is from for 45 years !).

Monroro, US Blues, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

One of our current loads is due in Tuscaloosa this week - thanks for the reminder of what to play! :)

3. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Once at Boston Garden in 1991 and that was it until three performances in 1993 (6/7 Michigan, 9/17 MSG, and 12/11 San Diego). At the time I prided myself on staying up to date on things but I have to admit being pretty damn confused when they went into it at the San Diego gig. (it became more frequent in '94)

Matthew Tate, Monroro and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Back in the mid-'80s not only those, but also Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah and, less tragically, Steal Your Face were all out of print. MoFi put out a vinyl copy of Mars Hotel that I picked up at the time, very expensive to me at the time but the only way of getting it. By '87 or '88, at least all of the studio albums had been reissued on CD. (Side note, Reckoning was only available with terrible packaging/name as For the Faithful, I still have that version as my vinyl copy).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Re;Reckoning was only available with terrible packing/name as For the Faithful, I still have that version as my vinyl copy).[/QUOTE]
    Right, and on Pair Records confusingly enough !!

Jman92, jazz_case and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

A cassette of "For the Faithful" (paired with a WB two-fer cassette of "Workingmans/American Beauty") both handed down to me in the mid-80's were my proverbial bus-stop.

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I too was exposed to Reckoning via a For The Faithful cassette purchased in the late 80s. I guess hidden treasures can be unearthed at suburban shopping malls. :)

[​IMG]

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Latvala always insisted that fall 77 was superior to spring 77. I saw many shows that year, and agree whole heartedly. The best Estimateds, Truckins, Peggy-O's, Terrapins, and my favorite Black Peter in October at Tempe.

9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Finishing the evening with 2/26/73. A gem of a show from early '73. This is a subsequent listen, and I'm digging it more than I did the first time through.

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The second half from 2/28 ain't nothin' to sneeze at. The Jack Straw kicks it. And then it ramps up in a big way.

bzfgt, wavethatflag, adamos and 6 others like this.
  11. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I remember liking 2/28 more the first time through, I’ll see if that holds when I listen to it later today.

Archtop likes this.
  12. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

This one and the one before it, the second Garcia (or Compliments).
    Mississippi Moon from Garcia sure is a weird song.

[​IMG]

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Literally just walked in from my mailbox where I received the Golden Road set this morning. Already had the SACD of AB, and a couple others but I'm too lazy to buy them individually when this set is supposed to be just fine. (But is that without or without the HDCD conversion?)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Compliments is my favorite Jerry studio album, but the alternate take of Mississippi Moon, without horn and strings, is much better I think...

trd and budwhite like this.
  15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'll listen to the alternate take, but Mississippi Moon is one of my favorite things ever recorded in the studio by Garcia. Great instrumentation. Who uses a bass clarinet? Genius.

bmoregnr, bzfgt, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The HDCD’s in the Golden Road box do not utilize HDCD features and do not benefit from HDCD decoding

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think one of our resident recording technology experts, @bmoregnr, said that Jeffrey Norman uses HDCD because he likes the filters used in that process, not because of the encoding/decoding aspect, which he hasn't featured at all for a while because he wanted everyone to have the same experience when listening.

I know of at least one audio manufacturer who's come out and said, in so many words, that the encode/decode process was much ado about nothing. But, full disclosure, I've never owned a CD player with HDCD decoding.

bmoregnr and budwhite like this.
  18. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

That's odd. Then why label them so?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

From a few weeks back:
    The one thing I'm still unclear about is which earlier Dead HDCD releases, if any, DO utilize the full array of HDCD grooviness and thus benefit from an HDCD player. For instance is it really true that the Golden Road box discs sound exactly the same on regular and HDCD players (as is stated above)? Norman seems to be saying he only stopped using peak extension sometime after the Complete Europe '72 came out in 2011.

:shrug:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Matthew Tate, NorCal, adamos and 3 others like this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

The CD version was even minus 1 tune...Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie.

Matthew Tate and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Dude my home town...we could have met for lunch or something. It could have been....the most freaking awesome lunch ever!!!!:D

22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dick's 35, 8/7/71 Golden Hall, San Diego, CA portion. Garcia's guitar part on "Mr. Charlie" sounds higher than usual.

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

That’s because it was inconsistently applied prior to that. All the Dick’s Picks from 15 on utilized the features. Some of the Road Trips and Download Series did, but not all and there is no pattern I can discern. The early Dave’s Picks did, none since 2015 do. Both official release box sets (studio and live) do not. The live box set yearly releases up through 2014 did, even the ones sourced from 16/44.1 digital recordings (i.e., no possible benefit from Peak Extend, only losses for those without HDCD decoders).

Matthew Tate, NorCal, adamos and 7 others like this.
  24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

It is a cool treatment by Garcia, but it throws me off when I revisit after
    a long layoff. But yeah, it is pretty good. Actually a lot of weird stuff is
    some of the best stuff. lol

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Listening to that, yes, on those early 1971 versions Garcia is playing an upper harmony guitar part compared to Weir's part, while on Europe '72 they are playing in unison. Also in 1971 they usually mess up the timing coming back in after "Mr. Charlie told me so" while by Europe I think they get it right on every version.

Matthew Tate, NorCal, adamos and 4 others like this.