The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Fine with me, with the proviso that 4/16/78 has to be in there.

bmoregnr, KeninDC and RockRoom like this.
  2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"Keep Your Day Job." That's almost as bad as a song entitled "Put Out That Doob."

You're acting foolish and you don't look cool/Re-write your resume and put out that doob.

3. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  4. bzfgt

I find Day Job merely blah, not terrible.

Six Bachelors and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. bzfgt

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and RockRoom like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think it's the lyrical content more than the music. A musically incredible song called Don't Go On Tour would have also been ill-received.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

RockRoom likes this.
  8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Hey man, don't put this on me! There are probably a dozen others from '78 alone that should be on that list. I just can't remember them all!

bmoregnr and SBegonias17 like this.
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Tight Pants Blues. Worst song ever. Yes, even worse than Samba.

talkingleaf, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  10. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Ha ha. You're telling me!

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Those all belong in the running. France gets a pass from me for being album-only.
    Wave to the Wind is pretty embarrassing. I'm OK with IWTYH. Eternity is also bottom-5 material.
    Money Money isn't just a bad song musically (which it is) but it is an awful lyric. The GD catalog has a pretty broad subject list, but gold digging (not mining, which fits right it) doesn't belong. Dupree's may have a similar concept but it has a sense of humor and much better music behind it.

In what I'm sure will be a controversial pick, I'll also nominate Lazy River Road. I never liked it much and heard it at almost every show I went to. Boring.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and carville like this.
  12. bzfgt

It's just good sound advice. Like the song Situation Vacant by the Kinks--why does he quit his job before looking for a better one? Makes no sense.

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

On the other hand... I don't ever remember looking at (or being at a show) and thinking... man, I hope Jerry doesn't play Peggy-O. Nor do I ever remember thinking "well that was a waste of 6-9 minutes".

14. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

"Run along, take your ball and go home"

Uh. Ok.:hide:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Oh what I would give to just hear it one more time....

US Blues, Crispy Rob, trd and 3 others like this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

All this talk of Peggy-O has reminded me of the Hunter-Haynes piece... that also talks about Fennario... "Lay of the Sunflower".

budwhite, fishcane and RockRoom like this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Re: ‘90s Peggy-O’s 6/24/94 Vegas is known as a good one from near the end. It can’t compete with earlier years but maybe gets consideration for the play-in game for late-era long shots.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The thing that amazed me about 94... is that while his fingers might have been starting to fail him... Jerry's voice sounded really good on the ballads, IMHO.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I like the music. Close to generic 70's rock but with some of Weir's usual twists.

20. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Money Money is the worst of the “prime” era. A lot of the 90s tunes were less than stellar, but feel like more half thought out ideas than terrible tunes.

Keep Your Day Job is pretty bad, more lyrically than musically.

Some of the Brent tunes are awful, but I feel bad being overly critical. I Will Take You Home out of Space always makes me think the spaceship took a wrong turn and landed at a Michael McDonald concert.

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It may be a moot point.
    Are spot on. If the final isn't 4/12/78 vs. 4/16/78 then we're all delusional. :nyah:

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I always liked Lazy River Road, though I can’t remember the last time I played one. That probably says more about the era than the song though.

23. bzfgt

Exactly. I love all four of those songs and never play them.

adamos likes this.
  24. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Might as well throw this Fall 89 Peggy-O into the mix.

There's some gremlins plaguing Weir's guitar, but Jerry sounds good, he gets bopping mid way through, and it has some nice solo's.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob, trd and 2 others like this.
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Lazy River Road. Good song that might have been a classic in another decade.

"So Many Roads", on the other hand, is in my opinion a classic. It's at least as good as "Black Muddy River", which I also consider a Jerry classic. Had these songs been sung in the 70's... we'd be all looking at them very differently. It sure wasn't the song's fault it arrived a decade or so too late.

This, of course, also explains why I have difficulty understanding people who completely dismiss the 90s. No 90s... no So Many Roads... and a world without So Many Roads is not as good a world as one with that song in it.

Mansley, Blue Note, Ezzie and 9 others like this.