The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

In The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Kesey and MG and others go to the Beatles at the Cow Palace, and I think they're all dosed, but I think it's mentioned that the sound was horrible. But I didn't know if that was just because of the state of PAs at the time. I mean, it seems every Beatles show in a big hall had crappy sound based on what I've read.
    This made me go to Dead.net and look for a new box. Wishful thinking.

Now on 2/22/69, 30 Trips.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

3. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

How did I reply to a post that came after the reply post I'm quoting? This 'Drums>Space' from 5-4-91 that I'm listening to is messing with my head.

5. Archtop

Archtop Infinity goes up on trial!

The curved tone arm directed you to a parallel universe. I'm all about straight tone arms with angled cartridges, but that just makes me a snob.

6. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

I deleted and reposted with a smaller picture that wasn't so huge...lol.

ruben lopez, dgwint and ianuaditis like this.
  7. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

Corrected:

Do you go for the Stevenson, Baerwald or Loefgren B alignment?

Archtop likes this.
  8. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

[​IMG]

needle-drop of original mix

9. Archtop

Archtop Infinity goes up on trial!

Oy, I've no idea. I just drop the needle and settle in.

ThirdBowl, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Rega!!!

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

I don't have a record player listed in my profile, so I believe forum rules prohibit me from entering this discussion. Or something.

Anyway, Standing on the Moon is another late period song that delivers, IMO. My high school self is rolling his eyes at me right now.

I'm trying to decide if I should start up the Closing of Winterland movie. I might not get to it for a couple of days otherwise, but it's also getting late.

3-26-73 in Baltimore is my other option.

ThirdBowl, Crispy Rob, Ezzie and 7 others like this.
  13. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

Watching Closing of Winterland is a whisper I keep hearing in my ear. I just ordered the 5 disc soundtrack a few days ago. I remember I was turned off by it when it first came out because of the reverb on the sound. 5 disc of multitrack Grateful Dead for 20 bucks is impossible to pass up though.

ThirdBowl and ianuaditis like this.
  14. Freebird

Freebird how bizarre

15. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Best bang for the buck on your local auction site.

Cow Palace NYE 76 is cheap as well. Nice artwork too.

16. US Blues

US Blues Forum Resident

Trust us, we're your friends. Have we ever steered you wrong? ;)

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  17. track11

track11 Forum Resident

I'm guessing you are talking about the 1974 movie soundtrack (getting 5 discs for $20), but since you started by discussing "Closing..." I thought you were talking about a 5-disc Closing of Winterland release, which had me double-checking that there was no such thing. Well, dammit, there is, the 4-disc concert with a 5th bonus disc! I know a lot of folks complain about the limited-release model of releases, and I see both sides of that argument, but what has driven me absolutely nuts are all the bonus discs from these past releases. I view the Dave's bonus discs as separate, that's been a standard as part of the subscription, but I swear every day I find out about another bonus disc. Cow Palace 1976? Bonus disc. Egypt? Bonus disc. Rockin' the Rhein? Bonus disc. Argh! I know, I know, to the Archive I go, but GoGD fanatics NEED everything, dontcha know?

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Watched Truckin Up To Buffalo last night. Typically solid '89 Dead. I wasn't giving it my full attention (kids) until the middle of set 2.
    I was surprised to hear the quick Playing reprise which got a little interesting before dropping into the chorus.
    Post-drums was scorching hot after I Will Take You Home.
    Watchtower has Garcia shredding through the solos. Morning Dew is outstanding, with very powerful full band dynamics. The highlight is probably Not Fade Away with Jerry and Brent trading bars for a long time. It was great to see Jerry so animated and just having fun on stage.
    I remember reading that he usually didn't like when others repeating his lines, but Brent is doing that with embellishments and they both looked energized by the other one.

ThirdBowl, Ray29, ianuaditis and 7 others like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

I didn't even know Greg Kihn Band was around yet in 76...that was well before "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah."

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Probably a bad time to bring up the Road trips bonus discs, which are amongst the best officially released material.

Grateful Dead Bonus Discs

21. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

In one of those quirky situations where Amazon sorts things in confusing ways, I found a listing for the Wall of Sound RT set a couple months ago for 10 bucks... and it wasn't entirely clear but offered some small hope that the bonus disc was included. Sadly, it was not. The main set was still way more than a steal at that price, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed when I opened the package.

Elsewhere, a copy of the 2011 RT bonus disc popped up yesterday for a buck but has already far surpassed what I could ever conceive of paying for a single disc of anything. So tantalizing, though: fall '73 "China>Rider," "Dark Star>Eyes," and "Greatest Story Ever Told"? WANT.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. track11

track11 Forum Resident

Oooh, nice link, thanks!

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Proclamation of the Day:

As is well known and agreed upon herewith, the longest known continuous jam in the History of the Grateful Dead found on discs 2 & 3 of Dick’s Picks 16 from 11/8/69 is even greater than it's gaudy yet often overlooked reputation. Sure there are a few softer gathering spots during it’s 95 minute duration but there are also peaks equal to or beyond anything the boys ever attained.

Check out where Caution is/gets to from 9 to 12 minutes or how about the short post-spilled jam in St. Stephen. Before that towards the end of TOO (famously sandwiched with the Dark Star along with the stunning UJB Jam), things almost go off the rails but the boys simply blast air/sound out of those speakers creating energy simply unknown to probably any other band of that time outside of maybe Cream (already deceased) or The Who. Plus the Dead has Jerry & Phil and those other 2 bands didn’t. Plus the Dead then played on this level on and off for another 10 years.

All praise the GOGD

And to think I almost switched off this first thing this AM. I’ve got the 3:10 Main Ten after I finish the last 3-4 minutes of the front end 17:29 of Caution followed by the last 9 minutes of Caution>Feedback>We Bid You Goodnight for part of my ride home tonight to finish off the onslaught.

Peace and Blessings

24. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Forum Resident

25. Scopitone

Scopitone Inveterate Skipper

1978-04-16
    Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV

Seamons Matrix

Digging this opening "Jack Straw" - it's by no means slow, but it feels mellow.