The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's a great report about finding a new luthier, and getting things 'just exactly perfect.'

The Scarlet Begonias report is also excellent. A good day near Beantown!

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

great soft release from 74 . the legacy band was just in the states last month. archive holdsworth from 84 just out yesterday

[​IMG]

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

IIRC I called that show the sleeper classic. :)

Archtop and US Blues like this.
  4. US Blues

Find a few examples of shows where you know exactly which guitar her is playing. Compare songs from one guitar to the next, listening for differences in tonality. Then listen for differences in playing style. Keep the time gaps as small as possible from one sample to the next.

I suggest comparing the Bean to the Wolf. Then the Wolf to the Tiger.

When Jerry received the Tiger he commented on how that guitar fit in his hands, a naturalness he had never experienced before. When he got his last guitar, the Lightning Bolt built by the guy in Florida, Jerry said he had been looking for that guitar his whole life. So he noticed differences in the feel of each guitar, which in turn impacted how he played them, differences in how he used his hands.

Take your time, geezers like me have had a head start on you in terms of hearing the nuances.

trd, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Phil does the usual downward bend on the last riff to signal that it's over, but Bill doesn't notice.

6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Whats funny is 1976 is one of the most listened to years for me, but the Bean sounds the same as Tiger and Wolf to me :p

Now, that very last guitar he had in the 90s...yea I DONT like that one haha.

7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

it rocked

Crispy Rob, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well Jerry wasnt the same
    Kind of player by then. The axe did have a different sound but then his hands weren’t working with the same facility.

bzfgt, ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

6.22.74 - Jai Alai Fronton, Miami, FL

Eyes of the World towards the end of this show is just perfect.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

We were at Jones Beach
    When we got the word
    Saddest sound that I ever heard
    The bluest note that nobody could play
    Ravens sang with us that night on the stage
    Tears of sadness, tears of rage
    But nobody spoke, we all felt old
    And in the way

Patchwork Quilt - Gov't Mule.
    Warren was on tour with the Allman Brothers and Black Crowes when they got the sad news.

11. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Controversial maybe, but I'm in that camp of people who think Jerry spent his playing career trying to find a guitar that was more & more anonymous in tone as he went on - I find his various guitar tones after 1979 a pale, pale shadow of the identity he was getting from Gibsons, Strats, Beans etc., prior to that time.

I appreciate that this is what he wanted & some may love it - more power to them - but that "clean middle pickup, through a raft of outboard gear" tone does nothing for me.

12. US Blues

At the first two shows I saw Jerry was playing the Wolf (January 1979). Come September when I saw the boys again it was Tiger time. I saw a good number of shows through the 80's with the Tiger. In December 1989 I went to Cali for the Earthquake Benefit, then 2 nights in LA. Jerry had the Wolf back and the sound of that guitar was clearly and notably different through the same Ultrasound PA than the sound of the Tiger. Richer, more harmonically complex, with a tonality that the Tiger did not approach. Same PA, and same set of outboard gear.

In my experience the Wolf is the preferred guitar.

13. US Blues

8 December 1973- Duke! Did the big jam this morning, there is a section of feedback from Phil that is required listening.

9 December 1989- LA Forum. One of the Wolf shows I saw in late '89. Set II was the highlight of the journey to Cali (not counting a visit to the Garberville area), as good as it got during the period.

jazz_case, adamos and budwhite like this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

11/11/73
    Just Dark Star into Eyes. Nice way to ease into a sunday.

Last light was listening to 11/10 before going out and man that Truckin really got to me

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I suspected that I had been cut off of alerts from this thread because it was inactive for so long, but it was just the thread. But I mention it because the search function on this site sucks--searching for "Grateful Thread" did not turn this up on the first page of results. Terrible!

trd, ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I've said it before, he did himself no favors with that sound. It's a piezo pickup, and it's very unforgiving, even when he's on.
    I feel you're generally right with this, though there are plenty of times in the 80s-90s he gets a good or great tone within a show, it seems like what he wanted was a more versatile sound, whereas in the pre-Tiger years he had a more consistent sound on everything.
    A google search found this thread on the first page (And also the Grateful Thread Embroidery and Thrift Shop in South Tom's River NJ.)

trd and bzfgt like this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I mean the internal search, I hadn't thought to try google...

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

The Grateful Thread is FAKE NEWS!!!!

Phoenician, KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

I am moving more and more closely towards this assessment. It still feels heretical though

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's my fault. I've been listening to way more Phish than Dead since last summer. Plus to the relief of at least a few, I'm running out of things to say about this band.

edit: OK, here's something: I want the PNW box blanket. Have you seen that thing? It's ritzy stuff. Phish has a ritzy famous-brand blanket too, though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    US Blues, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  21. ianuaditis

yes, I meant instead, I've noticed that too about this thread with the site search, though I feel like I usually get the site search to work better than many (judging by the complaints you see.)
    It's not your fault really, Warewolf has like 10 of you guys talking Phish over there.

I thought about becoming a phisherman once I'm done listening to the GD, but I think when I do take a break I will go into Dylan and jazz. I got a bunch of new (to me) jazz CDs this year but haven't listened to much.

22. wavethatflag

@warewolf95 fixed the thread. But at no time did I consider the reprecussions to this thread.

We've gone all Roman Empire over here. This thread is so successful, we've gone off to conquer other parts of the Forum. But at what cost? At. What. Cost? (that's Shatner).

23. ianuaditis

[​IMG]

adamos, Spadeygrove, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  24. wavethatflag

I've noticed this a few times before, but there are some sounds on Garcia that also appear in The GD Movie, during the cartoon part.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    KCWhistle, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

We are just on a short hiatus and will be back soon, refreshed and with two drummers.