The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

2. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I was wondering when someone was going to bust out this quote.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  3. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Is that from the Richfield run? That's a solid 91 run.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

D. None of the above.

When I saw "The Dead" at Red Rocks in 2005 (?) Bobby opened a second set with Weather Report Suite. I was in heaven right then and there, because that's Grateful Dead music.

5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I’d take Sailor>Saint any day of the week.

Crispy Rob and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

100% agreed

Crispy Rob and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I smiled to myself when Bill mentioned in his book how he and Mickey were bored during Sailor and then a few months later Bob played it at Fare Thee Well.

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I was at that run and really liked it. I’ll quote myself from a while back to save typing but I had a wonderful experience at the 9/6/91 show.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

No. Plangent can be used to correct pitch also, it just requires a bit more information about the original recorder. I believe that is now being done for GD releases that go to Jamie. In any case, GDP/Rhino/David and Jeffrey now appear to be speed/pitch correcting the official releases, since the 30 Trips debacle.

10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The 30 Trips version of 10/27/79 is only about 1% slow, I think. I haven’t listened in a while, but that’s what my notes say

11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Just caught up on the World Cup on my DVR accompanied by selections from 7/29/74 Landover. Not a bad Tuesday evening.

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Today Dick Pick 1 and now One From the Vault

laf848, adamos, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  13. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Didn't notice that the Relisten site had been updated since I only recently started using it and haven't used it a whole lot. But I was using it today and it kept skipping to the next track on me. I'd be a couple of minutes into a particular song and it would just jump to the next track. Gave up after a bit and went youtube instead for some DP12, gaps/ads and all.

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

5/14/78 one more time - is that the best Cassidy jam ever?

A bit more subdued show than the more famous 5/10 & 5/11/78 shows from Dick's 25. Same quality to these ears. Spring 78 is filled with wonder.

Big River also as good as any other version. Jerry is possessed.

Mansley, bzfgt, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

An irrefutable pronunciation from @Dahabenzapple

17. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Some fantastic 90s recommendations, thanks guys. One thing I’ve really been digging is the lively sound quality, especially on some of the official Spring 90 releases. Really giving me a new appreciation for the band. 1977 will always be my fav, followed by 72, but I can see 89/90 making its way into my library just as well.

By the way, saw some talk here of Ladies and Gentlmen and I agree it’s one incredible release. Serves as a great intro to newbies, and a stellar document for fans. There’s an energy there that is simply indescribable.

laf848, adamos, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Ok, note takers - are you keeping a notebook? If so, how do you order/arrange the notes? Are they just in whatever order you happened to listen? I’m intrigued

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm on notebook #3, since last year, just in order of what I happened to listen to.

Notebook 1 was a spiral notebook, but 2 and 3 have been composition books, they sell them at the dollar store and I have probably a dozen blank ones floating around my house (in various colorful patterns.)

It says 'GD Notebook #x' on the front. I've mostly been listening to years in order over the past year +, so I also write the years on the front, e.g 78 or 83 (2/2)
    Is there enough memory on your computer or device? This was happening to me on the Archive, and it led me to realize some kind of bug in the logs of my o/s was causing it to store tons of needless log data that filled up almost my entire hard drive.

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  20. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Agree that '79 30Ts isn't much out of whack if at all. My fab vintage/modern stereos and my ears usually pick up on those kind of sonic anomalies PDQ.

My retail GoGD sound quality notes are still mental. (There aren't that many, tbh.)

trd likes this.
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I will listen now and let you know. As it stands, 10/21/83 was outstanding, with Phil (musically) stomping around like a madman, but my favorite to date is the alternate version on the expanded Reckoning. Bobby really makes that one with some great voicings throughout and some truly jagged, angular chords to circle back to the vocal.

Edit: Well, it's really tight and cleanly played. I dig it, but it doesn't quite unseat the alternate on Reckoning for me. It may or may not unseat 10/21/83, but they are two very different species of cladocerans.

Second edit: I listened again, this time just to the solo segments. The first Jerry solo is fantastically lyrical, much like what he did on the first passes through WRS, Peggy-O and Jack-A-Roe, and the second solo is great. Strong stuff. But more on point, it was mentioned a while back that someone "in the know" said that Jerry couldn't play rhythm to save his life (or something along those lines). So take a listen to 2:56-3:06 of the 5/14/78 Cassidy - just after Jerry's first solo, he immediately switches to rhythm and plays some really well-voiced, unconventional R&R rhythm. Stick that in yer pipe...and related to that, on the alternate Reckoning version I love so much, it's Bobby who is doing similar rhythmic voicings. He gets much vitriol here at certain times, probably mainly for his singing. But he was, and to some extent remains, a brilliant guitar player. Yes, yes, yes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Mansley, laf848, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I need to hear 5/14/78 again.

Crispy Rob and SteveFff like this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I figured as much. But I'm sure this issue came up at the time of its first use in the '73 box. I wonder what a search on DNC would turn up. Unfortunately, I don't recall the exact rationale for not using pitch correction.

Archtop likes this.
  24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

If the answer is laziness or expense, it's completely unacceptable to me (assuming the pitch issue is actually perceptible to the typical human ear).

25. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

One of my favorites from 30 Trips. I didn’t know it before I received the box, but it’s been one of my most played from it. Perhaps not surprising, as you say, given the remarkable and wild shows before it in May ‘78.

Dahabenzapple and Crispy Rob like this.