The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Oh, I know that; I was referring to some "sound guy" (to generally categorize where he was coming from) who stopped in for a cup of coffee a month or two ago and thought we were basically insanely unrealistic for expecting releases to be at correct pitch. He wasn't as nice as I am and I'm not particularly nice, for the most part.

But sure, it's a possibility that everything was played at slightly sharp pitch, but we have issues from 1972 also, do we not? Keith was playing a concert grand at the time, and one would think that they'd tune to concert pitch. In '74, he used both the grand and Fender Rhodes (maybe others?). I don't know if the Rhodes has pitch adjustment like many electronic keyboards from the '80s on had, but I doubt it. In any case, given the languid tempos from '73, we still have pitch issues in terms of being sharp. '74 saw an uptick in tempos to be sure, but note really like '70-'72, so why would they tune sharp and play slowly? It makes no sense. Maybe that's the best argument for why they may have done it, I dunno.

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, Ezzie and 2 others like this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, you had me convinced and then twisted my mind again at the end! I always thought the electronic keys were the best argument that it was on pitch, but I don't really know much about those...

Archtop likes this.
  3. bzfgt

Yeah that's definitely Mickey because he says something about his drum stick after that (although I didn't catch what; I'm pretty sure it's not Kreutzmann although I can't swear I even know what his voice sounds like now that I think about it)

US Blues likes this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

:edthumbs:

Crispy Rob, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  5. pretty sure he said nothing faster than an eighth note

US Blues likes this.
  6. bzfgt

Crap, I just looked at it and now I can't find the quote at all...I did CTRL-F for just about every term I can think of, including
    "nothing, faster, eighth, half, note". I have this crappy Dell computer I have to use right now while my Mac is in the shop and I can barely type on it so I am having a hard time navigating but I swear whatever he said must have had one of those words in it...

7. bzfgt

Someone needs to ask Weir and Lesh before it's too late what the band's relationship to concert pitch was in whatever era. I don't know that they could settle it, but someone needs to ask...

Ezzie, Archtop and US Blues like this.
  8. bzfgt

I'm listening to Nightfall of Diamonds right now, 2nd set--which of course will not include IWTYH, I've listened to that exactly once--as it was (grotesquely) happening--I'm always surprised how great this is, I expect to find it lacking after all the 1972 immersion. But it has its own thing going, Jerry's playing is sublime...I don't like the overall sound of the band as much, but oh well..and it's not as Midified as its reputation has it, it's relatively austere in that regard. Anyway, I think it is definitely better than finding a used Herb Alpert album at a Thrift Shop....which @Archtop most likely never said, given my track record recently of remembering his Dark Star pronouncements...on the other hand I don't see how I could have made something like that up!

KCWhistle, adamos, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jerry is playing the Wolf at that show. IWTYH, as performed that night, will tear your Heart Chakra open. It's also Bobby's birthday.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  10. US Blues

Hay!

Did you try Charlie's transfer of the SBD-MR? Although not pith-corrected it will be the most accurate portrayal of the pace of the show.

On a related note, there was a fundraiser recently at LL to buy Joe B. Jones a new flac player with built-in pitch shifting capability for his work pitch correcting GD shows.

adamos, Ezzie, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

You're right - three years in a row of outstanding shows on 17 November. I hadn't even noticed!

Go straight to The Other One from Albuquerque. It's as good as the Star from two days earlier. Don't worry about the December show on Dave's 26 - it's at the level of Dave's 22 (which I like, but I know you have said you're burned out on average '71 releases.)

The other Jack from that show is amazing.

This seems to fit neatly into what rbbert told us - shows from '73 and '74 played back at the "correct" speed are often off-pitch, as I recall, due to the machine they used at the time running slightly off speed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    KCWhistle, adamos, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  12. bzfgt

Funnily enough that's what's in my earphones right now...not for the first time tonight...

US Blues and Six Bachelors like this.
  13. bzfgt

Yeah, Jackaroe, Jack Straw, Deal to end the 1st set....crushing. Deal is about as good as it can be without the final guitar solo...when did they add that? One wants to say 1980 some time, right? I don't think it's very long after this show under consideration which, you'll recall, is 11/6/79...

14. US Blues

:tiphat:

15. US Blues

Close on 40 years ago I had those 3 songs on a tape as filler, and I played that trifecta over and over again.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  16. bzfgt

Currently 1974-06-28....Let it Grow at the moment. Getting ready for the big jam...

17. bzfgt

Missoula Dark Star, then 3-4 hrs of sleep...

18. US Blues

Downrange telemetry has tracked @bzfgt in orbit around Jupiter.

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

IWTYH is annoying in the middle of the long jams. who thought that was a good idea

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

If it's on Relisten, I checked it out. I don't use sites that look like this: b.e.tr.ee.wtf? My life is already complicated enough. And, I have zero interest in pace of shows. I'm interested in the segments that interest me musically in a form that sounds the best and is as close to proper pitch as possible.

Six Bachelors, Ezzie and US Blues like this.
  21. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

IWTYH?

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I Will Take You Home

23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to 11/29/66, night two of a four-night run at the Matrix (the last GD shows at the Matrix). The shows' poster features a somewhat dark pen drawing by the German artist Heinrich Kley.

Kley was a German painter, etcher, draftsman and illustrator whose work had a major influence on the animated films of Walt Disney (Walt also collected Kley pieces). In 1966, Wes Wilson appropriated Kley’s drawing of two dancing turtles playing instruments in a poster for The Turtles at the Fillmore. Many years later, Stanley Mouse would "borrow" the same Kley image for the cover of Terrapin Station.

[​IMG]

Grateful Dead Live at The Matrix on 1966-11-29 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

24. bzfgt

That was the first time I ever heard the song abd while not quite the last, I always skip it. On the night it was a little horrifying to be introduced to it in the middle of all that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

This. All my live shows are tagged this way, because how often do you think "I want to listen to a show from March" as opposed to "I want to listen to a show from 1972"?