The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

3-26-73 right now. What is listed as WRS Prelude on the track quickly turns into a typical jazzy 73 jam, containing a hint of Dark Star, and maybe a pinch of Slipknot! as well. Around 6 minutes in, Garcia starts playing a riff on some double stops that draws a response from Phil before that stellar strain begins creeping in again.

But rather than Dark Star, it winds into a smooth transition to Wharf Rat, as if they'd planned it out that way all along. Then, in foreshadowing of Dave's Picks 21, Bobby McGee shows up in the middle of a jam, bridging Wharf Rat and Eyes of the World>Morning Dew.

So far, as much as I've always liked 2-15-73, I feel like March 73 is on quite another level from the month before.

Earlier I listened to disc 3, what is surely the crown jewel of the GD movie soundtrack, while doing some more spring cleaning. After a much wider exposure to a great many versions of Dark Star over the last few years, I think its remarkable how much this one really stays 'at home' for most of its length. They had just done a bunch of space and weirdness with Phil and Ned and the preceding jam, so I get that, but if you just hear what's presented on the soundtrack version, it's one of the few performances after 1969 where at least one member of the band is playing 'Dark Star' pretty much the whole time. (Even in that funky jam after the verse, Garcia stays on the theme in his soloing.) Or at least that was my impression of it this time around.

It's kind of fitting that I happened to tackle that project today, and that the Movie soundtrack was up there in my CD player, as next up on my queue is 12-31-78, the Closing of Winterland, and the next performance of Dark Star, some 187 shows since it was last performed in 74.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. ianuaditis

I was going to say, I think that's the one where he thought a hit was out on him. He also talks about that in the Jerry on Jerry book IIRC.

I'll see if I can find it.

edit: McNally kind of groups the interviews together by subject rather than laying them out chronologically, but its basically the same story except its 500 hits of STP and 200 of acid in the frosting.

3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That was my take.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

You can't wrong with either one. I'm more partial to live Dead so I would pick up Europe '72 and Shrine '67 and Fillmore '69. Killer music with killer sound , all three mixed from multitracks by Jeff Norman

nfmboss666, SBegonias17 and Goggen like this.
  5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, hallo there fellow Norger! While they all be worthy additions to any collection in almost any format, that one really is a no-brainer. Best show ever. It's like a schpaa kæbe with free beer in her hands.

footlooseman, ianuaditis and Goggen like this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Full on, through the years, studio out takes, rehearsals and demos?

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

Well, on of the other releases surely is the reissued Anthem of the Sun, so we can breathe just a little easier.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

18 October 1974 was one of the rare times that Dark Star wasn't nearly as spacious as the surrounding material. It became the home port (Deep Space 9?) for a much more exploratory mission.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It sounds a bit like a skip but I think that is just some noise from Jerry's guitar and Bill's toms (which both have reverb effects added at this point). There's a slightly awkward drum phrase from Bill around that point too.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Thanks for advise! :tiphat:

Went with Shrine 67 and Europe 72. Thinking I will have a pretty good base for further explorations with the upcoming RSD 69 San Francisco and my already bought and beloved Cornell box.

nfmboss666, bzfgt, Scopitone and 4 others like this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

IMHO... sacrilege as it may be... Europe 72 vol. 2 is just as good and in some ways more interesting than vol. 1. :hide:

US Blues, Ray29, warewolf95 and 9 others like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Better as it has the mind-blowing Dark Star>Drums>The Other One.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In all honesty, only the third LP of Europe '72 (Truckin'/Morning Dew) is special to me now that we have the other sources of that tour.

warewolf95, Scopitone and ianuaditis like this.
  14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

15. Claxton

4/17/71 - Dang, that Good Lovin>Drums>Good Lovin

16. Claxton

You'll need all the help you can to make it through West Texas.

17. BurtThomasWard

That is the only correct answer to this conundrum ;)

...and later you should also try to get E72 Vol. 2, as stated above. It is a scorcher.

18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Way better, you mean.

warewolf95 and lucan_g like this.
  20. ianuaditis

21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I know. One of our nightmare runs was El Paso to Laredo. No interstate. Mountains. No signal. 500 miles of wilderness. Voltage regulator exploded....bad times man :(

22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

But more excitement than I've had in a year.

23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Theres a difference between good excitement and "the Titanic is sinking" excitement :D

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  24. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Listened to this show this a.m., too - it's a good one.

25. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I would add in 5-4-77 as that would be a very nice upgrade as a proper release.